National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed that I need more light to read the fine print on my prescription bottles and it's nearly impossible to take the standard sight picture (front sight centered in the rear sight notch) with a handgun without my prescription shooting glasses. I know, also, that in a real life confrontation I'll probably NOT be wearing my shooting glasses!

At defensive distances, I've found it quick and effective to aim using only the front sight. Rather than trying to center it between the notch in the rear sight, I elevate the barrel so the notch disappears below it. This gives ME center mass hits as fast WITHOUT my Rx glasses as I can get WITH them using the more traditional method.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
at distances closer than 10 yards i only use the front sight. or what is refered to as a flash sight picture. at those distances speed is more importnat than perfect accuracy

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Yep, old eyes also. I put a set of ghost ring tritium sights on my Officer Model during a refit. I can tell you they made a big difference for me. The ghost ring lets you concentrate in the front sight and not mess around hunting the rear to front sight alignment. The tritium helps in low light whee ghost rings become almost useless.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the XS Big Dot sights work great for us with older eyes and in low light.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If you point your trigger finger and look directly at your target as you are bringing your weapon to bear, you have a significantly improved chance of hitting your target without even using your weapon's sights. This only applies to distances of less than 50 feet.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a month ago I got my cataracts sucked out
at 56, too much welding, too many times flashed
little plastic lenses implanted
now I am 20-20
Never in my life have I been 20-20
need reading glasses, though

New hobby is shooting after work
gets full dark here 5 PM
maglight in left
1911 in right
cross wrists
I can shoot better in the dark, off the tritium frontsight
than I could in broad daylight thru murky lenses

There might be a wolf around here wants to be a rug...
let's go see...

youth is wasted on the young

1 - 7 of 7 Posts