National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have shifted my focus back to revolvers for the time being. Single action revolvers. I was on a double action kick for a bit before jumping into 1911s. This purchase was more than I was looking to spend today but they had both the 10mm and the 44 magnum in 8”. I’ve been looking for both for a while. I always thought those blued octagonal barrels would look sweet with my Henry collection. I bought one of each, $1243 for the set. In my opinion, SA is the way to go with auto cartridges like 10mm.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Shotgun Sleeve

Photo from the On Target Magazine article on the 44 mag.

1860 Army grip frame and 1851 Navy style octagonal barrel on an 1873 frame. Modern adjustable sights and retractable hammer mounted firing pin. Seems like the best features of each rolled into one. It’s an interesting beast I’ve wanted to play with for a while.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My hands hurt just reading this ;)
I am always a bit skittish with new 44 magnums. You never know how it will feel until you shoot it.

Those last two double action 44s I bought were fairly pleasant as far as 44 goes. My Buntline Super Blackhawk I thought was rough until I converted it to a Bisley grip.

I have never fired any gun with an 1860 Army frame but looking at it, it doesn’t look like it would be terrible, although, as much as it’s touted as a big revolver, it’s the lightest of the 44s I have. Good thing I hand load.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's a fine looking firearm. I've documented a customer service nightmare with a Cimarron rifle. Having said that, I'm willing to bet you'll enjoy it immensely.

-jb, so loves octagon revolver barrels (y)

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
8,160 Posts
Ok, so I have shifted my focus back to revolvers for the time being. Single action revolvers. I was on a double action kick for a bit before jumping into 1911s. This purchase was more than I was looking to spend today but they had both the 10mm and the 44 magnum in 8”. I’ve been looking for both for a while. I always thought those blued octagonal barrels would look sweet with my Henry collection. I bought one of each, $1243 for the set. In my opinion, SA is the way to go with auto cartridges like 10mm.
View attachment 137868

Photo from the On Target Magazine article on the 44 mag.

1860 Army grip frame and 1851 Navy style octagonal barrel on an 1873 frame. Modern adjustable sights and retractable hammer mounted firing pin. Seems like the best features of each rolled into one. It’s an interesting beast I’ve wanted to play with for a while.
Very Pretty, I hope it is a Uberti or D. Pedersoli Cimarron. Either one is a top of the line gun maker.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got em.
Air gun Revolver Wood Trigger Gun barrel

They are identical too. Finish is excellent. Fitment is excellent. Timing is sweet. Cylinder stop pops up right before the cylinder notch, so no cylinder rings. I love that! Action is smooth as a baby’s bottom.

The only thing I see wrong is one small smudge in the bluing where maybe it wasn’t sanded perfectly before it was blued. Not bad just a small dull spot. Grips could be fit a little better but they aren’t bad. I’ve had worse from Ruger.

Frame has a mirror blue (there is some oil smudging on the frame as I just wiped it down
Wood Bicycle part Camera accessory Gas Cameras & optics

Out of the box, the sights aren’t bad. I was shooting 60 yards into the dirt just to get a feel for ole girl and they were impacting where I was aiming. Target sights for fine tuning.

When I checked the timing, I usually use a intense light between the cylinder and frame. No light was coming through on the 44. I had to shine it down the barrel.

The 10mm I could see the light but the cylinder had no noticeable play front to back. It was a difference in cut in the rear of the cylinder that allowed the light to pass through.

Notice the 44 in the foreground, you can’t see the rim of the cartridge that’s in line with the bore, but you can see the one in the 10mm in the background that’s lined up with the bore. (Yesthey are dirty, I shot them)
Trigger Revolver Auto part Motor vehicle Metal

I fired 3rds of each and my oldest fired the last two from each. 180gr S&B 10mm that were pushing 585ft lbs from a 1911 were nice to shoot. With my usual loose grip, my knuckle did contact the trigger guard but it wasn’t a bang on it, just a light touch.

240gr 44 magnum HP Lil’Gun loads were substantially heavier in recoil but not unpleasant. No knuckle busting! I don’t shoot 44 with a loose grip though. My grip is a bit firmer and more positively engaged, but I ain’t choking it to death. Those 1860 Army grip frames have my vote. It was comfortable one hand shooting.

I’d highly recommend these based on what I experienced in the first shots, that is, if a Frankenstein single action is on your list.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts