National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears the Christmas shopping season is not going to be very good. However, FedEx is saying they expect to handle a record volume of packages this season, which means a lot more internet shopping than in years past.

So, do you plan to spend more or less this year and will you be letting your fingers do your shopping on the internet?

E :?:

G

·
We'll be spending less, the economy is uncertain and we're trying to keep our debt load as low as possible.
As far as our shopping habits, we've always been big internet shoppers.
We're on first name basis with our UPS and FedX drivers.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
The wife and I have kept our spending under control since we retired three years ago. I don't have to buy presents for all the staff at the office anymore so I only buy for my son and my wife. No big expensive presents anymore.

We have all we need and don't really want for much!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mrs E and I don't spend much on each other any more - we try keep it under $100. The two little E's (not so little any more) get a little more each, then our extended families each draw names so each of the E's give a single gift to an Aunt, Uncle or cousin on each side of the family. We have fun with it and there is a strict $$ limit.

I hate malls and the big box stores rear round, but find them especially annoying/repulsive from about November 1 until around January 15. So I try to internet shop as much as I can.

E

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Big E said:
Mrs E and I don't spend much on each other any more - we try keep it under $100. The two little E's (not so little any more) get a little more each, then our extended families each draw names so each of the E's give a single gift to an Aunt, Uncle or cousin on each side of the family. We have fun with it and there is a strict $$ limit.

I hate malls and the big box stores rear round, but find them especially annoying/repulsive from about November 1 until around January 15. So I try to internet shop as much as I can.

E

I have heard that Christmas where I work is a Zoo in the tool department. Sales off the charts and crazy customers, I can't wait! I never worked retail in my life until I retired and it will be fun to see what happens during the Christmas holidays.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Melanie and I came to an agreement when we first got married 24 years ago. We agreed that we would not exchange gifts for anything. Yep, anything. No Christmas, birthday, anniversary, Valentines Day, "Sweetest Day", name it, and we ignore it. Then, if during the course of the year either of us, or both of us, want to get a big ticket item, we just go get it. Our in ground pool, 61" Sony, her full length fur coat, my guns, etc., all came from the money we saved over the years by not wasting money on foolish, expensive gift giving. Not to mention the pain in the a$$ running all over town when the malls are jammed with shoppers, trying to select some stupid, (overpriced), gift along with a card to go with it. Flowers are one of the biggest and most expensive wastes. For people who say, "But it's the thought that counts", we both agree. We think about the money we didn't waste, on some stupid trinket or gimmick gift that gets 10 minutes worth of attention, then tossed aside while both of us go buy what we really want. Neither of us go near a mall from Thanksgiving until after the first of the year. Then you can go and pay 15%-25% less for the same crap everyone else bought just a couple of weeks before. I know there are a LOT of women who wouldn't go for such a thing, but Melanie has always had good common sense, and it's easier to pull a truck with your teeth, than it is to get into her purse! And that is just fine with me. Bill T.

G

·
I certainly hope we're going to spend less this year.

My wife quit her job three months early to go back to school.

For three months, we had zero income, because I was not yet out of school. So, that's three months of no employment as well as three months of early, but expected, expenses.

My wife graduates in December and will be opening her business in January. She expects to lose money her first year in business. There is a ton of "investment" she needs to make into this business.

It would be nice if we would both remember this come present-shopping time.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
spanielsells said:

For three months, we had zero income, because I was not yet out of school. So, that's three months of no employment as well as three months of early, but expected, expenses.

My wife graduates in December and will be opening her business in January. She expects to lose money her first year in business. There is a ton of "investment" she needs to make into this business.

Hey Jeff! What is her new business??

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
We'll probably spend about the same on the kids. Hubby and I tend to buy each other things throughout the year, so unless there is something in particular that we want, it's usually just small things like perfume, cologne, DVD's etc.....

I will spend a lot less on decorations this year. I'm getting tired of that stuff....................

G

·
sig232 said:
spanielsells said:

Hey Jeff! What is her new business??
She's going to be (well, technically she is) a massage therapist. I say technically because she has enough hours under her belt now to legally call herself a massage therapist, however, she still has two months left of the program.

So, yes, I'm very lucky because I'm her guinea pig. I get lots and lots and lots of massages. I feel like a real executive and everything.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
SheNine said:
We'll probably spend about the same on the kids.
I left that out. If you have children, you must spend on Christmas. It's as big as it gets for kids at Christmas. Mel and I never had kids. By choice, but because of that it's really easy to eliminate it, and all of the dollar dropping that happens because of it. Bill T.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts