National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that always carries his pistol in his front pocket without a holster. Do you find this method of carry comfortable?

I find that my pistol will rotate in my pocket and feel uncomfortable plus be very difficult to extract quickly. What are your thoughts about that type of carry?

G

·
I wouldn't recommend that. The gun will print and eventually wear a hole in the pocket, two good reasons not to do it.

G

·
I wouldn't recommend it either. I don't carry though, not for another 50 days or so :mrgreen: I have tried out some different holsters and carrying without a holster in different pockets and I just don't think having it in a front pocket is that practical.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried the Uncle Mikes fabric holsters and they worked pretty good but the Galco pocket holster keeps the Kel-tec or Seecamp upright and quick to draw out of my front pocket.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
A holster will also keep the gun clean. I won't carry without some type of holster.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I have in the past used the unsupported felony carry. I found that it was less likely to print than a supported felony carry. But still not the best idea. The weapon is less secure if you simply shove it in your pants.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I use a pocket holster that keeps the grip pointed up and has a lip that will catch so that the gun comes out easily.

I can't imagine carrying in a pocket without one.

And regarding printing, most folks don't even notice one on my hip. If someone in the community notices me printing, maybe it will start a pleasant conversation.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
I will just have to move so I can carry legally. When I carry in Montana, I do so openly. I cannot imagine trying to put my handguns which are full size in my pocket - don't think they would fit. Definitely would not be very comfortable.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great pictures! Thanks for putting those up.:thumbsup:

G

·
I do, but only when heading to work, where I set the pistol down while I'm working that way I don't have to take the holster on and off. Also, only in certain pants where the pistol doesn't fall down in the pocket.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have a friend that always carries his pistol in his front pocket without a holster. Do you find this method of carry comfortable?

I find that my pistol will rotate in my pocket and feel uncomfortable plus be very difficult to extract quickly. What are your thoughts about that type of carry?
I think it all depends on your body and how it fits into the pants you wear.
Most of the pants I wear fit loose enough that I can carry my P3AT without the Nemesis holster.
The gun stays put and does not print much at all.
It dress pants that I have which have a pretty loose fit, I prefer to carry the P3AT in it's holster so the gun does not move around.
It's all a matter of fit and feel. I don't think there is any one answer for every body and pants type out there.

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
About twenty years ago a local guy blew his own balls off when he fumbled with a crotched large caliber revolver while driving. It would be funny if he didn't kill a local police officer shortly afterward. He died not long later in prison, of complications from his rather horrible wounds.

Anyway, back to guns, a friend of mine loves crotched carry, but when I try it the barrel of the gun chafes my leg. I prefer a small of back/rear waistband carry, which is open carry around here unless you put a sportcoat or long shirt on over it, in which case it becomes concealed carry (and quite lawful with permit).

I've had various discussions with out-of-staters about printing, and I guess I must live in a pretty easy-going jurisdiction because a little printing is no big deal around here. Brandishing only happens if you actually touch the gun while interacting with a person, and even then has to cause apprehension (which may be inferred in certain circumstances).

If I can't comfortably carry a pistol in small of back, concealed, I just carry a laptop computer case as a travelling arsenal. Plenty of room for extra magazines, too.

Holsters are great for open carry, but I've not found one I like for concealed carry other than a small of back holster, and even that is pretty big.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts