Cannon?

Machine Gun?

Chain Gun?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will try to start this thread!

I think a cannon has a projectile that is explosive! Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Having used those terms forever, it still is difficult to separate them. I'll try. A machine gun is one that fires a .50 cal cartridge or smaller, continuously until the operator releases the trigger. A cannon is a gun that fires a cartridge larger then .50 cal and may be either automatic, semi-auto or single shot. A believe that a chain gun is a type of firearm in which the firing mechanism and the ammunition feed are synchronized with a chain (like a timing chain on an engine). A sub-machine gun is a machine gun that fires a pistol cartridge (think Thompson, Grease Gun, MP9, etc.)

...Oh, and the antis' favorite term, the "Assault Weapon" is a selectable machine gun. In other words, the M16 is an assault weapon since it can be fired either semi- or full-auto. A civilian AR15 is not, since it is semi-auto only.

Any help from those more expert in this field is appreciated...

G

·
gunrnr said:
Having used those terms forever, it still is difficult to separate them. I'll try. A machine gun is one that fires a .50 cal cartridge or smaller, continuously until the operator releases the trigger. A cannon is a gun that fires a cartridge larger then .50 cal and may be either automatic, semi-auto or single shot. A believe that a chain gun is a type of firearm in which the firing mechanism and the ammunition feed are synchronized with a chain (like a timing chain on an engine). A sub-machine gun is a machine gun that fires a pistol cartridge (think Thompson, Grease Gun, MP9, etc.)

...Oh, and the antis' favorite term, the "Assault Weapon" is a selectable machine gun. In other words, the M16 is an assault weapon since it can be fired either semi- or full-auto. A civilian AR15 is not, since it is semi-auto only.

Any help from those more expert in this field is appreciated...
Yes! u got it pretty much rite on "gunrnr" ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts