National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a technical reference:

Have any of you ever seen a list of all small-arms cartridge volumes?

Say you dropped an unfired cartridge of a given caliber into a beaker of water. A measurable volume of water would be displaced, which would equal the total volume of the cartridge.

I am searching for a list of such volumes for as many small-arms cartridges as possible.

Thanks in advance for any useful info.

·
A BORG of the HIVE
232 Posts
I don't know of any charts, but it's easy enough to make your own by weighing the empty and then weighing the water filled case.

But bear in mind that the length of the neck can vary, so filling the case to the base of the neck will provide a more accurate measurement.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know of any charts, but it's easy enough to make your own by weighing the empty and then weighing the water filled case.

But bear in mind that the length of the neck can vary, so filling the case to the base of the neck will provide a more accurate measurement.
Thanks, I am looking for the external volumes of loaded cartridges, not the internal volume of the cases.

It would be easy enough if I had a graduated glass cylinder, and one of each cartridge, but I thought someone had to have already done this somewhere.

Of the 3 major ammo manufacturers I contacted, only Hornady responded, and told me to do it myself. :frown:

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Look for RELOADING DATA on google they have measurements of different bullets, You will have to be the math wizard to figure the rest.

·
A BORG of the HIVE
232 Posts
Thanks, I am looking for the external volumes of loaded cartridges, not the internal volume of the cases.

It would be easy enough if I had a graduated glass cylinder, and one of each cartridge, but I thought someone had to have already done this somewhere.

Of the 3 major ammo manufacturers I contacted, only Hornady responded, and told me to do it myself. :frown:

Ya might end up having to buy a graduated container.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
You're going to see a LOT of variability here. Even if the cartridge uses the same bullet, et al, seating depth variation alone is going to create significant variability in your study.

--Wag--

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
He said he was looking for external volume (not too sure if he's truly clear on what that really implies) of loaded cartridges, not the volume of the empty cases.

--Wag--

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He said he was looking for external volume (not too sure if he's truly clear on what that really implies) of loaded cartridges, not the volume of the empty cases.

--Wag--
Thanks. Yes, of course, I understand that every cartridge of a given caliber is not going to be the same depending on manufacturer, etc. That's why magazines and such are made to certain tolerances.

I thought magazine designers would have this kind of info somewhere, but they probably just treat a cartridge as a cylinder of some length and diameter for their purposes.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Thanks. Yes, of course, I understand that every cartridge of a given caliber is not going to be the same depending on manufacturer, etc. That's why magazines and such are made to certain tolerances.

I thought magazine designers would have this kind of info somewhere, but they probably just treat a cartridge as a cylinder of some length and diameter for their purposes.
I think there are maximums which can be found in most reloading manuals. Start there.

SAAMI is the reference lab which defines these measurements.

--Wag--

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
;;;
SAAMI is the reference lab which defines these measurements.

--Wag--
Contacted SAAMI. Some woman responded with the obvious, which was no help whatsoever. If I could get the same drawing the SAAMI engineers use in auto-cad format, I could figure it out. The request for that she totally ignored, as one would expect from a gravy-train paper-pusher at such a place...

I have to buy a graduated cylinder, and go beg at the local gun shops to get one of each of every cartridge...

·
Registered
4 Posts
What good are total volume measurements without case and chamber dimensions?
When your talking case volume your dealing with chamber pressures, the total volume of the chamber or cartridge tells you nothing about internal ballistics.

Measuring the external volume of your cars engine won't tell you how much horse power the engine has.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What good are total volume measurements without case and chamber dimensions?
\\\
I am designing something for which I don't need to know anything about the ballistics. I need to know as precisely as possible the amount of space a cartridge would occupy within the boundaries of total length tolerances.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
Depending upon the margin of error you can live with, yes an unfired cartridge will displace a certain volume of water. You'll likely have to do it yourself. A graduated cylinder will yield the most accurate results. That particular measurement Is not used in any ballistic reference that I can think of. Perhaps you can enlighten us?

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
I am designing an item that doesn't exist on the market yet, and doesn't have anything to do with ballistics of a cartridge.
I figured the part out about not having anything to do with ballistics. I can't figure out the part that doesn't exist yet.....duh.... like that's the story of my life man.

Tell us what it is so we can Poo Poo it and tell you it won't work.

Alan

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I cannot think of a single useful reason to know this, but hopefully you are more creative than I and will make millions off of this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts