1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came across these pistols:
https://www.chiappafirearms.com/p.php?id=300
https://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

Supposedly, it comes with one cylinder for 357 magnum and a second cylinder for 9mm Luger.

1. Even if you do change the cylinder out, how is it possible to shoot these two bullets out of the same barrel? Isn't the barrel diameter different?

2. Or are they so close in width that it's easily done, but one or both of the calibers do not shoot as well or as accurately as the other?

3. I've heard of converting a 357 magnum to 9mm before, but I always thought it was ill advised?

Attachments

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts
I would go with Ruger.I think the bullet diameter diff is a matter a thousandths. The 357 being bigger. So a 9mm will travel down the barrel.

·
Live Free
3,354 Posts
9 mm bullets are .355 - .356 diameter; .357 mag bullets are .357 - .358 diameter. 9mm bullets work just fine...as Coalcraker suggested, Ruger has been doing it for years. SAAMI specs for cartridges are easy to find on line via google...

From my experience, the 9mm tends to be a little less accurate, but unless you are really good with a handgun, most folks would not notice the difference in accuracy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would go with Ruger.I think the bullet diameter diff is a matter a thousandths. The 357 being bigger. So a 9mm will travel down the barrel.
Interesting. I kinda wish they simply made a 9mm version in addition to this convertible one.

9 mm bullets are .355 - .356 diameter; .357 mag bullets are .357 - .358 diameter. 9mm bullets work just fine...as Coalcraker suggested, Ruger has been doing it for years. SAAMI specs for cartridges are easy to find on line via google...

From my experience, the 9mm tends to be a little less accurate, but unless you are really good with a handgun, most folks would not notice the difference in accuracy.
That's what I was worried about. The bullet either being less safe or less accurate. My groupings are generally very tight. Do you know what the accuracy difference is?

·
Live Free
3,354 Posts
My experience with a Ruger Blackhawk rendered groups shot at 25 yards from a rest as follows;
.357 mag was 2.5" whereas the 9mm was closer to 3". At 10 to 15 yards the difference was not discernible. There is no more safety issue than is normal with any firearm. If I was going to purchase such a gun (I am not), I would definitely pursue the Ruger. If you only want to shoot 9mm through it, you can simply not use the .357 cylinder.

·
AZHerper
4,291 Posts
I used to have a Ruger Blackhawk 45 convertible. One cylinder for 45 Colt the other for 45 ACP. Even though the old 45 Colt bore diameter was 0.454 the convertible was 0.452 which was fine for both 45 ACP and 45 Colt. In the .357/9mm convertible, I believe that the bore was 0.356 which was in between 0.355 (9 mm) and 0.357. Of course the 9 mm headspaces on the mouth of the case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts