National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it can take some deep pockets to put together a collection today. I was wondering if there was any guys who may have been doing it for a long time and already has a nice collection of guns. I have a few old guns but they are family heir looms. If you have them, please post them and tell us about them. We like them old guns and stories behind them. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
957 Posts
My oldest gun is a Springfield M1, correct grade from cmp. It looks pretty good, better that any other I've seen at local gun shows, and shoots well too. You gotta love the PTING sound when the clip ejects. My next oldest gun is a Winchester Centennial '66 that belonged to my gradfather. He bought it and put it up. Its still in the box and never been cycled. All the rest of my collection are relatively new compared to these two rifles.

G

·
I have two type of guns Ones I shoot and ones I would never shoot. I am going to cover the ones I would never shoot (I could shoot them ONCE). I have a I.J American Bulldog (1887-1889) 32 S&W paid 35.00. A JN Scoot all brass except cylinder again 32 S&W (made about 1890) paid 62.50. US Revolver 38 S&W break top, paid 44.00 (made about 1911 to 1921). As I said they all work but all are considered black powder. I have not bought any this year, so I do not know if the prices have gone up. I am not able to pay much because I am on a fixed income, but I can still buy guns.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I tried to upload photos of my little S&W 2nd Model (ca. 1895), but the files were too big. Will try to convert them to gif or something less bulky. Also have a Remington Derringer in .41 RF(pre-1935), which I thought I'd show off.

G

·
I'm going on 65 and collect. (Investment grade)
My family guns are: Parker Bros 20 gua, L C Smith 16, S&W 1 1/2 (circa 1888)
My shooting collect lifetime: Belgium Browning Sweet 16 (1964), Baby Browning (1965) Minty, S&W old model Chief's Special 5 shot .38, pinned and recessed, Remington 1100 12 gua modified (1978) Mossburg Golden Palimino .22 lever action carbine (rare, Minty) 1962, Winchester 94 in 30-30 (1969) Winchester single shot .22 "shooting gallery", 1950 Minty,
I have about 50 collectible handguns, many very rare, one is a one of a kind in existance. My revolvers are listered on the revolver forum section. My pistols are mostly Walther, FN, Browning, H&K, Sig, Beretta, one Kimber Gold Match, all the Seecamps and one or two I don't talk about.
Toys include complete NIB Pen Guns in all known calibers.
Rifle: AK 47 Legend pre ban underfolder with beautiful furniture, bayonet and sheath, Minty (no, not for sale)

Theft Insurance costs a fortune. My collection is in a high grade safe inside a secure, climate controlled, bonded warehouse with alarms and security system- and only 4 people know where that is. My only danger is fire or storm and my homeowners covers them 100% for that.

G

·
I've got a few old guns that could be classified as collector pieces. At least to me. They are all family heirlooms. The first and my favorite, is a Winchester Model 1892 (.38-40) made in the first year of manufacture. My grandfather bought it long ago, used, from an old farmer in Arkansas or an old rancher in Texas. It depends on who is telling the story. I killed my first everything with this old rifle with it's buckhorn sights.

Another is a Winchester Model 1894 .30 WCF that my dad had to buy in 1932 from a pawn shop in Northern California on a deer hunting trip. The family had caravaned from Arizona in two cars to where they were going to hunt and were to meet north of Sacramento. Only, my uncle, who loved to drink stopped off at a bar and got drunk and failed to show up at camp. My uncle had all the guns in his vehicle. On opening day of deer season and no uncle, my dad drove down to Truckee, Ca to the pawn shop and bought the old Winchester to hunt with. Two days later, my uncle, who had been in jail, showed up in camp. The old Winchester has been in the family ever since.

Also, a Winchester 1890 hex barreled .22 pump that my hunting uncle, not the drunk one, bought when he was a youngster. He paid for it by trapping gophers for 10 cents per tail. It's still a wonderful shooter and my main .22 for putting rabbits on the table today...

In addition to the 1890, I have my 62A that my dad bought for me in about 1950 for my very own first 22. Still like new......

Also, a Model 61 Winchester that I bought while attending college at NMSU......Well, can't study all the time.....

Life is good.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Good stories about the family heirlooms but no pictures of them old beauty's. So I'll post a couple.
Here's 1894 Iver Johnson in .32cal. It was my wifes Grandfathers when he was getting the payroll for P&G in Cincinnati,Ohio. He rode a motorcycle for his pick ups and delivery's. These were real common as the river boat gamblers liked them real well. You can hide it anywhere. These were called Owl Heads by most folks.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
Beautiful pictures, baldy. You have me motivated. I'll post some pictures today as soon as my grandaughters get finished babysitting me.........:)

G

·
I see I am not the only one with an owl head pistol (iver johnson)

Mine is a model 1900 .32 S&W.
This revolver has been in my family for over 100 years

G

·
Gunny, that 1900 Iver Johnson is very simular to my American Bulldog also by Iver Johnson. They made a few millon of these guns. My Bulldog acount for about 400,000 along, lst version 1882-1886 and mine 2ed version 1887-1889. Bill Goforth has a Iver Johnson book (2ed edition) that just came out. Prices of old Iver Johnson guns have gone up 25 percent sence the book came out. I saw one like Baldy's 32, at gun range for 109.00. Keep your old Iver Johnson handguns. They may never be worth that of a S&W revolver, but sill good to have.

G

·
Well ........... I got some old guns. Matter of fact, I've got a LOT of old guns.

I had an extensive collection - been collecting since 1960 - when you could still buy
Colt 1911's and Lugars for $50 ... and things like Nambu's couldn't be given away.
My first surplus Mil. rifles were usually $17.95, $18.95 or a whopping $20.95 ...
depending on the grade you wanted! Most were mail order from Los Angeles. My
first two were a Mk. IV Ensfield and a M95 Chilean Mauser (primo) - I cut the 7mm
down into a slick horse scabbard hunter and I forget where the .303 went.

... after them, it's been a blur as to when I acquired them and how.

I'm updating my protos and will be happy to share those with the more interesting
stories - and I have some humdingers!
:)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I started collecting hinged frame Harrington & Richardson handguns a "bunch" of years back, because they were inexpensive, there were lots of them at gunshows and there was a considerable variety. Well, that hobby turned into an obsession, the prices for the pieces I "really" needed to fill niches in my collection rose, and my collection grew and grew, beyond handguns to shotguns and rifles. Today I have a few hundred H&Rs covering examples of just about all the handguns, the basic shotguns and some special production pieces and a couple rifles, all produced from the 1870's up to the 1990's when Marlin purchased what was left of H&R 1871 and NEF. Back in February, I found myself with quite a bit of time on my hands and the proud owner of a new 10 megapixel digital camera. The result of all this is nearly 2000 pictures. This photo research has helped a well known gun author (Bill Goforth of Iver Johnson book fame) in his efforts to produce the FIRST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK, dealing exclusively with H&R firearms and developmental history. This book will fill in a lot of the gaps and rectify incorrect information found in the major guides available today. It should be available sometime in early Spring of 2008. Many of the photos that I have been posting on this forum are part of that research and you folks are among the first to see them. This is an example of a hobby growing into something much larger, you never know where something can lead. :-B-:
Here's a couple older pieces. Note that the American Double Action is s/n 14 and probably produced on first or second day of production of this model in 1883. ADAs were modified numerous times until production ended in 1942. Some history there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here's a picture of my old Mossberg Model L (1929-1933).

And here's a picture of the rifle I had made up for my daughter when she was 6 years old. A 1917 Stevens Favorite with half round / half octogon barrel cut to 18 inches and a semi-fancy Fagen stock.

This next week I'll take some pictues and post them of my old Colt revolvers.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Hey Baldy, there's plenty more where those came from. I'll keep posting so long as nobody objects.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Gabby,
Love the pics of those old rifles, they're great! :i:
Can't wait to see some of your old Colts. I so damn burned out looking at H&Rs for the past 6 months, I'd love to see something else.

Here's several of my favorite H&R rifles:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts