National Gun Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
My Kimber 45 ACP is no bigger than my Bersa Thunder .380... both with crimson laser grips.. IN my opinion , a must for senior citizens. At our age you want to keep you eyes on the threat or multiple and not on the sights.. But if fear of location is an issue with a red dot laser, I also have Meprolight night sights.

So my recommendation for a senior carry.. it would be this Kimber 45 ACP, its the size of a .380, but much more effective.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just transitioned into the being eligible for senior discount phase.
My cc of choice hasn't changed.
One thing to be aware of is that many seniors will be plagued with arthritis.
Practicing clearing drills with semi autos ain't in the cards if you've got arthritis.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I sell a LOT of Ruger LCRs to seniors and those with hand/wrist issues. It's a good alternative, especially with today's superior defensive ammunition.

·
Follower of Christ.
253 Posts
My dear old grandpa is 83 years old and in a wheel chair, he carries a Rossi .38 special he has had since 1990. It is a great little gun for him and he is also leaving it to me when he passes. I love the gun and have shot it before. He had it loaded with some old fmj rounds that he got when he bought it and trust me they are some cheap stuff that looks like they've had a lot of water damage and do not look very reliable. I got those out of the gun and loaded it with some hornady critical defense. I am his care take and he is a handicap senior so he is vulnerable so keeping that gun on him at all times gives me a certain level of comfort especially while I am not in the house and he is alone.

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,865 Posts
My dear old grandpa is 83 years old and in a wheel chair, he carries a Rossi .38 special he has had since 1990. It is a great little gun for him and he is also leaving it to me when he passes. I love the gun and have shot it before. He had it loaded with some old fmj rounds that he got when he bought it and trust me they are some cheap stuff that looks like they've had a lot of water damage and do not look very reliable. I got those out of the gun and loaded it with some hornady critical defense. I am his care take and he is a handicap senior so he is vulnerable so keeping that gun on him at all times gives me a certain level of comfort especially while I am not in the house and he is alone.
Yeah, me too, but I'm not quite that old yet. :lol: Good for him, I'm glad he has it too. Built on the Smith & Wesson tooling.

·
Super Moderator
11,377 Posts
Make sure he has a speed loader to go with it.

--Wag--

Reactions: FLcracker

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a big fan of Alien Gear. Great Product. Very Knowledgeable & Helpful Staff. If they don't have it on their website they are happy to custom make a mold for you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm a seniors,I like the ones I already have!:machinegun:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Put me down for adding the OP as a sticky...Great article and advise.

Better yet...I'd like to see a more permanent place for seniors to share info with each other regarding all matters gun related.

Possibly something like "Seniors With Shooters", "Geezers With Guns", "Ol' Farts With Firearms".....Well, maybe not, but y'all get the idea....?

FLc

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good info thanks for sharing!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if older folks gravitate to wheel guns more because of personal experience and nostalgic reasons, or because theyre just plain easier to operate. I actually started on semi-autos but find myself increasingly appreciative of revolvers as I get well into my 40's. Not any particular reasons except that simplicity and reliability just seem to trump all other progressive bells and whistles in the end. I have no immediate plans to retire my S&W Shield from EDC duty any time soon though! Ha! :)

·
Super Moderator
14,402 Posts
I have a little S&W Airweight 38 spl. I'm not going anywhere that I need more than 5 shots. Hell, I'm not going anywhere that I need one! They are light and can be operated with one hand. They make just as much noise as any other pistol and holes as well.

Alan

·
Registered
641 Posts
You're not that naive. Find yourself facing two armed robbers or intruders and you're likely empty. The size/type/caliber aren't always critical-having at least one reload with you is part of being armed. Getcherself a coupla Speed Strips-good moderaters are hard to replace.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I buy all my holsters from Daltech, they will custom make me a holster to fit every gun I have. Everything I have bought from them has had to be custom made. Due to I have several unique guns, some very old and they have been great to work with. They also have the best leather belts to hold my holsters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am 61 and I had not purchased a pistol in a decade so I broke down and bought the most expensive pistol I've ever purchased a KImber micro 9 that comes with match grade barrel and trigger.I had been carrying a Ruger LCP for 7 years and I lent it to my daughter so she could carry as Maine is Constitutional Carry. I always wanted a two tone 1911.
Anyways so far so good it sit in a Desantos IWB and it goes with me each time I leave the house.I still plan to put night sights on it and skeleton trigger.

·
Super Moderator
11,377 Posts
Maine is Constitutional Carry? News to me...............

--Wag--

·
Super Moderator
11,377 Posts
Very nice!

--Wag--

41 - 60 of 76 Posts