National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Genius in Training
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any knowledge or experience with these rifles? Price doesn't seem bad and I've always had a thing for 308 semi-auto battle rifles and there is one available at a LGS. I would likely use it for deer hunting as well so any idea what would be expected for accuracy? For an auto loader I know 1MOA might be unrealistic but being that its a 308 I would hope for at most 2MOA. If the gun sucks feel free to crush my dreams now, I would rather you do it now than lack luster performance do it later after spending $700 on gun and ammo.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I'd avoid it like the plague. A friend had one of them and had nothing but problems with it. He finally sold it just to get rid of it. Much of the stuff coming from Century has some serious quality control issues.

·
Genius in Training
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd avoid it like the plague. A friend had one of them and had nothing but problems with it. He finally sold it just to get rid of it. Much of the stuff coming from Century has some serious quality control issues.
That's unfortunate. They seem to be the lowest price 308 battle rifles but I suppose you get what you pay for. I've heard both good and bad about their AKs so I'm not sure how to feel about Century as a whole.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Anyone have any knowledge or experience with these rifles? Price doesn't seem bad and I've always had a thing for 308 semi-auto battle rifles and there is one available at a LGS. I would likely use it for deer hunting as well so any idea what would be expected for accuracy? For an auto loader I know 1MOA might be unrealistic but being that its a 308 I would hope for at most 2MOA. If the gun sucks feel free to crush my dreams now, I would rather you do it now than lack luster performance do it later after spending $700 on gun and ammo.

View attachment 117349
I had one when they called it the CETME. It was not the best that is for sure. As for the statement Century has quality issues, you have not shot a Canik have you? Because NOBODY has anything bad to say that has. After it is broken in with 124 gr 9mm.

·
Genius in Training
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had one when they called it the CETME. It was not the best that is for sure. As for the statement Century has quality issues, you have not shot a Canik have you? Because NOBODY has anything bad to say that has. After it is broken in with 124 gr 9mm.
My uncle has an old CETME that was converted from full to semi to be imported. It would be a good home defense gun because it fires every time you pull the trigger and sometimes it fires twice. (Totally joking)

Is Canik made by the same company? My dad has one and it seems to work good now but the breaking period was pretty rough.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My uncle has an old CETME that was converted from full to semi to be imported. It would be a good home defense gun because it fires every time you pull the trigger and sometimes it fires twice. (Totally joking)

Is Canik made by the same company? My dad has one and it seems to work good now but the breaking period was pretty rough.
No, Canik is a company in Turkey. They have sold their weapons to the militaries and PD's through out the world. If a person does not break them in on 124 gr+P (NATO) the are rough to shoot. But Century tells you that up front. Once you have 250 rounds through them they are fantastic. Stock trigger is unbeatable. If a person calls Century and tells them they are breaking them in on 115's, they will send a different spring at no charge. I like them so much that I own three different models.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
From what I know of the Canik pistols they are imported by Century, not manufactured by them. The quality issues I mentioned all involved refurbed milsurp rifles modified or manufactured by Century. The CETME mentioned by the OP of this thread is a Spanish made copy of the West German G3 rifle. Originals were select fire imported and modified to Semi Auto only by Century. Your odds of getting a bad one were pretty high. The quality issues with Century weren't unique to their CETME rifles. I've seen Mauser rifles marketed by them that were put together from parts, some with headspace issues I've even seen one which the barrel wasn't torqued down and was so loose that you could unscrew the barrel with your bare hands. This was on one of their Swedish Mauser sporter conversions straight out of the box from the factory. I'd seen enough poorly assembled/modified rifles from them that I wouldn't recommend them and would be hesitant to buy one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts