National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,927 Posts
They 'reintroduced' it once before: The Python Elite.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,269 Posts
This just shot to the top of my bucket list. The MSRP is $1499, which is a lot cheaper than what's on the used market.

·
AZHerper
3,735 Posts
Of course Colt reintroduced the Cobra some time back and are continually adding variants like the Night Cobra and King Cobra.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The original Pythons were assembled by craftsmen who knew what they were doing and took pride in their work. They are long gone. That was back in the day when they were allowed and encouraged to take the time do it right. Manufacturing has evolved into time is money and production is the goal. I don't believe these new Pythons are comparable to their ancestors and am sure hardcore Colt enthusiast will agree.

Just like the Smith fans who dismiss the new revolvers that aren't pinned and recessed. I'm not necessarily one of them but have a model 19-4 that's in good shape. I shoot it once in a while but I consider it a collector piece. An affordable pinned and recessed model 29 is in my future if I ever find one.

I may end up getting one just to have one just like I may get a Super GP100 with a similar MSRP. I expect my buy point is closer to a grand.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,927 Posts
Refuse to be a 'beta' tester!

Reactions: jtguns

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
So anyone know what the MSRP is?

·
Registered
529 Posts
No blued version released. The incredibly rich bluing and polish on the originals was legendary. At retail prices North of $1250, I would want that legendary bluing rather than nickel plating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really hope Colt releases a blued version. The stainless looks good, but the rich bluing is gorgeous. I wonder if they have plans to release it in the future? I wonder if Colt planned to release the blued version, knowing that people are big fans, but decided to go with stainless first so that people say, "Stainless is better than nothing. I better get it", pick up a stainless model, and then buy the version they really wanted (blued) as it is released in the future. In doing so, Colt would sell two guns to the same person and make more of a profit than releasing both versions simultaneously and that person going with one or the other.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
I really hope Colt releases a blued version. The stainless looks good, but the rich bluing is gorgeous. I wonder if they have plans to release it in the future? I wonder if Colt planned to release the blued version, knowing that people are big fans, but decided to go with stainless first so that people say, "Stainless is better than nothing. I better get it", pick up a stainless model, and then buy the version they really wanted (blued) as it is released in the future. In doing so, Colt would sell two guns to the same person and make more of a profit than releasing both versions simultaneously and that person going with one or the other.

It was probably a cost issue. To get the quality bluing they used to do now would probably push the price another $200 or so.

Reactions: Wag

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A blued version would be nice. Stainless is a chore in itself to keep nice. If you actually use your firearms.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,269 Posts
I doubt a true blued version will be available anytime in the foreseeable future. If you look at the Cobra series, the semi-closest they come to a non-Stainless finish is a "matte black DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) coating". Hopefully I'm wrong, but we will simply have to wait and see.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Already? For what?
There are confirmed reports from at least one distributor of a few hundred being recalled - poor workmanship. I'm at least one case, the cylinder was so badly out of alignment, the distributor couldn't get it to open. There's a vid on the web of you Google Colt Python recall and a few other reports.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Honestly, for the price the new ones are listed for, you can get an original. If you can find one, that is.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a bummer they are having issues with the new ones.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts