National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Novice Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo people! I couldn't find exactly where to put this, but the General Gun Discussion seems the best place for it.

I have a Mossberg Model 46M(b) that I'm trying to fix, and it has been over 20 years since it was last cleaned. Yesterday (9/16) I took most of it apart and wiped it clean with paper towels and q-tips, but the inside of the barrel, the bolt (firing pin and such), and the trigger mechanism still need a proper cleaning with a kit. My problem is that I don't have a kit and I have no idea where to begin. I have looked on Amazon and Walmart, but there are so many to choose from, that I can't decide what is best. What do you recommend as a good, reliable kit?

My other question is as follows: The Mossy (above) that I'm working on is a .22 caliber bolt-action. Is there a way I can figure out whether it is a Rimfire or Centerfire? I have tried "Googling" it, but to no avail.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Outers , Hoppes , Remington , are all pretty good kits ... you want rods that wont scratch the barrel and align properly when screwed together.. since you are still young you could save your money and buy a deluxe Kit that will cover a wide variety of calibers and will be with you for a long time , Remember you get what you pay for so if you can .. buy the best , buy it once and take care of it .. in turn it will take care of you .your .22 bolt action will be a rimfire .Good luck and good shooting .

Reactions: TheKid

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
Aerosol automotive throttle-body cleaner and old tooth-brushes are useful on metallic parts. As for most gun solvents, let them dwell for a period of time and let them work for you.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
i would advise caution with automotive cleaners/brake pad cleaners/or products like "Gun Scrubber"........i believe that old mossberg has a plastic trigger guard and some products may melt it or bleach the color right out of plastic if not careful.

Personally, i would just disassemble and scrub the bolt in Hoppe's No. 9 and use a tooth brush on most of it..........run a patch with Hoppe's on a rod down the bore along with a 22 rimfire brush. I usually don't really clean and scrub a rimfire bore but if she has been put up for decades it probably does need a pass thru.

Is there a way I can figure out whether it is a Rimfire or Centerfire? I have tried "Googling" it, but to no avail.
should be marked on the barrel somewhere as 22 S, L. LR........but that is a guess

Reactions: TheKid and Popeye

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
The Mossberg Model 46M(b) bolt action rifle is chambered for .22 rimfire cartridges. It can safely shoot Short, Long and Long Rifle cartridges.

·
Novice Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, so here's an update. I bought some Rem oil spray, a spray can of Rem degreaser & gun cleaner, and a stock finish called Tru-Oil. My mom also surprised me and got an Outers 62-piece Deluxe kit that was on sale. Is there anything I'm missing???

The reason I asked whether the Mossy was Centerfire or Rimfire was because I found that some .22 ammo is Centerfire, and I wasn't sure if my rifle was made specifically for that or not. I looked at the barrel, where the model and brand name is, and there was nothing saying it was Rimfire. After test-firing though, I looked at the spent shell and saw that it was indeed Rimfire. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
168 Posts
FWIW I recommend that you only clean the bore when it needs it on a .22. LR (when you notice a drop in accuracy) Rim fires however do generate a lot of debris which needs to be cleaned from the action as it is gritty and can cause wear if not kept clean.
An old tooth brush is really handy for the job.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,414 Posts
A few years ago, I switched up and started using Tipton one-piece carbon fiber cleaning rods. 36" for rifles and 12" for handguns. They are pricey by worth it.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I wouldn't depend on Mom to get what I need but it looks like she did good. A basic kit is enough to get you started.

I also have Tipton carbon fiber rods. I have a complete set of brushes and jags and extra ones for my most used calibers like 38, 44.

I have the standard toxic chemicals like Hoppes #9, Break Free, brake cleaner and spray solvents but mostly use the Frog lube line of products.

·
Genius in Training
515 Posts
Ive cleaned 2 guns that had more soot than metal in the receiver and my Hoppe's no.9 oil took it right out. Not sure what I use for lube but once I am done and put back together I put on rem oil to prevent rust. My rem 870 was beginning to rust but cleaned it off and put on rem oil and haven't had a bit since.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I like the Otis Compact Kits because they are as good as any full size kit I've used but small enough to fin in a range bag. I just add a Bore Snake in the caliber(s) I'm shooting that day too ad I have an instant "On Sight Range Cleaning Kit".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts