National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone here can give me some solid guidance.

I recently purchased a Ruger SR22 and have been researching cleaners etc.

My specific question relates to Remington's Brite Bore product. Is this an evaporating product? and is it safe to spray into the firing pin area in the slide assembly?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Side question - YouTubers and other forums frequently refer to "actions" and "firing pin" on semi-auto handguns and some seem to do so interchangeably. Is there a difference between the "action" and the firing pin area on the slide?

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Never used Brite bore so I cannot assist you there. On the SR22 being a striker fired gun there really should be no reason to spray oils down in the trigger assembly anyway. Hoppes no.9 will dissolve the powder residue and you can just wipe it up.

Action is the way in which the gun works or fires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, I understand what action means in the sense of gun Operation but I get confused when people start talking about it in terms of a location on the gun. Are they talking about the tigger/hammer assembly.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if it's okay to spray bore cleaner into the firing pin area of my SR22 slide.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
I use Rem brite bore mostly to clean the barrel of my P226. i just spray it down generously over my garbage can, let it drip and put it on the counter to let it do it's thing for a few minutes. I clean the slide with G-96 CLP during that time and no i never spray anything in the hole of the firing pin not even CLP i put the slide so the back of it is pointing upwards when i spray so nothing will drip down there. i only use a brush with some on it to brush the face where the firing pin hole is, then finish the job with polymer picks. If i ever want to clean the firing pin area i'll take it apart. spraying stuff in there will only dissolve stuff and clump back harder and it will just sit there cause you cant get to it.

Edit: i don't have a SR 22 and didn't know that you couldn't take the barrel off but same thing applies, do the slide while the brite bore does it's job, with carbon and led it's not instant dissolve, it needs to work

Reactions: Popeye

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,072 Posts
Right,

I guess what I'm really wondering is if it's okay to spray bore cleaner into the firing pin area of my SR22 slide.
No…
unless I'm misunderstood. It is never acceptable to douse the firing pin area in any liquids. in fact caution should be taken not to get that area soaked.
apply your cleaner of choice to a cleaning pad/rag and wipe area.
every firearm cleaning video I have ever watched on youtube has mentioned taking precautions not to soak this area.

firing pin area meaning the part of the slide where the pin comes out and strikes the primer.

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
I have a SR 22 and i use birchwood caseys gun blaster to clean mine. 22's are notoriously dirty so i soak it down, especially the hammer area and mag well and use a old tooth brush. I shoot mine quite a bit and it gets really dirty in the area. I also spray the slide liberally and let it run out. I use hoppes 9 for the bore. I dont use oil on reassembly, i use shooters choice grease and place 4 little dabs on the slide contacts, one on top of the barrel and one by the hammer assembly. Just little dabs as it goes a long way. After i put it together i work the action and a tiny bit of grease works its way out so i wipe it off and use rem oil just to give it a light coat on the outside. Never had a function problem except when using some sub sonic ammo. Some works ok but others(particularly remington) wont feed right. CCI's or other quality ammo makes this gun shoot great. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it hasn't failed me yet.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Some chemicals can damage or destroy non metallic parts of guns, I try to clean only what really needs cleaning.and use mainly Hoppes #9, 3 in 1 oil, and rem oil.
I do use a break free chem spray and some others etc on the barrel and breach areas on the black powder rifles, or a stubbon build up on nose cone of a revolver, etc. But I seperate from all non metallic parts,including wood finishes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts