National Gun Forum banner

Can you openly carry at YOUR business or YOUR property?

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  coach1299 
G
#1 ·
Forgive me if this posted twice. Can you open carry at your home or business if you want or do you have to carry concealed at all times? What about in your yard, etc?

#2 ·
I believe this depends on your state, so post where you live and I'm sure someone can help you. Otherwise you can check your local laws.

#4 ·
I'm not to sure of the SC gun laws... However I do believe in most places you can openly on your own private property. I would say look to the department of justice for your state, or I'm sure someone else here can help you out. ;D

G
#5 ·
Okay, I took the time to look it up myself and here is the law from SC, if anybody else if from SC. Look at #8.

SECTION 16‑23‑20. Unlawful carrying of pistol; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any pistol, whether concealed or not, except as follows:

(1) Regular, salaried law enforcement officers and reserve police officers of a municipality or county of the State, uncompensated Governor’s constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators.

(2) Members of the Armed Forces of the United States or of the National Guard, organized reserves, or the State Militia when on duty.

(3) Members of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State, or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits.

(4) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing.

(5) Any person regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, repossession, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of this person while possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business.

(6) Guards engaged in protection of property of the United States or any agency thereof.

(7) Any authorized military or civil organizations while parading or the members thereof when going to and from the places of meeting of their respective organizations.

(8) Any person in his home, or upon his real property, or fixed place of business.

(9) Any person in a vehicle where the pistol is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, or closed trunk.

(10) Any person carrying a pistol unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or a fixed place of business or while in the process of the changing or moving of one’s residence or the changing or moving of his fixed place of business.
(11) Any prison guard while engaged in his official duties.

(12) Any person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to carry a pistol about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit. Persons authorized to carry weapons pursuant to items (6) and (12) of this section may exercise this privilege only after acquiring a permit (CWP) from the State Law Enforcement Division as provided for in Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23.

#6 ·
See there you go. ;D

No you know your allowed to arm yourself at your home and business. :thumbsup:

Ps. I would of looked that up for you if I was at home, but some school district's get all bent out of shape if you go googling the words "gun" or "pistol"

G
#9 ·
Im not sure if you could or couldnt here, probly not. I know you cant fire a gun with in 300 yards of a house.. I am not sure why you would need to carry a gun around your property anyways..

G
#10 ·
Maybe not at home, but it would be handy at a place of business. I'm in a very professional business and on the good side of town, but offices like mine have been robbed before and I have employees to protect. At the same time, I don't want to make my customers nervous.

#11 ·
Home /Yard and Business Carry

NJ is one of the stricktest states, but it's my understanding that you can carry anyway you want at home, in the yard/property, or at your business as log as the business is a fixed/stationary location. You can still expect the majority anti gun people to drop a dime if they see you carrying on your property, and you can still expect to be hassled even though it's legal. State law does not allow vehicles to be considered a business. In other words a plumber or other contractor that works out his truck unfortunately can not carry because his business is mobile. He can carry at his office or shop, and can extend that right to his workers or agents. A jewler can carry anyway he wants at his store, but would need a carry permit to go out on the road, and in this state they don't issue too many carry permits. The only way a person can carry/possess a firearm in a vehicle in this state (without a carry permit or legal exemption: such as police & military) is unloaded, locked in trunk, seperated from the ammo and be enroute to a range, hunting , gun show, or gun repair shop. Some guys will make the best of it and keep a gun on board in the manner stated above and always have the story ready that they're on their way to one of the few places mentioned above that you're allowed to take it. The people here just don't see the real picture. Gun related crime is through the roof in many places and the criminals never seem to follow the rules, but the good guys are not welcome to their constitutional rights to bear arms. Our NJ law enforcement community, liberal special interests groups, and legislators almost always take the anti gun stance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.