National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Disciple of Christ
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My interest in wood stock type rifles has been growing.(I usually favor the tactical type stuff)

My question is...are there any bolt action rifles with stocks that are similar to classic revolutionary era musket stocks with the wood and the brass?

Thanks!

·
Fomalhaut
223 Posts
you can get lucky and find a mosin nagant with copper parts instead of aluminum... pretty sure they're all pre 1919 and have the hex receiver. the p-series were all sent to finland in 1919 or earlier and mine has copper. 1919 is just an approximation for copper/brass, a russian/eastern european gun collector i know said the hex receivers were early runs, and i haven't seen copper on anything but hex models. honestly, i've never seen another one in person with copper (brass was sometimes used too) most were steel and aluminum.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Greetings...

Mostly Military rifles. That have that full wood stock look. Kar 98's, Mosin Negant's, Enfields, SMLE's, Old Springfields, M1's, Carcano's etc....

Unfortunately- All that heavy wood hasn't been all that popular on sport rifles since the end of the great patriotic war. And your average hunter really hasn't had the need to grab a red hot barrel in the heat of combat while moving forward in the face of withering fire, against deer...

Sadly - you can always tell the tourists in the woods - he's the guy packing 50 rounds of ammo, The same kind of guy that willl take a look at you at 200 yards presumably to check out the latest fasionable camo that he missed at china-mart- through his scope...

The real hunter (the guy that gets his elk every year) usually only carries 3.... (just in case he encounters a grouse or a turkey AKA lunch -while stalking his real game)

·
Destroyer of Lawnmowers
512 Posts
Like wesessiah said, you could get lucky and find some on a Mosin, I have a 91/30 from Big5 with some brass. So, they are around.

·
Gun Totin' Gearhead
586 Posts
I still think it wouldn't be very difficult or expensive to make those parts from brass yourself... just buy a $90 Nagant with a nice set of wood already on it, spend a little time to refinish those pieces, and buy a sheet or two of thin-gauge brass and some brass pins and go to town. In fact, it sounds like fun. You can probably get everything you need from a hardware store or a musician's supply shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts