National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I not buying one as right now but i would like to know what is a good semi handgun? I am new to the gun world so something cheaper and good for target shooting.Any ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In the military, they use airsoft guns to train soilder on shooting their weapons.
I first learned all my gun techniques with airsoft guns, and they are an exelent choice for begginers because of the 1:1 scale in size, weight, and preformance.
Although they cant kill, the can easily penetrate aluminum cans, carboard boxes, paper, ect.

The cost of the guns and ammo is also cheap.
take for instance the m4 carbine. $850 a gun, and maybe $20 for a box of 100 rounds
Now take the airsoft version. A high qaulity m4 Aeg (automatic electric gun) costs $320, has a rof of 750 rounds a minute, has a 100 round magazine, and bellets cost only $20 for a bag of 5000 .2g BBS.

And airsoft guns are amazingly acurate. With the m4 aeg mentioened above, it can hit a torso sized target at over 165 feet with .2g BBS.

I'd get one of these to practice with before getting a real fire arm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Airsoft handguns also include spring/gas versions of: desert eagle, 1911a1, m9, p226 and many others

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No see i want it for target shooting but also as a house protection gun when i get good with it. ( i thought i said that but when i read the thread i didn't my bad) i am looking into a glock 26 nice small gun and easily holstered. is that a good gun?

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
No see i want it for target shooting but also as a house protection gun when i get good with it. ( i thought i said that but when i read the thread i didn't my bad) i am looking into a glock 26 nice small gun and easily holstered. is that a good gun?
Fine firearm splinter. I have shot the glock and it is a nice gun, but I don't like the fit in my hand. I went with a springfield XD40 Service model, also a great gun, and I liked the fit better. My suggestion is to find a range where you can rent a gun (usually about 10 bucks, plus you have to shoot their ammo). Shoot a few different guns from major manufacturers... Springfield-Armory, Glock, Smith & Wesson... These brands all have reasonably priced, quality hand guns... and don't overlook used guns, they can be a great bargain if you find the right one. Have fun, be safe, and good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i just looked up more info on springfield XD vs glock and for the most part people prefer glocks more they say there smaller and have a better trigger than the springfield. Went and even searched a cops forum and glocks win again. I will try to keep an eye out for a shop around here so i may be able to try them for myself. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
201 Posts
well i just looked up more info on springfield XD vs glock and for the most part people prefer glocks more they say there smaller and have a better trigger than the springfield. Went and even searched a cops forum and glocks win again. I will try to keep an eye out for a shop around here so i may be able to try them for myself. Thanks for the info.

The problem with Glocks is they just don't feel right in my short fat fingered hand. Now a 1911 feels good! You could get one for a bit less than $400.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GLocks are some of the most reliable handguns ive seen

ive left it in a muddy pond overnight and went to fire it in the morning, i didnt see any noticable difference with preformance

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
The problem with Glocks is they just don't feel right in my short fat fingered hand. Now a 1911 feels good! You could get one for a bit less than $400.
Where's the >$400 1911's?
(Checking bank account balance as we speak)

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
The Glocks are indeed reliable but they will not be as accurate as the XD-M version.

Plus you can't shoot lead reloads in the Glocks due to the barrel design. The XD-M has a match barrel which will allow firing of practice lead reloads.

The Glocks are fine for defense but to take them to a bullseye match all I can say is "Good Luck!"

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Glocks are great guns, I just personally prefer the feel and accuracy of my XD. Plus the XD has full cartrige head support on the .40 cal making the firing of reloaded ammunition much safer for this specific calibur.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A low cost handgun: Bersa Thunder 380 -or- Bersa 9mm

I had a Bersa 380 & loved it. I regret selling it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It depends on what you are looking for
*1911 style (RIA has the cheapest 1911, It is of good quality)
*CCW (Bersa thunder .380 or 9mm, Both great firearms at a great economical price)
*DA (Sig 226 or 225/ Ruger P series, both found at great prices for quality guns)
*Polymer (Glock, XD, M&P, All reliable firearms, standard prices for the most part)

With looking for a handgun means finding what you find most comfortable to shoot, go to the gun shop, pick a few up, if they have a indoor range and rentals, try one out.
Find what fits your hands and feels good, find something that is good quality.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've never had a problem shooting very accurately with my Glock. I'm every bit as accurate with it as with my Walther P22.

Here's what I was told about Glock: You can spend more money, but you can't buy a more reliable gun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts