National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had the joy of getting my cleaning rod stuck in my barrel with the copper brush attachment. I tried hammering through but ultimately broke the rod with only about 1" sticking out, so now I have it soaking in WD-40 and pray to God I can pull it out tomorrow with some plyers.

My main concern is this: Today was the 2nd time I've shot this gun (400 rounds today, 300 rounds yesterday, the day I got it.) When I cleaned it yesterday, my patches and (I think it's cotton or some type of similar material) tip went through without any hitch. Today, however, was different.

When I put the cotton tip in, it got stuck halfway. Being the genius I am, I soaked it with even more Hoppe's barrel cleaner. Nothing. I tried from both ends of the barrel.

Now I'm starting to get brave. I brake out my copper brush tip. That'll certainly do the trick. I check the barrel one last time to make sure some type of object wasn't obstructing. Nothing, just some tiny flakes on the wall of the barrel, similar to ones I cleaned out yesterday. So I stuck 'er down in there.

Long story short, got it stuck like a science major during a math test...
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get it out...

My main question is what do I need to do to get my barrel clean? I used all the right sized attachments... THE EXACT SAME ONES THAT WORKED YESTERDAY, but they didn't work today... Anyone know what's going on???

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Lead bullets will foul a bore. But I have never had one foul that bad or that fast. I would buy new jags and brushes.
Also, I have seen folks do this, never reverse direction while the brush is in the bore. I have seen .22 cal brushes get stuck that way. If there is too much patch, I have rarely seen one get stuck. Usually from trying to back up before it clears the bore from bunched up patch. But usually it just won't go in to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lead bullets will foul a bore. But I have never had one foul that bad or that fast. I would buy new jags and brushes.
Also, I have seen folks do this, never reverse direction while the brush is in the bore. I have seen .22 cal brushes get stuck that way. If there is too much patch, I have rarely seen one get stuck. Usually from trying to back up before it clears the bore from bunched up patch. But usually it just won't go in to begin with.

That makes sense. Thank you! I'll definitely be getting a new cleaning kit.

·
Live Free
4,195 Posts

Yep, I have also seen a brush stuck tight in a .22 from being reversed before it exited the barrel. A good fairly new brush can get stuck pretty tight doing that...reversing direction on a patch can get jammed up a bit too. I would also recommend a one piece rod.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is just a suggestion that you might consider. Try putting the weapon in the freezer overnight. Then try pulling out the offending rod and brush. It is surprising sometimes how freezing the metal will cause it to shrink. This will increase the clearances throughout. I know already that there will be some who will ridicule this idea.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Not ridicule but how about discuss. I've froze hard drives before to retrieve data but I would think freezing would make it harder to remove the brush because it would be stiffer. Any lead would also be harder. I was thinking heating might help loosen things up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not ridicule but how about discuss. I've froze hard drives before to retrieve data but I would think freezing would make it harder to remove the brush because it would be stiffer. Any lead would also be harder. I was thinking heating might help loosen things up.
I think the freezing would shrink all the metal, including the brush. If the copper bristles become stiffer, they might even break....so what? And yes the lead would also freeze, but one can wait till things warm up[ to start the lead removal process again.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
use a smaller patch....

rather easy to cut one a little too large as it does not take much....

i also use a specific rimfire brush from pro shot......never had trouble with it......do not know if it makes a huge difference as we are talking .223 vs .224........but it has not hurt anything to go smaller.....

i rarely clean a 22 rimfire barrel......has to be purty bad for me to mess with it.....but i always clean after using rat shot regardless......

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
as far as getting it unstuck.......i would probably remove the barrel from the action, use a dowel rod from the breech end and some gentle tapping......

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,287 Posts
as far as getting it unstuck.......i would probably remove the barrel from the action, use a dowel rod from the breech end and some gentle tapping......

Agreed. Probably got patch wedges between the barrel and rod. It’s going to destroy what’s left of the head but do what Deputy said. Remover he upper receiver and the bolt carrier group. Tap it in, back it out and repeat. Dowel may not do it, probably need a brass rod from the hardware store.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Stay away from Remington Golden bullets and Thunderbolts and you should be okay.
ANY .22lr lead bullet will cause fouling; it's the "dirtiest" ammo there is. Running a simple boresnake once in a while with a little solvent by the brush section works well too; BUT, tie a piece of paracord or venetian blind cord to the loop back section so when the pull string breaks off and the entire boresnake is in your barrel, you can pull it back out - especially important in these small bores like .22 and .223

Reactions: Rokusek

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Agreed. Probably got patch wedges between the barrel and rod. It’s going to destroy what’s left of the head but do what Deputy said. Remover he upper receiver and the bolt carrier group. Tap it in, back it out and repeat. Dowel may not do it, probably need a brass rod from the hardware store.
Ended up using steel rod from Lowe's. I heated up the barrel and after a few minutes it finally budged. The amount of lead that came out was astonishing, especially considering I've gone through 700 rounds. It's a brand new gun

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.