National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I listened to a young girl that worked at the box store tell this story about their Christmas.

Seems they had Christmas dinner at Grandads place. Grandad owns a few firearms and they were in the closet. The gal that works with me said her uncle and a 17 year old boy wanted to see Grandads guns and pulled them out of the closet.

The 17 year old grabbed one of the rifles and promptly pulled the trigger shooting the uncle in the leg. Bullet is lodged close to the major artery in the thigh and they are delaying surgery until they can figure out a safe way to remove it.

I turned around and just commented that two rules of gun safety were not observed. Never, never point a gun at anyone and always assume the gun is loaded. Then I suggested that Grandad buy a gun safe to keep the kids out of the guns.

My comments of course were not well received but I made my statement for the others in the room to hear.

Your thoughts folks?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree with you 100%. And would add that there is also a definite need for some quality firearm safety/handling instruction.

G

·
sig232 said:
Then I suggested that Grandad buy a gun safe to keep the kids out of the guns.
How about some education instead? 'cause you know, that's what the guvmint want to do to us -- put all the guns in the safe 'cause we're all dumb uneducated peons.

G

·
I've been around guns nearly all my life and even before I ever knew there was such a thing as gun safety rules, I knew better than to pick up a gun, point it at someone and pull the trigger. I think it is called common sense. I grew up in a fortunate age, when as a kid, I could just wander off into the woods with a little single shot 22 rifle and hunt or plink all day. But we also knew what damage guns can do.
I agree with Rockatansky, this whole family needs some gun education. Even grandpa who should have known these people were morons and put the guns in a more secure place before they arrived. :roll:

G

·
My practice is to keep loaded firearms secured if there is anyone in the house besides wifey and two sons who are safety experts.
I consider the owner of the rifle to be the guilty party. Maybe he can't fork over the $$ for a gun safe but it's damn easy to unload a firearm and lock the ammo in the trunk of a vehicle or tool box in the pickum up.
I have a spare linen closet under the stairwell, I removed the standard passage lock and installed a deadbolt. $12.00 total cost.
Most of my guns are in a safe off premesis.

G

·
TxPhantom said:
I agree with Rockatansky, this whole family needs some gun education. Even grandpa who should have known these people were morons and put the guns in a more secure place before they arrived. :roll:
That's exactly the opposite of what I said :shock:

TxPhantom said:
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
Not to change the subject or hi-jack the thread, but that's what a drug dealer is, all depends on your position and how you see things, as a "licensed pharmacist" in most cases is nothing else but a drug dealer.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rockatansky said:
sig232 said:
Then I suggested that Grandad buy a gun safe to keep the kids out of the guns.
How about some education instead? 'cause you know, that's what the guvmint want to do to us -- put all the guns in the safe 'cause we're all dumb uneducated peons.
I think you are right on about that. If the schools would recognize that they have some responsibility for teaching gun safety in addition to parents then we might have some chance to preventing some of these accidents. Instead they will throw your butt in jail or suspend you if you breath a word about guns. Thats sweeping the problem under the rug, in my opinion.

If the parents and guardians are too uneducated to teach their siblings about firearms then the school would have a good chance to pick up the slack and teach the kids. The kids would then go home and teach the parents. Same as the do about the dangers of smoking. Kids can be relentless about getting on their parents about the dangers of smoking.

So, Yea, I do think parents and the educational system failed in this instance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts