National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I live in the state of GA i am a green card holder and have resisded here for about 3 years. I am 22 years old. I would like to apply for a carry permit, however because i live at home i don't have a utility bill under my name, this is required for the appliction, i have car payments, insurance, my id has the right address, and i am not sure if there is a way around this. Your help would greatly be appreciated thankyou.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In Missouri you can have a Utility bill or a State Drivers Lic with your address on the ID. You have to have lived at that Residence for at least 6 months. Also, in Missouri you have to be 24 years of age in order to have a CC permit.

-Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. Here you dont need to have any bills in your name. You just need to be 21 or over with a State Driver License or State ID both with current address. Im loking at the app right now. If you lived in the state less than 5 yrs it takes longer because they send your prints to the FBI. I remember when I was younger and went to buy a car they wanted a ulitity bill and I told them I live with my mom and I have a cellphone bill. They took that because it was a bill and had my name and address on it. So call them and ask if you can bring/use a cell bill.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know a couple of the guys in my CC class had to get a Florida permit because they were too young & I believe one of them lived with their parents.

I was told that Florida has fewer rules than most states & they do issue permits to people who live in other states. I believe that the instructor who gives your class(if you have to take one) has to be approved by Florida. Check into getting a Florida Permit.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Any rules for other states have no bearing on your Georgia application. First question is whether you have read the Georgia statue governing the issuance of CHLs. If you haven't, you must. If you do secure a license, you will be responsible for following it to the letter.

Second, that statute must either list what identification is required, or will state that it is to be determined by the issuing agency (more likely). Get their rules in writing. Again, you are responsible for following those rules to the letter.

Third, determine exactly what is required to support your claim to residency. If it is utility bills, get your parents to provide theirs with a notarized statement that you are part of the household. If that is not acceptable, again, get with the issuing agency and find out what hoops you need to jump through. It is unlikely that there are no other acceptable methods of proving residency -- don't listen to others, find out for yourself.

When Mr. Whompuss -- one of our senior members -- checks in, I'm sure he'll have more helpful info for you. He's lived in Georgia since it became a state.

Good luck!

OH, and welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around and join in the fun.

KYPD,

~Rick
a/ik/a "The Gunrunner"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have lived in Georgia all of my life and have a CCW.
I just talked to the Probate Judge in my County (Emanuel) and he advises that the applicant must show proof of "right to be in the USA," be a resident of GA for 90 days, proof of citizenship of foreign country and pass a background check. If he has a green card he must already have the required documentation. Any document showing Georgia residency for 90 days is acceptable, does not have to be a utility bill- that is one example.
The Judge advises the applicant to go to his county Probate Court and make application, in person, as numerous sets of fingerprints are required.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankyou both very much, i do have a green card and my drivers license dates back to 2005. I will get my parents utility bill notorized asap. I also have my name on the insurance and the car payment as i stated earlier. Thanks again gentleman, i will let you know how it goes oh and i appreciate the warm welcome. My second question which is probably the best question to ask is what gun to get if and when the permit comes in, i am not sure if i need to post a new topic. Basically i would like to purchase a small handgun for concealed carry, i own a gas station in a really rough area. My dad has a Kahr PM9 and that works for him. i was looking for something a little bigger with a little more punch especially if i felt like going to the range and having fun. I have been looking at the small Kimbers and i don't mind spending a little money. But if there is something of equal value for less i am all ears. I would like something that has a safety and i like the look of the 1911 pistols. 9mm, .40 and .45 cal are options. The gun also needs to be fairly light weight. I thought abt getting a second gun like a snub nose revolver as a back up weapon to be holstered around my ankle. I really am open to any suggestions, i just want to keep things safe and reliable. If i can get both guns for around $1200.00 that would be perfect, i know if i went with the Kimber that would throw things off. But if any of you really think its worth it, then thats a bet to. I appologise for the essay and thank any1 that replies in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I carry the Kahr T-40 (.40 S&W) which has a single stack 7+1 capacity. It's a pre-cock design like the Glock and doesn't have or need a safety. The .40 S&W round is a law enforcement favorite and has enough to take out a BG with one round where the 9 mm sometimes takes two. Another great choice in 1911 design is the Kimber UltraRaptor II in .45 acp. It is the same size as the Kahr T-40 but costs more and has 6+1 capacity. It has two safties: the tradition 1911 slide lock plus a sweeze safety on the backstrap. It is super reliable, super accurate and the .45 is a helluva stopper. The Glock 27 is a traditional favorite in a .40 and is very concealable. Like the Kahr it is a pre cocker without a safety.
Speaking of safe, the majority of LE's in the US carry a Glock- they bet their life on it every day. They are ugglier than my butt, but if you don't mind that, they're hard to beat.
The State of GA switched from S&W to the Glock several years ago. Story goes they dropped the Glock out of a plane into a mud bog and left it for 24 hours, put it on hard ground and ran over it with a Hummer, tossed it into water for another day, took it out and rinsed it off, it fired every round without a glitch. No other gun in the world can beat that test. :---

1 - 8 of 8 Posts