National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any of the details about this shooting but it was all over the news last night. Showed the girl in a hospital bed talking about a bullet to her leg, but only one side of the story. This was in the Seattle WA area.

The shooter was a man that had a concealed carry permit, and they kept bringing that fact up, no doubt the media was driving this report. But no details about why the man shot her.

They also stated the man had a prior record but no felony arrests so he was able to get a permit. The media was implying that any minor charges should exclude one from getting a permit in my opinion. His record was for driving issues, I believe.

The media is not our friend!

The man may have just been exercising his right to not talk to police and to consult an attorney. But the media spin had him convicted as the one at fault.

Anyone have the details about this shooting incident??

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/19239719.html

SEATTLE - A man whose gun went off at the Northwest Folklife Festival on Saturday is being held in the King County jail without bail for investigation of assault.
The suspect has been identified as Clinton Chad Grainger, 23, of Snohomish. Police confiscated his gun, a 9mm Glock pistol.

Grainger was taken into custody after his gun went off, injuring two people, at about 6:30 p.m. Saturday, as thousands of people were enjoying the warm sunshine at the annual festival. Both victims were taken to hospitals with non-life threatening injuries.

Witnesses said the shooting occurred when a fight broke out near a drum circle.

"We were all hanging out and this guy tried to pistol whip another guy and the gun went off," said DeAnna Botello, who had gone to the festival with a group of friends and relatives.

A young woman, Sarah Thorsnes, was shot in the thigh and her boyfriend, Joshua Penaluna, was shot in the hand, but witnesses said neither was involved in the original argument.

Investigators later said both people were struck by the same bullet, and detectives were trying to determine whether the gun may have fired accidentally.

Seattle Police Communications Director Greg Schmidt said Grainger had a gun in an ankle holster and someone spotted the weapon and started arguing with him.

"We're not exactly sure how the firearm came out of the ankle holster," Schmidt said. "But at some point in time it did come out, and there was a fight over the firearm."

During that struggle, the single shot was fired.

The shot set off a panic.

"Then everybody ran," Botello said. "One poor little girl almost got run over."

Four people saw the suspected gunman running through the crowd, jumped him and held him until police arrived at what was by then a chaotic scene of screaming, fleeing people.

A band playing nearby, which had stopped when the gunfire erupted, picked up the music again, hoping to calm the crowd.

Grainger reportedly has a valid concealed weapons permit, officials said.

The Folklife Festival, now in its 37th year, annually draws many thousands of people to Seattle Center for music, dancing, food and other activities.

Police stepped up patrols at the Northwest Folklife Festival at Seattle Center after the shooting.

Authorities also blocked off an area of shady trees near the International Fountain where the shooting took place, which is prone to congestion during large events.

Although official attendance figures were not available, at least one man who has a booth at the annual festival said the Sunday crowds appeared to be much lower than they usually are - which he attributed to Saturday's violence.

"Anybody who was here yesterday is not here today," said Jonathon Blankenship, whose booth is near the scene of the shootings. "It's very sad. ... It's been 37 years of Folklife without anything like that ever happening."

But as the day went on, crowds returned. And other festival-goers said they weren't bothered by Saturday's shootings.

"I hadn't thought any more about it since we read about it on the bus and talked and I really hadn't given it another thought," said Carolyn Jones, who brought her grandkids to the festival.

Another festival-goer, Stephanie Hesburn of Puyallup, said she thought conditions were probably safer after the violence - not so much because of the increased police presence, but because people would be looking out for one another.

Leonardo Harrell was photographing musicians at the festivalon Saturday when he heard the gunshot behind him.

"I turned around and everyone was running," he said. "Dozens of people screaming and running in the opposite direction. By the time I actually saw the suspect the cops ran right past me and there were a handful of cops on him."

The man and woman were taken to a hospital to be treated, Witt said. Both are reported to be resting comfortably on Sunday.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

The media made a point of bringing up the fact that the guy had a legal permit a couple of times and taked about his past record.

The article does not sound like a + for gun permit holders.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
sig232 said:
Thanks for the info.

The media made a point of bringing up the fact that the guy had a legal permit a couple of times and taked about his past record.

The article does not sound like a + for gun permit holders.
Another example of the biased, liberal media at their best. I expect no less.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
This would seem to be an important point:

Seattle Police Communications Director Greg Schmidt said Grainger had a gun in an ankle holster and someone spotted the weapon and started arguing with him.

"We're not exactly sure how the firearm came out of the ankle holster," Schmidt said. "But at some point in time it did come out, and there was a fight over the firearm."

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
I have to throw this out there...

I'LL START BY SAYING I DO NOT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED... SO THIS MAY NOT APPLY!

The one thing beyond the media's hype... that I cannot defend, is the fact that this young fella chose to pull, and use his sidearm in a crowded area... and his life MAY NOT HAVE BEEN in immediate danger, as he had 1. time to and 2. decided to attempt a "pistol whipping" rather than needing to shoot to defend.

These types (not stereotyping, but usually young) that have the "I'm a tough guy with a gun" attitude cause the most grief with our fight over second amendment rights. The objective IS NOT to just pull out a gun when ever you want... just because you have one. If you have another alternative, in any manner, that alternative should be exhausted before you make such a choice. Such as walking away if possible... or even duking it out monoemono.

I firmly believe, anyone who's first resort is to instantly break out his sidearm, or has the "I'm a bass ass cause I'm armed" attitude , should have their license stripped. Such instances merely make the Anti-Gun groups look more credible... which is never a good thing.

My opinion is... unless you're prepared to, and need to, use lethal force... un-holstering your firearm in any dispute is just plain irresponsible! I cannot begin to count the number of times I have seen, and heard about such instances happening... the saddest part being, I've known a couple 20 somethings draw with the intention of scaring someone out of a dispute, not knowing the opponent too was armed... and guess what? Both times these kids we're shot dead.

G

·
Why in the f*** did he attempt to pistol whip someone. All he had to do is walk away from the man/woman who started talking sh** to him. Now his dumb @ss is fueling the media and the Gov on how guns are bad. :evil:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if the media spin is correct about this pistol whipping incident. I hope it is not correct.
We will have to wait to see what the truth is about the incident.

I agree though that if in fact the report is true, then the individual appears to have been a loose cannon with a license.

G

·
sounds to me like someone saw the gun and tried to take it away from the guy, and he put up a fight. If thats what happened , you can't blame him can you.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
denjask said:
sounds to me like someone saw the gun and tried to take it away from the guy, and he put up a fight. If thats what happened , you can't blame him can you.
I was wondering if this is what happened.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
denjask said:
The thing is though... I've read several other articles other than this one. Search the kids name on google. One read, witnesses said that there was a period where he was arguing with the other man, and kept threatening him saying "I'm packing heat"... long before he actually drew his firearm.

Second...

He takes medication for anxiety and schizophrenia and has been in a methadone maintenance program through the WCHS Renton Clinic since the age of 18.
Again, I do not know exactly what happened, and I am not one to hold the media's take on everything as factual... However, article after article... Seems to me, maybe this guy should not have had a license to carry to begin with, and that he was just as much to "blame" for creating the situation as the other man.

So... Blame Him? I am no man's judge.
Just seems as though a few innocent bystanders were injured due to complete irresponsibility!

You want to play tough guy... do it somewhere where other people will not fall victim to your poor choices...
And a crowded festival IS NOT such a place.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote: He takes medication for anxiety and schizophrenia and has been in a methadone maintenance program through the WCHS Renton Clinic since the age of 18.

If this was in fact true he would never had been able to obtain a gun permit. Schizophrenia is a serious mental disease, often associated with delusional behavior. A background check would expose this problem. A bi-polar condition would keep you from getting a permit if you were under serious treatment for depression and taking medication.

Lots of information coming out on this shooting, this could result in a review of the permit system in Washington state.

G

·
A nut job who slipped through the cracks. LOL! Man this (in some way) is going to have an impact on getting a permit. Next they'll want to start reviewing our medical history.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts