National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This caliber appears to be the hot ticket with the police around the nation. Did you pick this caliber because of this fact or for other reasons?

G

·
I picked the .40 because there was no way I going to get a 9mm and the .45 ammo cost to much for me at the time, so I compromised and went in the middle.

G

·
I picked up a the 40 cal. on the advice of someone who shot the same pistol I was getting. That is the Kahr PM40. My plans were to get the PM9. I just picked it up and only have had the chance to shoot it a few times. It's a handfull.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
sig232 said:
This caliber appears to be the hot ticket with the police around the nation. Did you pick this caliber because of this fact or for other reasons?
We carry .40S&W for a few reasons. Following the caliber since abour '93 or so I had (and still do) read all of the professional assessments that I can get my hands on. The .40S&W has proven itself in almost every way possible for both police and civilian carry. What I like about it as a trainer is that I can put it in the hands of an inexperienced shooter of any physical size or either gender and have that person feeling confident and able after two training sessions (1 classroom / 1 range). I can not do that with a .45ACP.

The .40S&W is available in every size and configuration, so it naturally lends itself to CCW as well as duty carry. I have fired a Glock Mod 30 and I, as an experienced shooter and instructor, feel that it is not controllable by anyone without extensive practice. Now, you guys who have 'em and love 'em -- Great for YOU! But understand that while we spend hours talking and expounding about this stuff, and lots of bucks on practicing with our pistols, most "normal" shooters DO NOT. I'm not going to go pulling numbers out of my ... but I would be surprised if most "normal" shooters fire their carry weapon more than 1-2X per year. Such a shooter is not doing him/herself any favors carrying a gun s/he doesn't have full control over.

You 9mm fans -- good for you. There is nothing wrong with the caliber. I've always liked being able to carry 17 rounds and with 9mm it's a big plus. Take that any way you wish. My bottom line is effectiveness and terminal ballistics. The .40S&W is superior. Fact is, in several loadings, the .40S&W beats the .45ACP.

So when a student/customer asks what's good and what's not (which is the way the question is frequently asked) I try to lay out the pros and cons. Many "normal" shooters own only one firearm. ...I know, that's hard for many of "us" to imagine, but it's true. The .40S&W has recoil only slightly greater than a 9mm and significantly lower than a .45ACP. The report is virtually the same as 9mm. Practice ammo is about a buck a box more than 9mm and a few bucks less than .45ACP. Magazine capacity is usually slightly lower than 9mm and somewhat more than .45ACP, but I don't give that a lot of weight when addressing a carry gun. The .40S&W can be had in any size platform that 9mm is offered without significant reduction of controllability. And they cost the same.

Once again, that's my $0.02 worth, and again you got what you paid for. :p

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did notice that Wal-Mart had 100 round boxes of 40 cal for a decent price. You might check that out when you get time. I want to say, Winchester Target/Range labeled ammo! For $12+ a box!

Is that a good price, I don't buy 40 cal. Yet! ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
You always hear so much contradictory stuff all the time , that it's really good to hear from someone who really knows what he's talking about. Thanks, gunrnr!

·
Registered
338 Posts
sig232 said:
I did notice that Wal-Mart had 100 round boxes of 40 cal for a decent price. You might check that out when you get time. I want to say, Winchester Target/Range labeled ammo! For $12+ a box!

Is that a good price, I don't buy 40 cal. Yet! ;)
Sig, I don't know about you, but I think gunrnr "sold me" on the .40. :i: :---

1 - 10 of 10 Posts