National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replenish my basic 158 SWC for 38. Missouri bullet offers it in plains LSWC and Coated. Coated is $8/500 more.
1) - Is it worth the cost difference?
2) If yes, why?

TIA!

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Depends. Have you ever experienced leading with the plain ones? If not then probably no. Do you want to increase the loads power? if so then yes because you can push the coated bullets a little faster. Do you hate getting lube on your fingers when loading? If so then yes again.

·
Aim true !
10,358 Posts
I like the coated. I pushed some to 1500 plus FPS in my 44 mag and 357. No leading. PS checkout Bayou bullets and SNS casting too. Im always price compairing between the 3 places.

Reactions: Fitasc Shooter

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
have not had a reason to change or try the coated ones......no leading problems and i do not red-line on my reloading......rather tame to moderate.

been happy with missouri bullets for my 38's........

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
I like the coated. I pushed some to 1500 plus FPS in my 44 mag and 357. No leading.
mercy.....that is warm.....good to know though that the coating is working as advertised.......

i don't know if my nerves or hand would still work though........:lol:

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the coated. I pushed some to 1500 plus FPS in my 44 mag and 357. No leading. PS checkout Bayou bullets and SNS casting too. Im always price compairing between the 3 places.
Thanks for that link; SNS is the only one that talks about NOT using certain powders that burn hot and fast, some of which I do use like Titewad. Does the coating melt in the barrel if pushed too hard or fast? Getting lead out can be a PITA, not sure about any coating.

·
Aim true !
10,358 Posts
I had a lot of leading with Tite group. 9mm was the worst. I have changed to sport pistol in place of T.G. I have recovered some 10mm bullets with the coating. That were ran on the upper end. With 11 grains of Blue dot. Coating was in tact.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
I haven't had any coatings stick in the barrel that i have noticed but i have only shot small amounts so far. I'm still shooting up large amount of regular cast bullets i loaded and have only tested 50 or so here and there. I coat mine using Hi-tek coating and the only other downfall i can think of is the smell. It's a weird type of chemical smell when shooting but it's not overbearing. You also get used t it real quick and the last time i shot some i hardly noticed it. Also less smoke than some of the other types of cast bullet lubes too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just started powder coating, I shoot my Lee 500gr SP to 1500fps and have no problems. I also shot some 240gr 44 mag bullets in my Marlin to 1750fps without issue. I plan on trying them in my 30-30 at 2200fps to see how well they do.

I don't see any powder coat residue, but I haven't shot very many.

·
Boolit Master
6 Posts
A cast lead bullet properly fitted to your firearm using an alloy that will withstand the loads pressure / velocity as well as using a suitable lube and you should not have any leading. Over 35+ years of reloading and casting I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a leading issue, once I figured out what was causing it and fixed it leading was never an issue anymore and that was long before I ever started powder coating my own bullets.

A good read on leading and it's causes.
Chapter 7 - The Cast Bullet Nemesis - Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners - Glen E. Fryxell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts