National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching old threads, and the Cannon brand safe was highly recommended.
One thing I found out when looking at these safes in person was that the doors are made with thinner steel formed in a box shape, so there's an air space in between the two layers. I'm not sure if I'm describing this right, but the salesman called it 'composite'.
I was curious how durable it is. Obviously, solid plate is better, but the composite method must have something going for it.
What are your thoughts?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
My chats with the Fort Knox rep revealed that the better priced safes have larger bolts, more of them and a much thicker front door of hardened steel. Thicker plating all around in most cases also. A lock mechanism that is hardened steel and much tougher to defeat. Doors that have frames and bracing that are impossibe to pry open.

A good safe will require a cutting torch or a diamond saw to defeat. That equates to one heck of a lot of noise and lots of time to cut through. That means you have to get the safe away from the home in most cases.

Shop carefully!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Maybe cost savings? weight savings? I wonder what composite. Thats a new one to me. I want my safe be heavy. If someone steals it, Then they've earned it, even empty it was a B!tch to move, now fully loaded, GOOD LUCK!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
The majority of home invaders will not do any more than make a feeble unsuccessful attempt to get into a safe. They are "Tweekers" in most cases and need quick money from the pawn shops. They will steel anything not nailed down that equates to quick dollars. Cameras, guns, watches, cash, video equip, DVDs, TVs, etc. They are in and out of your place within minutes.

Professionals will not mess with the average homeowner usless they are known to keep lots of cash, jewlery or valuable firearms collections on the premises.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts