National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally acquired a Colt for the collection. I have had this on backorder with a small shop for 6mo or better. Never turned up. I took the boys into Scheels while we waited for mom to get out of the doctors office and ran into one new for $999. Needless to say, it was sold immediately. These have been going to between $1299-$1899 on gunbroker since I put mine on backorder. It was a no brainer.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Great looking and good price (these days)

Congrats! You have many to go shoot! You're soon going to need a bigger case in which to carry them all!

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Picked it up early. Still have to get the other two tomorrow. Let’s start with the finish…

The slide and frame finish overall is very good. It has a matte texture much like the Springfield Loaded or Garrison but the flats are done a little better than the Garrison (I’ve seen both good and poor work on the Garrison with respect to rounding the edges).

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry

Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel Everyday carry

Fitment leaves a lot to be desired. So much play in both directions that it actually rattles. Millwork also leaves something to be desired. Who can tell me what dyed the stainless orange?
Brown Wood Automotive tire Tints and shades Pattern

Feed ramp has no polishing. Well cut but rough.
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wood Bicycle part

First round got hung up. Dropped the slide three times before it chambered. It was the only one that hung though.
Hand Automotive tire Wood Tire Finger

Plastic main spring housing bad
Circuit component Finger Rectangle Gadget Cable

Fiberoptic was easy to see. Adjustable rear sight was nice to have. Dual recoil spring was noticeably lighter in felt recoil. Felt more like shooting a 9mm than a 45. Grips are like Velcro to anything that they touch. Not sure I like that. That’s all I have for now, I’ll have more after I’ve shot it a few times.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn’t mention the trigger above. I found it nothing to write home about. It’s one of the heavier triggers, probably tied with my Loaded as the heaviest. Has about as much creep as my Metro 45. There was quite a bit of take up and creep before adjustment. There is a noticeable catch in it too. My son was just watching and he noticed it (that’s pretty rough when my kid noticed without ever pulling it). You can hear it. You can also feel it in the grip safety.

I left it out of the initial thoughts on the gun because, out of the box, it was pretty rough. Took about 6-8 turns of the adjustment screw just to get rid of most of the take up, but there is still a bit there that can’t be adjusted out. It definitely helped with the trigger just kind of flopping around in there. Creep is still there but oddly, adjusting the take up took some of it out. I’m guessing because the trigger isn’t doing some of the settling during the pull that it was doing prior to making the take up adjustment.

Again, after the adjustments, it’s a lot better than it was all around but it is still the worst of any 1911 I have. It’s right around 5-5.5lbs. We tested it side by side with every 1911 I had. Both me and my oldest, we both agreed that it’s the worst of the bunch. It’s not unusable, but it definitely doesn’t deserve the Competition badge.

I have that Wilson combat trigger coming. I’ll do some close inspection when I swap them out. See if I can identify the source of that weird catch.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Wow… a bit disappointing overall… I’ll be interested to hear your continuing evaluation. maybe it will shoot accurately and operate without malfunction even given the rattling slide and non-polished feed ramp

• I was wondering if the red fiber front sight would be easy to see… some red ones are difficult to see (for me)
  • yes… that style G10 grips are ’grippy’… I have some on my Ed Brown and used to have some on my competition Bob Marvel Caspian

I've become a bit of a trigger snob and like the lighter, crisp triggers on the three 1911s I currently have (Dan Wesson A2, Ed Brown FX2, Kimber KHX)

I do not have the desire/inclination (nor competence probably) to do a trigger job on a 1911… and we have no one here in town I can find to do them

thanks for sharing the details… I’ll look for some of these same items on my next 1911 I pick up later today (stainless Bul Armory 9mm)

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow… a bit disappointing overall… I’ll be interested to hear your continuing evaluation. maybe it will shoot accurately and operate without malfunction even given the rattling slide and non-polished feed ramp

• I was wondering if the red fiber front sight would be easy to see… some red ones are difficult to see (for me)
  • yes… that style G10 grips are ’grippy’… I have some on my Ed Brown and used to have some on my competition Bob Marvel Caspian

I've become a bit of a trigger snob and like the lighter, crisp triggers on the three 1911s I currently have (Dan Wesson A2, Ed Brown FX2, Kimber KHX)

I do not have the desire/inclination (nor competence probably) to do a trigger job on a 1911… and we have no one here in town I can find to do them

thanks for sharing the details… I’ll look for some of these same items on my next 1911 I pick up later today (stainless Bul Armory 9mm)
Disappointment? Yes and no. Even some slide play is fine as long as it shoots straight and runs like it should. I ran two more magazines through it. One more factory mag and one from the Dan Wesson. Both ran fine. Gotta remember, this is kind of the bottom of the barrel from Colt. Its just being compared to its relative peers. If I had spent $1800 off Gun Broker 3 or 4 months ago, I'd be upset, but I didn't. If I compare the fitment to a $500 polymer gun, the fitment on this is better. Compared to it's peers, not so much. Kimber and Springfield both did a better job.

My Dan Wesson trigger isn't real light either, not compared to a Kimber trigger anyway. My Dan Wesson trigger is kinda in between the Springfield Loaded and a Kimber. Best I can tell, Kimber triggers are really hard to beat out of the box. I know how to lighten the trigger pull if I choose to do so. That really isn't what my first impression are about though. That catch in the trigger is what's concerning me.

Grips are easily changed. Nothing wrong with these so to speak, just not my cup of tea. I am sure that if I were competing with this pistol, they would work great. I don't though, its a range gun.

I did notice some tapering on the muzzle end of the slide after I wrote those first impressions. This happens during the finish on the slide. Again, I have had 3 of the Garrisons, I kept the two best and sent the extra to the auction. Why does that rounding and tapering concern me? If I need to take the scratches out at some point, that's more metal I have to take off to keep the surface flat. That and you can see it when the light hits it. If I were to polish the flats, you would really notice it. It's a sub $1k gun, I don't expect perfection and what I see is fine.

Feed ramp I can polish up in 5 minutes. It just should have been done in the factory. So far, that first round is the only one that hung but the potential is there. The proof will be in the pudding.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, changes made. I couldn’t find anything wrong with the components inside that would explain the the weird catch I felt in the trigger. The only thing I really see different between the triggers just looking at them is that the Colt has some tabs hanging off the bottom (pic is upside down). It’s possible that since the trigger was loose fit that could have been what I was feeling. An actual gunsmith could probably chime in and let me know.
Wood Finger Gesture Thumb Hardwood

The inside in the trigger related components were impressively done. Even the channel the trigger rides in is better done than 90% of one’s I’ve opened up and looked in.

When I installed the Wilson Combat trigger, I initially thought I was going to have to fit it because it was so snug but once it was in, it’s perfectly fit. No play whatsoever. This in itself made a big difference. The creep is still there but unless you are pulling it extremely slowly, it blends in with the break now in a more fluid motion. Some of that could just be wiping the parts down and applying oil. Some due to better frame to trigger fitment. Seriously, it could not have been hand fit any better.
Air gun Everyday carry Wood Trigger Gun barrel

Air gun Wood Everyday carry Gun barrel Trigger

The magwell / mainspring housing I installed was left over from when I was going to change out the one on the Raptor but decided against doing so. Doesn’t look bad, it’s stainless instead of plastic. I put the guts from the plastic one in it.
Pen Automotive lighting Office supplies Writing implement Bicycle part

Grips will be changed at some point when I find the right ones. I just had these sitting on my desk.

I did not adjust the trigger weight. It is smooth enough at this point that I’m happy with where it is. I am used to my Loaded triggers and the trigger weight is very similar.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Decided to try DuraGrips. They had a similar pattern to VZ Fallouts. At $70, I wasn’t happy with how the Fallout grips were out of the box. At $25, I thought I’d try these.

Air gun Wood Everyday carry Trigger Gun barrel

First, I like the look on this gun. They appear to be some sort of plastic instead of G10 material. You can tell by the sound the material makes, it’s not the same material.

Second, sharp edges. Not as bad as the VZ Fallout grips but still not comfortable. The cutouts need to have a slight taper put on the edges like I did with the fallouts, only no where near the extent I did to those. Downside is, I don’t know how the material will take the die grinder. They are solid black and appear to be ABS plastic so it may show.

The surface grip texture is on par with the cheap G10 grips I just took off it. That’s a plus. I’ll update after I break out the die grinder and see how the material takes the modifications.

The ones on the Kimber are the most comfortable. You can see they aren’t the same. Notice the tapered finger grooves on the Kimber grips. The Kimber grips also have the thumb relief cutout.
Wood Air gun Everyday carry Gun barrel Wood stain

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe these will probably be the permanent grips. Third time is the charm right?
Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Line

They are girthy and feel a little strange. Not uncomfortable, just strange. But I like them.
Office equipment Bumper Wood Communication Device Machine

Wood Rectangle Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt

They need some work inside the holes where the bushings sit. The backside of the holes are huge. Defeats the purpose of the bushings. Might pug them with a sliver of air hose or JB weld if that doesn’t work. Just to make sure they stay in place. I’ll try the hose first if I can find a piece that’ll work. JB weld, I can probably press into place, pull them back off and let it cure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts