National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Last I heard they had merged with Bersa and Firestorm.

My hubby has a .44 Super Comanche that is still in SA, and it was a very good, accurate revolver. However their reputation did take somewhat of a dive in the '80s. Have no idea of what they might be like today.............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SheNine said:
Last I heard they had merged with Bersa and Firestorm.

My hubby has a .44 Super Comanche that is still in SA, and it was a very good, accurate revolver. However their reputation did take somewhat of a dive in the '80s. Have no idea of what they might be like today.............
I like bersa and old Llama but firestorm is left to be desired .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a dealer try to sell me a Comanche. They are S&W or Taurus looking DA revolvers that are made in Spain. I was told by this dealer that they "are made right here in the U.S.A." I had never heard of them. He finally found the brochure and on the back it said they were imported by so and so. I said, "right here in the U.S.A. huh?" I walked out.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
The Comanche revolver is about the most poorly made piece of junk I've ever seen. Ordinarily one would have to abuse a revolver for many years with malice aforethought, in order to have one perform so poorly.

We purchased several of them for the gun club for use in the "NRA First Steps" program. Every one was defective. Right out of the box you could feel how bad they were. The cylinders would bind, the trigger and hammer would bind. When pulling the hammer back to fire single action, the hammer would frequently just quit going back. One bound up so badly that one of the novice shooters had it go off accidently (he was pulling the hammer back, the hammer quit going back, his finger continued its motion and let go of the hammer). Quite scary for anyone, especially a newbie.

I think they were about $170.00 a piece. That's about $150.00 too much. I won't shoot them and I won't sell them.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Here's what one of the old timers on THR had to say about Comanche revolvers:

"I saw a pair at the Reno NRA convention gun show. That would be...what, 3 or 4 years ago?
Anyways. These guns were for display purposes. So you figure they'd put good ones out, right?
Well these "good ones" looked like they'd been built by drunk chimpanzees. Epileptic drunk chimpanzees. Going through a heroin withdrawal...on a rollercoaster with one bad wheel. Maybe two.

With NO exaggeration, I wouldn't shoot one unless a bench vice and 100yds of string were involved."

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
gunrnr said:
Here's what one of the old timers on THR had to say about Comanche revolvers:

"I saw a pair at the Reno NRA convention gun show. That would be...what, 3 or 4 years ago?
Anyways. These guns were for display purposes. So you figure they'd put good ones out, right?
Well these "good ones" looked like they'd been built by drunk chimpanzees. Epileptic drunk chimpanzees. Going through a heroin withdrawal...on a rollercoaster with one bad wheel. Maybe two.

With NO exaggeration, I wouldn't shoot one unless a bench vice and 100yds of string were involved."
Well that doesn't sound like the one we had in South Africa!!! That .44 Super Comanche was awesome. It was my hubby's first gun - bought it when he was 18 - and that thing just never had a rest. He'd shoot it every chance he had. His brother has it now and it's still going strong. I do know that the later revolvers were awful, or maybe he was just lucky!!!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I don't know the whole story about what happened with Llama. I'm thinking that they either went under and were resurrected by another company, or almost went out of business, or whatever. All I do know is that they used to produce marginally-OK handguns years ago. Nothing to brag about, but a usable, safe gun for the money. Over the past 4-5 yrs (that I know of) they produce garbage.

Just the opposite of some of the third-tier foreign producers. Twenty yrs ago I wouldn't have given you $10.00 for some of the Eastern- or Southern-European guns and now there are some really good ones out there.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I was just speaking to him about his, and he said it was good for the price. Shoots well, but the quality was not on par with some of the revolvers you can buy today. He said that today he wouldn't touch a Llama with a ten foot pole!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.