National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i just had a quick question I just got notified that my CCW will be at my local sheriffs office this Friday so i was wanting to purchase a gun by the time I went to go get my license and currently Im on a budget. I saved up around 350$ to spend, i was thinking a revolver (nothing smaller that a 9mm) but needs to be reliable. do you all have any suggestions?

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,116 Posts
The budget of $350 eliminates a lot of firearms I would have recommended. To start I would say look at ......

Ruger SR9
Springfield Armory XDS
Bersa Thunder 9
Walther PPS

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,116 Posts
You should go to your LGS and possibly a gun show or two, and see which pistols you like and dislike. Then visit a local range and rent the ones you like and do a "test drive" to see if it meets your expectations. Then price shop the one you want and see how much $$$ you'll need.

Reactions: PRODAV and Popeye

· Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Makarov or Serbian Tokarev, ammunition is low priced as well.

Reactions: PRODAV

· Registered
6,726 Posts
for a factory new gun.....i would personally like to try one of the Armscor/Rock Island 38 special revolvers that are in that price range........ Revolver Series: Rock Island Armory | Armscor International, Inc

don't know much about them or if they are solid....but willing to take a chance.

the Ruger LCP would do as well in that price range......... Ruger® LCP® * Centerfire Pistol Models

used and surplus guns open a much broader window.........i think the Makarov PM is one heck of a good idea in surplus guns and would be an excellent affordable choice in a gun and affordable ammunition ....as would a clean used Charter Arms undercover.

one man's hamburger is another man's steak when you are on a tight budget........been there and still doing that to an extent. Not a thing wrong with used guns.

Reactions: Stamps6 and Popeye

· Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
New Serbian Tokarevs could be had in 9mm, for a tune of 300 if I remember right. Unissued Bulgy Maks r in the states now and are going for 320 Southern Ohio Guns has them. If money was there for me, I'd be having the Bulgarian Mak in my safe.

A revolver is one good idea. Charter Arms I believe has some 38 Specials in 'round the 350 range, new or used. Possibly to pick up a used Ruger LCR in 38 Special too. Look enough you might find an old SW snub-nose too in your range. Old used Taurus revolver. Yes I went there n mentioned Taurus, though n older one.

· Registered
3,355 Posts
May I suggest you reconsider your budget?

In my younger days, I had mixed success buying "cheap". Eventually, I gained wisdom and adopted the following method:

If what I was buying was going to be used as something expendable, I buy cheap, use it up and toss it (e.g. consumable materials for a project). If what I was buying was something that I wanted to reuse again and again, I bought upscale with an eye to durability and longevity. Thus my wood shop has good major tools but I bargain buy things like nails, screws, hinges, etc.

Firearms fall in the latter category. Go for something that you can hand to your grandkids, or resell if that's your choice. You will be money ahead in the long run.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies, i think i need to get myself off that time limit of when i need the gun because then im going to end up with something that it doesnt shoot the way i want it too or it doesnt fit properly or some mistake that ill later regret.

Also i mentioned that anything smaller than a 9mm i wouldnt want, because .22 and .380 feel like pellet guns to me and i want alittle more stopping power like with a 38 special or more so a .357

Markd51 i wont personally buy one because they are bulky therfore not great for conceal carry.

· Registered
1,029 Posts
Disclaimer: I am NOT a fan of Taurus.

I don't even own ONE---but I did at one time. Got a 357 Poly Defender snubby off of a prize table at a match. Maybe
I got lucky, but it was OK. Shot it 40 rounds or so 38 special, maybe 15 357 Magnum. Sold it.

It wasn't a Ruger LCR----but it wasn't a piece of junk either. And the price is in the $350 budget, with enough left over for
some ammo.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My father actually just purchased a Taurus public defender polymer.410/ .45 Colt. i shot it a couple times and it shoots well, the style and comfort werent there for me.
I guess just not my type of revolver

· Registered
3,457 Posts
Where you said revolver and $350 Taurus or Rossi, which are the same company. I have a Titanium Taurus .357 Mag that I carry often.

For autos in that price range Taurus, Kel-Tec, Bersa, EAA Witness all come to mind.

· Registered
6,520 Posts
Do you actually intend to carry it? Or just have it with you?

Carry...in a revolver... I'd highly suggest a LCR. I love mine. Just saw one on gunbroker with 12 minutes left and it was under 400. Zero bids on it.

Have around? How about a used Ruger Security Six. Could get it in snubby, 4, or 6 inch. They are right now within your budget. Jerry Miculek still loves his. What made him a great shooter. I don't think I'd want to carry something this size. Could be done. But...

· Registered
6,425 Posts
If you're considering a revolver, the Charter Arms .44 Bulldog is hard to beat. The .44 Special is a superb self-defense caliber, and the Charter Bulldog is inexpensive, well made, accurate, and utterly reliable. I have owned at least one .44 Bulldog for about 30 years now. Of course, Charter makes other models in other calibers, including .357Mag/.38Spl., 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP.

They're better than Taurus/Rossi revolvers, they work as well as S&W and Ruger guns, at a price comfortably in between. One more suggestion - the Rock Island Armory M206 revolver in .38Special. The finish is a little rough (who cares) but it's basically a Colt Detective Special clone, and they've been earning rave reviews on You Tube and in the gun press. About $250 +/-. Enjoy.

· Registered
3,457 Posts
If you're considering a revolver, the Charter Arms .44 Bulldog is hard to beat. The .44 Special is a superb self-defense caliber, and the Charter Bulldog is inexpensive, well made, accurate, and utterly reliable. I have owned at least one .44 Bulldog for about 30 years now. Of course, Charter makes other models in other calibers, including .357Mag/.38Spl., 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP.

They're better than Taurus/Rossi revolvers, they work as well as S&W and Ruger guns, at a price comfortably in between. One more suggestion - the Rock Island Armory M206 revolver in .38Special. The finish is a little rough (who cares) but it's basically a Colt Detective Special clone, and they've been earning rave reviews on You Tube and in the gun press. About $250 +/-. Enjoy.
The Charter Arms Bulldog is a great revolver. Charter Arms in general is a great revolver. But, if it is your first gun and you are new to handguns the .44 Special ammo is expensive and often times hard to find. Practicing with a .44 Special is expensive.

· Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Oh my please dont judge yourself on ny revolver experience because you shot a tauru judge. This is a novelty firearm (to me) which some push it to the extent of it being practical to carry. Get yourself behind a good revolver before you make your decission on revolvers.
Yes, I too agree with you to take your time. Even when you do, you still may end up with a friearm you dont like. We've been there. buying, learning the firearm to see if you truly like it or not, then selling it if you dont all ends up as good experience. Expensive experience though good non the less. There is no way 'round it, this will happen one day more often then not.
Ruger, Charter Arms, nd S&W are good. You might even look into the Ruger Six Series of pistols. Security, Police, and Service Six Revolvers. Ruger put them out of production just they're very good revolvers.

· Registered
648 Posts
Don't know about used prices where you live, but around here you can find a Ruger P95 or P97 in the $325-400 range-(9mm or .45) and be well armed-they are reliable. I've also gotten from pawn shops since March two Kahr CW45 for under $400-and they also have CW9. These are a bit smaller-and a few less rounds-but good, manageable shooters.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.