National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 9mm spends most of its life under my bed in its case. I always have a loaded clip in it, and don't always get to shoot once a week or so like I'd like. My question is, how long is too long to leave a clip loaded? Is leaving that spring compressed going to hurt it, or does it not really matter? The last thing a guy wants is a week spring causing a jam when ya actually need the gun.

·
Super Moderator
11,512 Posts
Before the die-hards jump down your throat, it's a magazine, not a clip. :)

Also, you can leave it loaded, no problem. You'll only have problems if you keep loading and unloading and loading and unloading and loading and unloading and loading and unloading and loading and unloading and loading and unloading

You get the idea. LOL

Some claim that if you load it one round short of full capacity, the springs in the magazines will last foreer

--Wag--

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duly noted bout the magazines. haha. And thanks for the info.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wag is correct, & I could have not said it better my self. it just amazes me how many people don't know the difference between A mag & clip.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would just say take one Round out of the mag, don't worry, it will be ok you will be ready when you need it? Have you ever thought about getting something readily accessible just in case you need it faster like a bed mounted holster? And when you are all awake the whole family then putting it its case or safe? Just wondering because I have my MP40 in a magnet holster under the bed ready and when we all wake up put right in the safe so one one can touch it especially the kiddos.

·
Super Moderator
14,527 Posts
You can leave clips loaded forever too without wearing them out.

Alan

Reactions: kingnathanial

·
1911 addict
1,040 Posts
Had a mag in my range box that sat loaded folr a lot longer than I would like to admit. Popped it into a magwell, racked the slide and ran the mag out without a failure. Lots of others have similar experiences. You'll be fine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Before the die-hards jump down your throat, it's a magazine, not a clip. :)

--Wag--
I used to be one of those "it's a MAGAZINE" people, until I ran across this.

" the next five shots in the clip went into the snowdrift, I put in a new clip and put them all in the snowdrift"

The book? "Hell I was there" The gun? Colt 1911 45 ACP. The author? Elmer Keith---someone that
you would think would know the difference.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have several old gun digests from the late 40's early 50's and also catalogs from Herters etc., "clip" is used far more than "magazine" in articles and advertisements.

49 Posts
I'm glad I read this, I shoot my XD9 atleast once a week but I do leave the mags full with 16 rounds when I'm not using it. After reading this when I get home I'll be popping one round out of each mag.

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
Clip or mag, I know what you mean, makes no big difference to me.

Leave them loaded, leave them empty, doesn't matter, what wears them more than anything is using them. Don't worry about the springs, they will be fine.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts
Clip or mag, I know what you mean, makes no big difference to me.

Leave them loaded, leave them empty, doesn't matter, what wears them more than anything is using them. Don't worry about the springs, they will be fine.
What he said.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts