National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the Colt fan that has it all, in less than an hr these vintage Colt M16A1 receiver pieces can be transformed into your own personal work of art. Price is for one Colt M16A1 piece rated in A quality with clear rollmarks, 2 keyrings, and blank dogtag for tracing around the logo for easy cutting and drilling. Grinder, dremel, or file, the outsides can be trimmed to remain the beautiful timeless markings of the machinegun that changed history forever. Supply's are limited. Be the only person at the range with a machinegun keychain. Price for one kit is $28 shipped. Price for 3 is $75 shipped.

Another option is to buy a complete one. Considering work and consumable tooling, the price for a completed keychain is $75 each.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,019 Posts
$75 for a keychain! That's hilarious!

Reactions: Speed

· Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Just trying to help here. Read everything first....

Dont understand the dog tag.....anyways.....So for 75 dollars each - for ONE finished - key chain? I know you have a limited number and don't have the time but really. Much as I would like to say yes...dude, I know know you don't have the time to make them like you said.... yet if you can find some M16 or AR15 nut out there to pay this. good for you. My best wits on this is to make them and GIVE them to your friends.

I know you're trying to "save" history yet you don't even know for sure if they were even used in Korea, Vietnam, or even if they were training rifles. Still good luck in finding the fan bois to pay this much...I'm sure there is a ton out there.

In honest opinion I would have given 15...20 TOPS for one completed. Pipefitter here so I know what it would take to finish.

What I'm getting at is you have a good thing (and you don't know if you'll get a thing like this again) don't make it turn sour in people mouths or let this reputation last with you through the net.

I understand if you don't know if you'll get this again, still three to four hours of work, of guys like yourself, to pay for a key chain?

I know these will sell - there are blinder wearing fan bois out there looking to buy these - yet for the price you offer it looks to be long time before you sell everything you want.

Not saying its bad just I would have bought three or four for 15 or 20 each. Or 7 and some change shipped for "the kit" Now you must see how long you will sit on this offer to sell everyone of them.

Might be your objective. "Give me enough and I'll make them"...ok I can see that. You want to recoup money you spent for scrap too. If I didn't have the time I would pose a high price too, yet please dont be offend if you get flack here, or on other forums, for your price.

Then again I don't know how much you spent for these amongst all the scarp in that barrel you bought. You said a down payment on a car. I hope you make it back.

Heres another thing....probably big too.....you might be looked into by the ATF for selling a firearm. These were decommissioned yet does this mean you can sell the decommissioned serial number? The serial number is a select fire firearm. AND anything with a serial number for a firearm is a firearm. I know, grey area there. Please look into this before selling. I do not want to see a member screwed for something in the grey. Ask the ATF before you do anything with sales. I do not want to see you screwed over for something you're trying to do good with.

Good luck with everything!

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,180 Posts
Also. Scrap aluminum is going for 20-25 cents a pound. The scrap yard has no sentimental value, they dont care what these are or were and very likely sold these for the price of scrap. (I have a close friend in the scrap business)
So lets say there was 50 pounds of receivers. that's $12.50 scrap value.

I agree with @Mad Scientist, $75 for a finished keychain in beyond ridiculous.
That said, you do you.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Spent my only day off last week finishing a batch for customers. $75 is the price that motivates guys to make their own. I am not trying to be a machinist, I sell more DIY kits than keychains, but for those who don't want to make them, they have the option to buy a complete one. $250,000 for a Lambo, or $25 for a bus pass, they will both get you there :)

Also, totally legal. A machinegun is a machinegun unless demilled then scrap. I wouldn't think I would need to leave a disclaimer, but here it is: Don't make a machinegun without proper licensure. Cannot be reactivated by method of DEWAT. If welded to your transmission it may qualify as fully automatic (hehehe, i made a funny)

· Banned
129 Posts
Spent my only day off last week finishing a batch for customers. $75 is the price that motivates guys to make their own. I am not trying to be a machinist, I sell more DIY kits than keychains, but for those who don't want to make them, they have the option to buy a complete one. $250,000 for a Lambo, or $25 for a bus pass, they will both get you there :)

Also, totally legal. A machinegun is a machinegun unless demilled then scrap. I wouldn't think I would need to leave a disclaimer, but here it is: Don't make a machinegun without proper licensure. Cannot be reactivated by method of DEWAT. If welded to your transmission it may qualify as fully automatic (hehehe, i made a funny)
+1

14,180 Posts
Ok, things are starting not to add up here.

ATF told you this was no problem “over beers”. 🤔

Just the other day a member asked “let me guess, you’re going to sell the keychains?”
Your reply::
Nope, I cant make enough to keep up with demand. I'm an RN, and right now overtime pays more than keychains.
Yet here we are.

You state...
Spent my only day off last week finishing a batch for customers.
I thought your metal buddy was doing the work as stated here:
but I managed to get my metal buddy some work by making these.
I am very much beginning to think there is some tomfoolery afoot here.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My metal guy is quicker than me. We use the same technique to finish them, but at this point I don't know which are his and which are mine. We both turn out good product. Time is an issue for both of us. The goal was never to sell keychains. The goal is make your own. Somehow respecting the 15 post before selling is a bad thing? Guys....guys...

14,180 Posts
Somehow respecting the 15 post before selling is a bad thing? Guys....guys...
Nope, you’ve done what you’re supposed to with regards to the 15 post. We’d (the Mods) have let you know if you didn’t.

I’d say the larger issue is your price but as I’ve stated. You do you.
good luck.

· Registered
Pistoleer
107 Posts
While I think the acquisition of these destroyed M16A1 parts is cool, I feel their value is being overestimated. I think $5 to $10 for the M16A1 part itself as is would be reasonable. The fully designed keychain for a maximum of $20 would also be reasonable. Beyond those prices, I think it would be difficult to get these sold. I may be wrong but time will tell.

· Registered
17,527 Posts
Also. Scrap aluminum is going for 20-25 cents a pound. The scrap yard has no sentimental value, they dont care what these are or were and very likely sold these for the price of scrap. (I have a close friend in the scrap business)
So lets say there was 50 pounds of receivers. that's $12.50 scrap value.

I agree with @Mad Scientist, $75 for a finished keychain in beyond ridiculous.
That said, you do you.
100% true. I have been scrapping for years and i often see things i want when bringing stuff back. You pay exactly what the scrap yard gets when they sell it and they actually make a tiny bit more because you're transporting it out of their yard. More often than not i'm usually buying lead when bringing scrap in. Another thing they don;t care about is the type of lead. Linotype will sell for the same price as pure lead but that's not the case if you buy it commercially, linotype is considerably more expensive so I'm usually happy to take it off their hands. Several years ago i bought half a bucket of cast bullets which were already hard and cleaned so i just had to toss them into my pot and re cast them.
As far as the key chain I'll pass but probably would have bought one at a reasonable price.

· Registered
4,404 Posts
I looked at this thread but wasn't really interested in a key chain as I have more than enough keys and fobs and mini tools. I poped in out of boredom and wow -- Tough crowd.

· Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
Lots of invalid criticisms here.

1. EVERYTHING is worth what someone will pay for it. There are plenty of people out there with money to burn and burn it they will. I would bet that if you priced them for $300 each, you would still find buyers for them. (See more below.)

2a. Almost ALL purchase decisions are made with emotion, not scientific analysis. Generally, people don't truly analyze or rationalize a purchase until well after they get home with their new treasure.

2b. Almost all NON-purchase decisions are also made with emotion. Non-customers analyze after the fact well after they decline to purchase an item.

3. Perceived value is a factor of price. Quite often, if you don't price something high enough, you create the perception that you're selling trash or at least, selling something that isn't valuable. But put a high price tag on it, and people become interested. Put an even higher price on it and people believe it's even more valuable. It's not unheard of that a price tag that keeps getting higher will get people to flock to the seller demanding that they be allowed to buy. Even offering more than the asking price to assure their purchase at any price.

Those of you sneering at the OP/seller are truly missing out. Not because you're not buying the product and not because you ARE buying the product but because you're not the ones who saw the opportunity to take a box of trash, refurbish it, and make a mint for doing so. That's what America is all about: opportunity in all its forms.

Frankly, I applaud the seller and I hope he's laughing all the way to the bank. And I suggest when he's down to half his stock of product, he doubles his price, perhaps with a slight enhancement that only costs pennies.

Go for it, brotha!

--Wag--

· Aim true !
14,172 Posts

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.