National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have experience applying Cerakote? I'm about to get started and have a specific question about stencils/patterns.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,397 Posts
Sorry, never messed with Cerakote. If I was going to have it done I'd send my junk to someone that does it.
My suggestion would be YouTube though.

Reactions: Wag

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My hand-me down Kimber has been off the last 5 weeks getting coated. Hope to have it back this week. Pictures will follow. If your doing this yourself you need an oven and spray gun. There are other coatings such as gun-kote some say are better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've watched about as many videos as I can find. Hopefully by this weekend or the next I'll have my first project done and I'll post pictures as well. Just going to have to trial and error some of the pattern methods for a while, hopefully not wasting too much!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Btw Philmo11 is the resident “expert” on this, he’s done a few of his own, there are pics on here somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
12,810 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,091 Posts
I won’t be much help with this one. Cerakote is a thick 2 part solution. Be aware that if you get it between two pieces that fit together or in pin holes etc, you will probably have to do some fitting. It also has a pot life so you need to work quickly, the time starts as soon as the two parts mix.

I use GunKote. It’s one part, so no pot life to worry about. It’s ultra thin so no part fitment needed. If properly cured, it’s just as tough as cerakote. It won’t chip like cerakote.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that, I'll look into GunKote. Any idea why cerakote gets all the glory? Don't hear much talk about GunKote.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Based on Phil’s experience I was going to do mine myself. I ordered Gunkote from Brownells but it got back ordered and they did not have an estimate on when they could fill the order. I decided to find someone local who could do it but nobody in the Tampa Bay Area does Gunkote. I found a local retired Marine who does Creokote And she is so busy it been there for over five weeks. It was suppose to be ready last week. If it doesn’t get done this coming week I’m going to just get it and safe it for my son to deal with.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thanks for that, I'll look into GunKote. Any idea why cerakote gets all the glory? Don't hear much talk about GunKote.
Both work well. Both require attention to preparation, like any paint job. Probably the biggest reason that Cerakote is more prevalent is that until recently Gunkote had a very short list of colors. People wanted red/blue/purple/whatever. Cerakote had them, Gunkote didn't.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't care about many colors, will be sticking with black/grey/tan here and there. If durability is similar, I'll definitely give Gunkote a try. Already have the equipment needed, so prep shouldn't be an issue.

Was going to dabble in camo patterns, might just trial and error it on some things that don't matter to me as much as my guns.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Ok, just got the kimber home. It still needs a bit of assembly. This is a before.
Air gun Gun barrel Wood Trigger Gun accessory

but this is what it looks like now.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

more pic will follow. The coating seems to mar easily.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks good, on the left side kind of looks like she went heavy near the slide stop? I see a dark spot.

Thought the whole selling point was durability. Hopefully i can get around to trying it out in a week or 2.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts