National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These words where made by the anit-gun networks and its pretty wrong. I believe these words need to be changed.

Assault rifle (Basically means fully automatic killing machine.) - change to general-purpose rifle, or utility rifle. We can’t really own a true assault rifle, machine gun, with the proper paperwork blessings, exemptions, etc.

High capacity(More than the usual to kill more people) - no such thing, only normal capacity. This anti gun term made up by gun banners.

Please let me know you thoughts, be nice about it!

·
Banned
818 Posts
I don't use any of those words. A long gun is either called a rifle or a shotgun. A magazine is called exactly that reguardless of capacity. As long as it isn't call a clip. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use the word. Clip. I really dont see a problem with THAT word... If somebody wants to give me a reason to hate it then I would.

·
Banned
818 Posts
It was meant as a joke Travis. From all I see on gun forums everywhere, it seems that people get all butthurt over when a mag is called a clip. I think it's funny. :mrgreen:

While we are on the subject of names, can we PLEASE stop calling a suppressor/silencer a "can"? I can't stand that. :x

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I agree. Just the word ASSAULT sounds like a bad thing, and those that have no knowledge of firearms misinterpret that - It's actually one of my hubby's pet peeves!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think most anti-gun people actually mean "assult type" rifle which is what the AR15 and civilian AK47. They can't tell by appearence the difference between a military M16 and an AR15. Bacically it's the rate of fire which makes a true assult rifle. The local news evan called an SKS an "assule rifle"

G

·
i agree with all of you. the assault rifle term only works with the liberal chronically ignorant crowd. it's all based on appearance rather than fact. however we came within a whisker up here , in 1999 of having AR 15 types banned outright.as it is a semi auto rifle or shotgun can only have any type of mag. with a a mximum capacity of 5 shots period. pblsyd

·
Registered
236 Posts
This has nothing to do with antis I think but I hate it when people at the range call their scoped rifles sniper rifles. I don't really know why. I guess for me a "sniper rifle" is a rifle used by a sniper. At the range it's only a "target rifle" or "hunting rifle".

I agree with the high-cap magazine term. Glock 33 rounds magazines or betaC magazines for ARs are high-capacity rifles. 15 or 30 rounds are standard.

I can't really comment on the Assault Rifle thing. We don't speak English here...Most people simply call them rifles or "Stuermgewier" (from the German designation "Sturmgewehr"). Since I don't talk to antis, I don't need to watch my language anyway :mrgreen:

G

·
I call my rifles by their correct name: M1 carbine, SKS, AR15, AK47.

The problem a lot of folks have with clip vs magazine is that the current military drills proper nomenclature into recruits. A clip is a "stripper clip." Much ado about nothing in MYHO. I have to be conscious around my Air Force son. He spent 12 years in combat arms and corrects me every time I say "clip." I remind him that 35 years ago when I changed his diaper everybody used the term clip.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Lets say we are successful in changing the "name" of that class of rifles, does that guarantee the liberal media will "get the memo"?

An even better thing to do might be to get with your gun club an organize a media day. No cameras, just off the record gun safety and education for reporters from newspapers and tv. I say no camera, because you wouldnt want them to add to their stock footage for future reporting.

G

·
I never see "assault rifle" used on gun forums or in gun rags, unless they are actually discussing real assault rifles (those with auto switches). That said, I doubt "homeland security rifle" or "sport utility rifle" will catch on. They're pretty clumsy turns of phrase. I just call 'em rifles, since that's what they are. Why differentiate between a rifle based on a Stoner design of the 1950s and one based on a Mauser design of 1898? They're all just rifles, and all do basically the same thing: put a powerful round on target at distances greater than a pistol.

I think people got accustomed to using "high capacity magazine" back during the Clinton years when mags were neutered to 10 rounds. I am very sure this phrase was coined by gun owners rather than our opponents, because it is a descriptive phrase that everyone can understand. If I said I have a "hi-cap mag" for my Glock 17, you'd know right away I have a 17-rounder, not a Clintonized 10-rounder, right?

I am not sure we will defeat Clinton and Obama with semantics, regardless of how we change what we say. They will go on making up evil-sounding phrases, and the less-rational among our fellow Americans will go on believing them. You want to make America a better place for gun owners? Take your neighbor shooting. That'll win converts way faster than any amount of semantic debate about phrasing.

G

·
you're right mike. it always seems that we are talking to ourselves, as if any of us needed to be converted. the more new people we get into the shooting sports the more interest and educated they will become.if we ever lose our shooting sports it will be because the undecided went over to the anti's and we sat back and let it happen. we must get newcomers but especially the kids out shooting and hunting for the next generation of shooters and hunters to enjoy. pblsyd

·
Registered
761 Posts
I disagree, in part, to the high capacity one. There are a such thing as hi-cap 1911s that hold 14 rounds instead of 7.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts