National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that Cheaper Than Dirt is not above slamming their customers in a time of stress and fear. They have raised their prices on ammo anywhere from 3-5 times the normal price. To take it a step further, CTD then recalled already shipped and sold orders and informed the customer of the new price if they still wanted the product.
To scream foul is an understatement. Many online are starting to call for a boycott. This has to be one of the scummiest moves they could have made and I believe they should and will be punished for it. REDDIT sub forum on guns is blowing up with damming posts against the gouging.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/cheaper-than-dirt-why-hate/

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Yeah i saw they had ammo marked way up.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s not the same thing. To stop already paid orders are then raise the price way above normal price, then raise all your prices to take advantage of the situation is wrong. If that’s what they want to do it is within their right to do so but it should be not without retaliation from the customer. I know ammo is in high demand and nobody is going to complain if they raised the price a few cents but they are way out of bounds. I’ll never buy from them again and I’ll never let a friend buy from them ether. I hope they choke on their gouging prices.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I need to be careful about replying because like I said in another post discussions often get heated. Feel free to disagree with me and convince others that you are right but be careful not to separate me and make it personal.

It’s not the same thing. To stop already paid orders are then raise the price way above normal price,
I agree with this. You already paid so the item is basically yours at that point. You should contact them and see if they will honor the original price that you both agreed to. Maybe you can work something out and get a credit for the difference in price. Now would a refund satisfy you?

then raise all your prices to take advantage of the situation is wrong.
This is what I disagree with. They can charge whatever they want whenever they want. The beauty of it all is you can do whatever you want with your money.

If that’s what they want to do it is within their right to do so
You said it yourself. You may not like it but there it is.

but it should be not without retaliation from the customer. I know ammo is in high demand and nobody is going to complain if they raised the price a few cents but they are way out of bounds. I’ll never buy from them again and I’ll never let a friend buy from them ether.
It's like voting except you vote with your feet or money. You campaign against them and hope others do the same. A victory for you would be if they went out of business as their ultimate punishment. Right? I have absolutely no problem with that.

I hope they choke on their gouging prices.
This is an example of you being upset. Hopefully you won't focus any of that on me or in my direction. It's just a discussion and my opinion.

Would you buy from them if they offered you an incredible deal after all this is over with? Just curious. A thousand rounds of name brand 223 for $100? They gouge you on shipping $50.

·
Live Free
2,873 Posts
I have yet to see a reason I would ever buy from CTD. I used to look at their prices when I was shopping for stuff, but I found their prices were always higher than most others. They have never shown me a reason to deal with them.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I have never bought from cheaper Than Dirt that I can remember, I may have. Clever name though. I don't fully understand the concept. Aren't they a collection of vendors as opposed to one store? It may make our Philatelic friend happy but I would pause before I bought from them if their behavior as described is true,

·
Registered
13,203 Posts
The recalling of packages is totally wrong and if not illegal? It was already paid for. Raising the prices is a crappy move in a crisis and in many places it's illegal too but it could only pertain to basic necessaries. That I'm not sure on. Either way i have never found their prices to be that great with the little ordering i do online. I have bought one item from them twice(O/U gun cases). I have always preferred brownells or midway and i like brownells slightly better because their shipping seems to be faster and cheaper. I also don't buy ammo online. I reload the majority of it and buy what i can't reload for locally. I have to admit I'm sitting here chuckling at all the people frenzy buying ammo, food and other items.........

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
withholding a paid order and changing the price demanding more......i have not read the fine print or bought from them in a very long time.....but that seems awful shady.....if true, then they need to be put out of business.......loudly, rudely, and publicly as an example of unethical business practices......

jacked up prices.......there is the whole supply and demand argument.....when demand is high and supply is reduced, the price fluctuations happen until the market is stabilized...often time, the price is increased to the manufactuer suggested retail price.......which can be significantly more. ....

when the prices increase overnite, it is pure price gouging......they are increasing their profit margins with old inventory.......and the price is not a bump but a big jump......they are preying off of fear.....customer service takes a flying leap out the window as all they see are dollar signs.....

they will make money in the short term but will loose loyalty in the long term........

Reactions: Square target

·
Registered
46 Posts
Years ago, when we all went nuts over possible ammo shortages (ignoring the fact that we created the shortage we were worried about), stores should have doubled and tripled prices. Yes, we would have temporarily paid more, but people wouldn't have filled their closets and spare bedrooms. The same thing is happening right how with TP and cleaners. If retailers would raise prices, the demand would drop and the supply would be enough.

When you try and shortcut the supply/demand relationship, you create chaos. It's cold, but natural law normally is. The economic law of supply and demand is as universal as gravity. We've seen this with gas, oil, milk, water, milk, etc... .

With that said, an order paid is a contract yet unfulfilled. A retailer should honor any previous sale; beyond that, they SHOULD charge whatever the market will bear. If they overshoot, they don't sell any.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
If you do not like their business /pricing model, do not buy from them.......................most of us SHOULD have been smart enough after the last fiascoes to stock up; so CTD's prices will keep regular folks from hoarding even more and leaving that ammo for those who are unprepared.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Lower Than Dirt lost me on the first price gouging go around and I never forgot what they did. This comes as no surprise and it will be a cold day in Hell before they get a dime from me.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
I don't buy from them %$^#&*, so easy for me to boycott :) Still - if people paid for something for the agreed upon price, then the business turns around and says before you bring it home the price just increased now pay us more for the item you just paid for seems s bit illegal.

·
Jesus Saves
7,839 Posts
Class action lawsuit. Raising prices after the purchase. The price we agreed to included the shipping fee. Lawsuit.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I may have bought from them years ago but nothing since. We have to keep these practices in mind and remind others of who they are. I just bought 500 7.62x39 a few weeks ago at a great price. $.20 a round with free shipping! That gets me to about 1000 rounds. I’ve got a another 1000 5.56 and about 100 - 00 Buck and a bunch of other shotgun loads. Lots of pistol food too! Others may not have been as foresighted as so of us and I don’t want to see anyone taken advantage of. I stock up when the price is low. I don’t like going to the store on my way to the range. I’ve also given 100’s of rounds to family and friends so that they feel secure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts