National Gun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,307 Posts
I believe the .32 is excellent for seniors: Walther PPK, H&R Mag revolver, .327 revolver, Kel Tec P-32

Actually they could even use a .22LR but buy a good one.

There are also a few 9mm's and .38's they may like.
Does being 66 years old qualify me as being a 'senior'?

I do not own, nor do I have any desire to own, any handgun chambered in .32 ACP, .32 H&R Mag or any other .32 named caliber. I carry a Ruger LCR chambered in .38 Special because of the reduced weight of the revolver, not because of the caliber.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Popeye, you're never gonna qualify to be a senior.

Regardless of age, I'd never recommend a caliber smaller than .38 special for protection. For close range defense, target wadcutters have little if any recoil and will get the job done. If the individual can handle heavier loads there's a huge assortment of defense loads available.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
i'm a 38 man myself..........but to each his own.......

we as "shootists" are in the minority.

The majority of gun "owners" will buy a handgun for "protection", maybe take it to the range one time, and then pocket it or put it in a desk drawer for the next 40 years.....

i have no idea how many times i have gone to a house to unload a gun for a recently widowed woman and be directed to a drawer with a revolver or auto that has the same box of shells that they had bought with the gun.........30 or 40 years prior.....

in this case the merits of the caliber are almost meaningless. And if for some reason they do decide to shoot and practice, i would rather see them encouraged by the light recoil of a sub-caliber to keep practicing than be scared off by blast and recoil.

the 38 wadcutters make great sense.......i know, that is what is loaded in my wife's gun. But a lot of folks equate smaller size in caliber with less recoil and more control........about 80% of the time that is correct as they will not look for load alternatives.

·
A BORG of the HIVE
232 Posts
Excellent article.

I'm 69, and I carry a SIG Sauer P239 9MM, or a Beretta 950 in .25 ACP depending on what I'm wearing.

While I do not consider the .25 a very good SD weapon, it's better than a walking cane!:cornut:

And in 90 percent or more of occasions, the mere presence of a gun, ANY gun will solve the problem without a shot being fired.

Several years ago, an elderly woman in my home town shot and killed two knife wielding young thugs with two shots from a little Colt .32 revolver.

·
Gun Lubber
65 Posts
I am no "expert" in the civilian sense, but- I would recommend the Ruger LC9 or the Ruger LCP... Although I would say that there is a lot of talk about them being over rated, I have range tested them both and for their unbelievably compact size they have a ridiculously manageable recoil.
Ruger LC9- Is a 7+1 9mm Luger. 3.12" barrel length with a total of 6" overall length. The just under an inch width (.90") has a thin grip, but I personally feel that it is just enough to really wrap around, if you buy the pinky extension for the magazine base it almost has a standard feel. It feeds and fires wonderfully, and the re-track to get back on target is almost seamless to a moderately-to advanced shooter. I would arm my grandfather with one if I had the 450.00 they are going for right now. (although- the piggy bank is growing fuller with the hopes of owning my own in the near future, to replace my glock 19 gen 2 IWB carry ive been using)

I hope that little "tid-bit" could help in your search!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe the .32 is excellent for seniors: Walther PPK, H&R Mag revolver, .327 revolver, Kel Tec P-32

Actually they could even use a .22LR but buy a good one.

There are also a few 9mm's and .38's they may like.
The Bersa Thunder 380 is a great little carry weapon and the 380 cal. bullet has enough weight and penetration power to take care of most problems.

·
old grunt
14 Posts
I fired a friends sig 22 this last week the action was real smooth real nice handgun, I think the 22 hollow point would to thejob or at least it did on the 1 gal milk plastic jugs filled with water and the tops taped.

·
old grunt
14 Posts
I am going to 60 but fo sometime now I have been getting a senior discount for coffee at McDonalds, I found out about the discount from my wife. I not really sure what that means. My Mother in law is 82 and father in law is 85 they still farm orange and asked me to get them a box of 38 special shells which I did and upon further thought I probably should offer to take them to the rang.

·
Jesus Saves
7,920 Posts
Sticky material!

As I age, I think about the guns I have and how I would do if really needed. Although I am still a newbie and have what I want, I am seriously thinking about the not so distant future.
I need nothing fancy, just practical and easy - and effective. The time for "cool" is over. I want easy and fun.

Thanks Gunrnr....excellent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great article. I get a lot of seniors in classes that were sold guns with heavy trigger pulls and had no idea this could be an issue (we have even had a couple with double action revolvers that could not even fire the gun) . People need to realize that the salesman behind the counter may not always have your best interest and this article can hopefully help someone to point them in the right direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always liked the "parachute" analogy. (If you need one and don’t have it, you’ll never need it again!) I carried a “J” frame for 50 years. I’ve always felt if you love your family and friends you’ll carry 24/7. That’s why I carry 24/7. Long story cut short. I was involved with a young man that was high on uppers a year or so ago. He had me cornered in a bath room with about as much floor space as an office desk. I didn’t think five 38 HPs would put him down unless I did head shots. In the end I didn’t have to put him down, but I did switch from the “J” frame to a 45 (S&W 4516-1) (Double action) with two extra clips of ammo. You’d think that would be heavy to carry. If you’re ever in a position where only one person is going to walk away a 105 howitzer isn’t heavy! What you’re going to want is something that makes holes the size of a dinner plate and lots of them. Here’s hoping you never need one,, but!!!

·
Rifleman1776
242 Posts
As with most 'buy this, not that' gun advice articles, there is much in what he said that can be debated. My choice came to concealability and ease of use. I have three carry pistols. BTW, I am an experienced shooter so I did not need, or want, Bubba's advice. Two of my pistols are .22lr, a Beretta Model 21A; a Walther style American Arms, and a Ruger LCP in .380. All are pocket concealable and easy to carry. All are 'pull, point, shoot'. No fussing with safetys or other devices. I always carry with one in chamber and a full magazine. I won't be drawn into a debate about the effectiveness of the .22lr. Three times in my life I have had to draw a gun and show it for defense. All three times the bad guys ran, none asked me the caliber before hightailing. The caliber was pretty effective. Another theory I have is that to be effective the gun must be practiced with. .22lr is inexpensive and will get used. Even my .380 is nearly $1.00 round these days and I am reluctant to burn much practicing with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I were overly concerned with the cost of a round of ammo, I may take it into consideration.
But, have you ever thought about hand-loading your own ammo?
If you have a friend, that may hand-load ammo for a hobby that could also be an option if you are too poor or tight with money to buy a proper amount of ammo for both practice and the safety that a side arm may afford you.
Sorry to be so blunt. But the suggestion that anyone risk the life of their family members, certainly not to mention the life of a cheap, tight fisted gun owner on cheap, underpowered ammo just plain pisses me off.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,307 Posts
The price of ammunition

When you factor in the value of your life, your wife's life, your children's lives, your friend's lives, hell, even your dog's life... ammunition costs are of little consequence.

·
Rifleman1776
242 Posts
If I were overly concerned with the cost of a round of ammo, I may take it into consideration.
But, have you ever thought about hand-loading your own ammo?
If you have a friend, that may hand-load ammo for a hobby that could also be an option if you are too poor or tight with money to buy a proper amount of ammo for both practice and the safety that a side arm may afford you.
Sorry to be so blunt. But the suggestion that anyone risk the life of their family members, certainly not to mention the life of a cheap, tight fisted gun owner on cheap, underpowered ammo just plain pisses me off.
I am a reloader. But the cost of components these days doesn't give that much savings. Plus, my range is outside, finding .380 brass in the grass is an exercise in futility. For practice I shoot El Cheapo Russian stuff. Carry Hornaday Critical Defense.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
IM a 40 year licensed to carry civilian, prior t that a Military Veteran. Ive transitioned over the years from a 1911 45 ACP Colt/Remington issue..Today they are using Beretta 9mm,
There was a time when I was a much younger man, I felt ok carrying a .25 cal Beretta Jet fire. and if it slowed a bad guy down, I would still prevail.. but today at 70 years of age, IM back into a 45 ACP. Not as much a bad ass today as when I was in my 20's and 30's 1911 's they have changed dramatically over the last 50 years. my Carry 45 ACP , weighs 25 oz. and fits nicely in the pocket of my cargo shorts without obvious printing , I'm carrying.in my left pocket. At my age a 45 ACP has enough put down power, I'm not going to have to get physically involved with some 300 lbs. Samoan, all juiced up and only pissed off by a lesser caliber.
Left pocket carry 45 ACP

I like this carry the best and have been using it for 15 years.. it allows me to put my hand in my pocket without throwing up a flag to people around me....I see a potential threat and I can go into my pocket and be ready to click off the safety, or relax if a potential threat passes. I do not like waist high holsters for just that reason.. in ordr to be as prepared as I am with my hand in my pocked a waist high holster user would have to telegraph his readiness and it would be obvious to peole around him including plain closed cops and other concealed carry people not know your intentions..

21 - 40 of 76 Posts