National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
If it fires more than 1 round with a single pull of the trigger it's a machine gun. Anything else is describing a subset.
Squad, beltfed, sub, machine pistol, all subsets of "machine gun"
Kind of like automobiles. Full size, compact, coupe, hatchback, convertible---all subsets of the larger automobiles.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Yes. Does it matter if it's a sub machine gun, infantry machine gun or heavy machine gun? They are all still machine guns. Machine gun means it fires full auto, the other adjectives just tell the size or type of machine gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for this and for the welcome. So would the mobsters and police of the prohibition era all have called it a “machine gun”?

I think the 1934 legislation specifically regarded the Thompson as a “machine gun”.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are nicknames but would they have regarded it technically as a “machine gun”? Not trying to be rude at all, but did the cops think of it as a “machine gun”?

·
Aim true !
10,340 Posts
J.P'S clone has arrived folks.

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
It's idiomatic language. My real name is Johnson, but you can call me Ray or you can call me J.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
NO I have never seen any "machines" sewing,soda or candy machines fall out the barrel. Semi Auto or Auto .45 acp seen a few reproductions in .22 but definitely no Machines

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Were all Tommy Guns made before WW2 legally “machine guns”?
No. The ones made before the 1934 firearms act were. After that they had to be registered or were only sold to police, feds and the military.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No. The ones made before the 1934 firearms act were. After that they had to be registered or were only sold to police, feds and the military.
What model were the police mostly sold do you know please? What I mean is that the 1927 Model wasn't even called a "submachine gun". From what Wikipedia says it was called a "carbine".

I thought the models before WW2 were classified as "machine guns", because they could be made fully automatic easily?

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I don't know all of the Thompson models off the top of my head. As far as i know they were all full auto which makes them machine guns. Prior to the 1934 firearms act anyone could just buy one. After that they were restricted to police, federal and military use unless you were permitted to own one. I believe some were also exported to foreign countries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts