National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to shoot air guns as a cheap way to shoot. I'd like to get either a Crosman vigilante or a colt Python. They're the same price and roughly the same in any other aspect. Does anyone have experience with either of these and if so which is the better of the two?

·
5,082 Posts
No I havent. But I know some of these are great for serious practice and aim skills and we have questions even from places where folks cant use ammo like UK or Eu, for cowboy action etc. I really like some of the aspects like individual brass per shot loading etc. on some of them. I hope you find and decide on a good feel/fit for you. About any qualty made share similar accuracy and performance. "I" would read LOTS reviews on LOTS air gun forums. When you search google, dont forget search terms like " airgun forums.uk or .eu" etc. They pay big bucks to get guns ordered like you suggested. Good luck.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
I had a Dan Wesson 6 inch Co2 BB gun but now they make a pellet version with rifled barrels. I really loved that gun, All metal except for the grip where the Co2 is size and weight were close enough, rounds had to be reloaded and inserted into the chamber as close to the real thing as can be. it wasn't as precise as a pellet rifle of course it was a BB gun but it killed a rabbit once lol

8 inch black version pellet http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Dan_Wesson_8_CO2_Pellet_Revolver_Black/3461

Btw, both the Colt Python (from Colt) and the Vigilante are BB gun. With what I've experienced on this one^^ you better go with a pellet one

http://www.pyramydair.com/search-re...882398:jlcminxfwdw&cof=FORID:11;NB:1&saSearch

Reactions: D Nickerson

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Makes me want one now.

Reactions: Kobs

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
They can fire pellets as well I believe. That's a pretty cool gun.
Yes but if you get a BB and use pellets you have to put them one by one directly in the forcing cone of the unrifled barrel. So for about the same price, again you better go with a rifled barrel that shoots pellets not BB's

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Makes me want one now.
Been looking at that black 8 inch for a while but it's a lot of money and just a pellet gun (at least that's my excuse for not pulling out the credit card ) And again here with the dollar exchange I could get a real gun for that price

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. If, I mean when, I got my eye on the 8" nickel with brown grip. $125. It's
not too bad, but it'll be a lot of fun. They look so freakin' real

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Made a Crosman vigilante shoot 22 cal. for a customer in Pakistan By replacing the barrel with a crosman 2240 barrel and just drilling out the rotary mag to fit the 22s. And it even shot the 22s at 550 fps when the 177s where 600 fps.

Regards
ARMARIN

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I shoot a Crosman "American Classic" pump-up pellet gun about 5 days a week in my basement. It's fun, inexpensive, and much more valuable to my "real gun" shooting skills than dry firing. This gun is VERY accurate, in part due to the fully adjustable rear sight. The gun can be bought on Amazon for about $59., and a good metal pellet trap is about the same price. Think twice about getting a CO2 gun because you will be replacing the tanks fairly often. Frankly, the "Macho" air guns, like the Colt Python, are really for people who can't afford...or can't own...a "real" gun (IMO). Also, stick with pellets. BBs want to bounce back and "put your eye out".

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
^^^ Agreed for the bouncing back, I've built a pellet trap and used a 1/4 inch cold roll steel plate at an angle to deflect them down I also had to fill the bottom of that box with rags to keep them in otherwise they were bouncing back out. you can see the force of impact of those little steel BB's

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you can, send a message to SP GUNS in Greece.

They are only allowed shotguns and air rifles/pistols in Greece and he has some. I think SP guns, while making informative gun videos that have a humorous side is quite knowledgeable about pellet guns. He has an awesome air rifle.

BTW, SP guns posts here every Friday.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Made a Crosman vigilante shoot 22 cal. for a customer in Pakistan By replacing the barrel with a crosman 2240 barrel and just drilling out the rotary mag to fit the 22s. And it even shot the 22s at 550 fps when the 177s where 600 fps.

Regards
ARMARIN
Is this story the same as the guns you said you own, but didn't?

Reactions: ARMARIN

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
^^^ Agreed for the bouncing back, I've built a pellet trap and used a 1/4 inch cold roll steel plate at an angle to deflect them down I also had to fill the bottom of that box with rags to keep them in otherwise they were bouncing back out. you can see the force of impact of those little steel BB's

Yeah one of these days I gonna weld me up one of them with 1/2" so I can use the 22.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
^^^ I'm sure that one could take them specially at an angle like that but you better make it taller and fill the box with sand :thumbsup:
I would also line it inside with thinner steel like I have in the front of it

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Of course. I'm actually gonna use modified, cause that's what I have.
Just top and back out of 1/2" and the rest 1/4". I'm ordering that
Dan Wesson 8" revolver for the boys soon. AHH who am I kidding, for me too!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a Vigilante and have used it in 10 meter competitions. With a red dot it is an accurate CO2 pistol for the price.
With mine the first 3 shots were a bit inconsistent, the next 35 - 40 shots were very consistent so I just fired 3 times after replacing the cartridge before loading a pellet.
For fun shooting I seem to recall going to 65 pellets before the cartridge was really dead, but again for competition I wanted consistency so swapped cartridges more often.
I also never shot BBs as I was afraid they might damage the rifling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts