National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cheap built but reliable M4. Right now i don't have the money to afford a custom built M4 by Red Jacket Firearms... I'm just looking for a cheap thing. Preferably in .223 Remington. I know Norinco has got a low-budget M4. But is it worth it? And do you guys have other guns in mind?

·
USMC
31 Posts
Bushmaster, DPMS, Del-Ton all have affordable ar's and are pretty decent rifles for the price.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I've been seeing several no-name ARs coming out from several of my distributors over the past few months. I need to learn more about who makes the parts and who assembles the parts. They are marketed as "AR-15" or "M-4" but have no brand affiliation whatsoever. Now, that may be fine. Anyone with a CNC machine can make an AR with the same dimensions as the one with the $1,500.00 price tag. What I do not know is who made the aluminum castings, the steel parts and who tested the metallurgy. They are most likely off-the-shelf parts much as I would order for home-builds and replacement parts but I have no assurance of that. Does the rifle have a warranty? If so, who backs it?

So, my best advice for a low cost AR is to stick with a name. I sell low-cost Stags, DPMS and other brands that are around the $800.00 mark (not cheeep, but low-cost in the AR-world). For the most part, the $800 model is pretty much the same as the $1500 model next to it, minus the accoutrements (rails, two-stage triggers, sights, high-speed hood ornament, power floormats, etc.).

With the "low-cost" ARs I have had one return in over 15 yrs and that was taken care of immediately by the manufacturer.

...matter of fact, it happened last week.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Olympic is ok, so are Rockriver lowers and parts kits (upper already assembled) from Model One Sales. $600 or so. be sure to spend $150 or so on a Ciener .22lr conversion unit for your AR, saving you 25C a shot even on commercial reloads for the 223, and saving 40c a shot on most retail ammo for it. Also, the .22 unit is welcome at indoor ranges, the 223 is not, if they have a metal backstop, at least. Many ranges are too close to homes, etc, for the noise of the 223 to be acceptable, but the .22 is all right. So shooting the 223 is going to require a lot of long distance driving, for most people, the .22lr unit will not. yet it offers small game accuracy and snap shooting practice with the same sights, trigger pull, mag release, etc, and it's a fine piece of gear for shtf, and for training women and kids, too. you can always sell it for $100 if you don't like it. Don't believe the bs on the Net about how it leads up the bore or the gas tube, or that it's inaccurate, etc. In 1 in 9" or 1 in 12" rifling twists, at least, it groups 2" or better at 50 yds, and the POI, point of impact is within 2" of that of the 223 ammo, at 50 yds, too. I've owned 6 of them over the past 35 years, and seen as many more in the hands of friends. sometimes, maybe 1/2 of the time, they need about $30 worth of fluff and buff work by a smith, in order to be reliable in your gun, but they work just fine in another AR. That is how it goes with pretty much all "aftermarket" parts for guns. sometimed they need a bit of careful "tuning" by somebody who knows how. Since it will pay for itself with a lousy 500 rds, (assuming that you sell it for $100) it's paid for by the savings I just made for you, on the price of the AR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts