National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder why you don't see any single action or double action revolvers made out of that cheap injection moulding process??

Lots of pistols made that way, and many more coming on stream each day. Why is that?

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Interesting question! I wondered myself how come there are no polymer revolvers made? Maybe the shape of the gun and the need for structural strength?!?!?

I'm sure one of our very learned members will chime in......................... ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A polymer frame on an auto takes comparatively little stress compared to the barrel and slide. I don't think polymer frames are "cheap," by the way. Glocks, HKs, XDs, etc., are all fine, long-lasting designs that serve their intended purposes very well.

If you had a polymer frame on a revolver, the heat and blast at the barrel cylinder gap would quickly erode through the topstrap. You even see this "flame cutting" on some metal-framed revolvers. The old Ruger .357 Maximum is probably the best example, but I believe it happened with S&W K-frame .357s and hot 125 gr Magnums, too.

The solution might be a metal or ceramic insert in a polymer frame...but revolvers are old technology, so I am not sure it would be worth the R&D investment.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
They are cheap in the sense that they are a lot more inexpensive to produce! The process is quick, saves a lot of labor dollars and the materials are inexpensive.

The pistols are not cheap in the sense that they may outlast their steel/alum counterparts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what mike said is pretty spot on. that being said i dont think they could be made any cheaper.

heritage arms 38 designed after a cheifs special are only like 175-200 bucks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts