National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was watching The Magnificent Seven last night and Denzel Washington holsters his revolvers backwards, with the butt of the gun forward. And I've seen several other Westerns that where the characters utilize the same method. I've always wondered why that was utilized. It seemed counter intuitive for a quick draw, but apparently it's more efficient. FBI and Secret Service are also known for utilizating this method. Anyone else utilize this method when they conceal carry or open carry?

·
Aim true !
10,342 Posts
When i dual carry. My left side gun i have it with the grip forward for cross draw.

·
Aim true !
10,342 Posts
Yes it's easy. With the but forward. I don't have to flip the gun in the right direction. I dual carry for hikes. My 44 mag on my right side. And 10mm 1911 on my left. I train for defensive use in the woods. When in public i carry my back up a pocket pistol. That i keep in my right pocket.

·
Live Free
2,889 Posts
I carry at 11:00 crossdraw. It is very efficient for me to draw from concealed carry (OWB). I do not attempt to mimic Hollywood in any way and I do not intend to. I practice for an efficient and safe draw, not a "quick draw." I am not going to star in a western movie remake, I just want to defend my life and loved ones.

·
Super Moderator
14,235 Posts
I've always carried crossdraw.

Alan

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
yes.....i have on rare occasion strong-side cavalry draw when i "mexican carry" a larger gun.....being a lefty its at the 8:00 position and canted but forward.

How did i come to this? in my youth being a lefty, LH holsters were a bit more hard to come by......so i simply wore a RH holster on the wrong side......which translates to cavalry draw.

i would suspect perhaps that other old west gunmen use cavalry draw for the same reasons....the availability of the wrong holster for the shooting hand......or perhaps from prior military experience if you happen to believe wiki

.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalry_draw

i think its because they have been trying to make "righties" out of "Lefties" since the dawn of time.....and we just won't do it....so we improvise/adapt/overcome.....:lol:

·
Super Moderator
14,235 Posts
My preference for crossdraw comes from a lot of sources. I carry my knife and leatherman on my right side. I use them far more that my pistol. It's more comfortable to sit with crossdraw. I like to sit. When I'm driving the muzzle is pointing out of the truck away from passengers and other stuff in the truck.

I like crossdraw but I don't do cavalry draw.

Alan

·
Registered
536 Posts
I use the both butt forward *cavalry draw" (though it's not, really, as the cavalry manual of arms stipulated a right side butt forward holster, for left hand draw, the right hand being for the sabre or sword), for CAS. I can't say that I am a particularly quick draw, however. Short story, I farouked up my holster and belt order. Was supposed to be butt forward left for cross draw and butt aft right side holster, but I ordered incorrectly. My fault, not El Paso Saddlery, so I just got used to it. I like it fine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I carry a Blackhawk or Vaquero at times. One for coyotes and feral hogs and one for snakes when I walk.the dog. One is in a cross draw holster that I made. The other in an El Dorado/Calvary draw. I have Steel plates in my wrist, a dislocated elbow that did not heal quite right. I also have had surgery on that shoulder and still have burrs and partially torn muscles. If I wear an El Dorado or standard "Cowboy" rig, I either can't get it out of the holster or wear it damn near to my knee to get it out. With the 15° forward cant with butt forward at about 4 oclock, like an El Dorado style, I can draw with my right hand. Otherwise it is cross draw or short barrel semiauto only. And I do like my single actions.
My 5 inch 1911s, same problem. Even with shorter ones, I have to lean a little forward to get them out easily.
I used to get hurt a lot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,705 Posts
Crossdraw was for the simple fact of drawing is much easier (or sometimes quicker) when seated or riding a horse.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Me a pocket Carry if I can do Dual 3-4 o clock on hip or shoulder holster,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts