National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy my first gun and I want a bolt action rifle. I want the gun to be cheap, but more importantly I want the ammo to be cheap. I want a larger caliber like a .308. I have several hours of shooting experience and I loved shooting my father's Mouser .308 the other day, which is what I'm thinking of buying. Does anyone have a better recommendation? I live in California and will be doing target shooting (no hunting).

·
Super Moderator
14,635 Posts
Mosin Nagant. 7.62x54R. Cheap and cheap. Learn how to clean a rifle after firing cheap Russian corrosive ammo.

Alan

Reactions: Popeye and deputy

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
About the cheapest large caliber ammo you'll find is probably 30-06. Still isn't cheap compared to something like pistol ammo but you'll be hard pressed to find a large rifle caliber any cheaper that isn't some sort of old surplus ammo. With the cheap stuff you may sacrifice accuracy though. Same goes for the gun, cheap may give you poor accuracy and reliability. I always tell people don't be afraid to buy a used gun from a reputable dealer, a good friend and or have a knowledgeable friend help you pick one out. Many time you can get a older slightly used, better quality or military sporter gun cheaper than a new "cheap" gun BTW what is cheap? List a price range and someone should be able to help you. Cheap is relative to how much money one has.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Not sure what your idea of "Cheap" is but I have a Savage Axis II in 308 that can be bought new now under $400 with a scope. I have been very happy with it. If you do get the Axis spend the extra few dollars for the Aixs II. The original Axis has a poor trigger. The Walmarts in Central have 308 Winchester Power Point for $13.88 a box. I just bought some Armscore 308 at a gun show for $11.99 a box last week.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
First ideas are often the best, you tried your dad's gun and liked it, get one

Reactions: Stevejet
1 - 10 of 10 Posts