National Gun Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1909 Colt saa in 45 cal. The issue is, Colt archives reports that is was manufactured as a 38/40. And sent to Novell Shapleigh Hardware in St. Louis, Mo.
My question is, did Novell do any gun smithing at the store. The gun is in impeccable condition so it was done by a pro, using Colt parts.
I understand that this was a very popular transition around this time as everyone wanted the larger caliber. How does this affect the value.
Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
There is some history on the hardware store on the net: http://www.thckk.org/history/shapleigh-history.pdf but no mention of gun smithing. There is also a catalog from 1936: Shapleigh’s Hardware Catalog 1936 – Diamond edge is a quality pledge but no mention of firearms. The store was a major supplier for folks moving west so It is entirely possible that it was farmed out to a local for the conversion.

I can't speak to value but I'm sure Popeye can chime in here.

PS> pictures are always very helpful.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Either farmed out local smith very common practice or an aftermarket conversion many years after by cowboy enthusiast value wise I have learned to check auction sites/gun broker and see what the sales bring. and make myself an informed price. or insurance value.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts