National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I wanted to post here to ask a few questions about a stock I am building. I made a carbon fiber composite stock for a Springfield M1A that I own and it turned out really well (see attached images). I am actually getting a lot of interest in it from the M14/M1A crowd. I think my next project is going to be making a carbon fiber composite stock for a .308 Remington 700 SPS Tactical . I've been wanting to get one of these rifles and this is the perfect excuse to finally get it.

To make the M1A stock, I made a large aluminum mold and bladder molded the stock under about 70 psi at 300 degrees for about 5 hours. The M1A stock is 100% carbon fiber composite. I understand, though, that the higher end Rem 700 aftermarket stocks have metal pillars.

So, my questions are more about what I need to engineer into the 700 SPS Tactical stock to make it a good shooter. I am planning to embed metal pillars for the receiver, ensure the barrel is free floated, and build plenty of stiffness into the forend so it doesn't contact the barrel when the rifle is shot (or when a bipod is attached). What else should I be thinking about? Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Recoil pad attachment, rear sling swivel attachment, how slippery it is going to be when it rains, what happens when someone sticks it on a big magnum instead of a .223 or .308...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow. Thats a gorgeous looking stock, what would something like that sell for? I'm a bit of a CF geek and something like that might drive me to purchase another M1A just to show that off. Very well done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. Thats a gorgeous looking stock, what would something like that sell for? I'm a bit of a CF geek and something like that might drive me to purchase another M1A just to show that off. Very well done.
Thanks. I am currently selling the M1A stock at $499 plus shipping. PM me if you are interested. I am starting a production run later this month and hope to start shipping the stock in February.

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
One thing that would be beneficial would be to mould the stock so that different comb height adjustments could be added in order to accommodate scope height. You could possibly make the comb adjustments in 1/4" intervals. I know it would entail more work, but it may be a big selling point. I would prefer a bedding block similar to what is used in the B&C Medalist stocks over pillar bedding, but then again, there goes more work. Just curious as to how well bedding compound adheres to carbon fiber. As to the butt pad, I've found that the Pachmayr Decelerator's work very well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing that would be beneficial would be to mould the stock so that different comb height adjustments could be added in order to accommodate scope height. You could possibly make the comb adjustments in 1/4" intervals. I know it would entail more work, but it may be a big selling point. I would prefer a bedding block similar to what is used in the B&C Medalist stocks over pillar bedding, but then again, there goes more work. Just curious as to how well bedding compound adheres to carbon fiber. As to the butt pad, I've found that the Pachmayr Decelerator's work very well.
Ronl,

Thanks for the input. I've been working on the design and I was heading in the direction of a metal bedding block as I think it will actually make the stock a bit more simple to make. I'll post some images of the CAD design as it comes along.

Thanks,

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts