National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you carry, and do you keep a round in the chamber?

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I have several different types of guns that I carry and there is always one in the pipe and if it's a 1911 it's on C&L. I want a gun ready to fire as soon as I clear leather. Hundred's of a second can mean the difference between life and death. :---

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I ask is because within one week of each other, a buddy of mine who was in the army, and a buddy of mine who is in the air force, both asked, "Why do you keep a round in the chamber?" Both times I responded, "Gun doesn't work if there isn't anything in the chamber." Both times that was enough to satisfy them.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
The military have strict rules as to when a round may be chambered into their pistols or rifles. ADs, while not common, do occur and when you have as many people armed as they do in the various services, they're inevitable. I am not sure what current regs are, hopefully someone who is currently active can bring us up to date on that.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Most gate MP's and such are not allowed to have one in the pipe or on C&L. Only at real high priority places are they allowed to have one in the pipe or on C&L. War zones they are load all the time and ready. :D

G

·
What I carry depends: danger level, time of year, clothing, whether or not backup (mine or buddy) is available. As a bare minimum I carry a .380 loaded w Corbons. Then either a .40 or .45, depending on concealibility. If I'm carrying only the .380 I back it up with an NAA mini mag. That was today shopping at Target in broad daylight. If I went back tonight I'd have the .40 inside the waistband with the .380 as a backup.
I don't consider anything less than .380 adequate, feel better with the .40 w/ Winchester Ranger 155 gr LE ammo.

As a rule I avoid places that are potentially dangerous: eg convenience stores after dark, dimly lit parking lots. I'll pay $5 to park in a city lot for an event rather that a free curb park with no lights or people around. Thanks be to God, Georgia just enacted the Second Amendment Protection Act. Now if we go to a concert or event at a city auditorium it is legal to carry! We have always done so but always afraid they will put up a metal detector, in which case we'd leave and go home. Last year in Savannah a couple was robbed coming out from a concert, the male resisted and was stabbed, almost bled out before 911 arrived.

My lifetime philosophy: Rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6, -r-

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
My carry firearm is a M&P .40 Compact.

Most of the day... No, I do not have one in the chamber. However, depending on where I am, or going... I do load one in. The majority of my typical day I am in my shop office, of which I have a nice sawed off double barrel 10ga loaded, strapped under my desk pointing toward the door.

Also, 4 of my 8 employees carry... so at my business, I always feel comfortable, and prepared.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I carry a Glock 27 .40

There's always one in the chamber, I don't want to risk what might happen if I had no time to chamber a round.

G

·
Absolutely carry one in the hole - im a little confused actually why you would even ask this question. Carrying a gun without one in the hole is like carrying a knife without a blade - i dont get it.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
blp5172 said:
Absolutely carry one in the hole - im a little confused actually why you would even ask this question. Carrying a gun without one in the hole is like carrying a knife without a blade - i dont get it.
Cake said:
The reason I ask is because within one week of each other, a buddy of mine who was in the army, and a buddy of mine who is in the air force, both asked, "Why do you keep a round in the chamber?" Both times I responded, "Gun doesn't work if there isn't anything in the chamber." Both times that was enough to satisfy them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I always carry chambered.
I even did so when I had guard duty stateside in the Army.
If the post warranted a weapon it warranted having ammo ready to go.
I caught hell a couple of times but won my point.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Kimber Custom Covert II, and yes.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
If I carry I will always have a round in the chamber. To bring a gun into play quickly and to have to rack the slide before firing puts you at a serious disadvantage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts