National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your take on this issue? We are pumping too much money into the Middle East which enables them to arm and give us grief.

Do you think we have a chance to develope other sources to make America energy independent??

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I read something a few years ago about a guy in Texas that developed a hydrogen engine that ran off water..... or something like that, I can't remember exactly (age!). Anyone else heard about that......

I definitely think a different direction is what is needed.....

G

·
It's an economic issue, obviously. We'll stay on foreign oil until something more cost-effective comes along.

If the stupid greenies and granolas would stop freaking out every time someone even mentioned the words "nuclear power," we'd be much closer to energy independence right now. Electric cars could be run off power derived from nuclear energy sources, as could home heating.

Indirectly, we are in the Middle East fighting wars the greenies hate because they forced us to quit nuclear power twenty-some years ago, mainly because they are too dumb to understand the difference between nuclear fission and nuclear fusion.

·
Registered
957 Posts
We could stop buying their oil tomorrow, nothing would change, some other country would buy what we would. They would still sell as much as they want to.

What is absurd is not allowing us to drill for our own oil right here in America. And why limit our offshore drilling only to see Mexico build platforms out there?

Now, I understand that middle-eastern oil is easier to get to and cost less to produce, that has to be taken into consideration too. I just might not be worth it to drill here, right now that is. I hear on talk radio that the cariboo in Alaska actually prosper near the pipeline, contrary to what naysayers spew out.

To think that if we stop buying terrorist oil will cause them to starve is not true.

my $0.02.

G

·
red-rider said:
To think that if we stop buying terrorist oil will cause them to starve is not true.
That's not really the argument, though. The idea is that if we are no longer dependent on the Middle East for such a major part of our economy, we can pull up stakes there and let the savages have the holy war/religious cleansing that they seem to crave.

And with the exception of Israel, whom I think we are obligated to help defend, what would the world really lose if the Middle East went up in flames? From where I sit here in Afghanistan, not a whole heck of a lot.

If China wants to try to keep the oil flowing by inserting themselves into the Middle East, please let them. It will only sap Chinese military resources that they could someday use against us.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If that's the plan. fine with me, let 'em all burn for all I care. But when their 'Holy War' is done, Who are they gonna threaten then? They'll look for the next group of infidels to kill.

G

·
red-rider said:
If that's the plan. fine with me, let 'em all burn for all I care. But when their 'Holy War' is done, Who are they gonna threaten then? They'll look for the next group of infidels to kill.
And how does that differ from what they are doing now, exactly? Wouldn't we infidels be be better off if the numbers of jihadis was reduced by, say, half?

·
Registered
957 Posts
That sounds good too. When is it gonna happen? Im all for drilling in this hemisphere, Nuclear power, whatever.

Liberals wont let us be energy independant, Cant dig here. Ted Kennedy dont want windmills in his back yard. Of course I listen to the conservative talk radio all the time (and get plenty of their propaganda), I could go on and on.

I kinda like the windfarms, never seen on in person, I dont know what they sound like, but from the pics I've seen, I think there cool. I something on ABC morning show yesterday griping about the coal mining, seems there removing whole mountians for coal...someones gonna gripe in any situation, anything we do.

Now, I dont want an electric car, UH UH, no way hosea. I like my V8, and want it to stay. I need my truck, sometimes. I have been wanting another motorcycle though, to ride to work during the warm months.....Theres and idea, we all get bikes, my old suzuki got 40 mpg if I remember correctly.

I have an '81 firebird sitting in my backyard, if I every get it finished, it wont be any fun without its V8.

G

·
Hey, I have no objections to a V8 if you want to pay for the gas. Just keep in mind that it is partially America's appetite for fossil fuel consumption - along with liberals' refusal to consider other sources - that keeps American troops in the Middle East. Personally, when I get back from this deployment, I am selling my SUV and buying a tiny gas miser car. It's only a small gesture, but I want to contribute as little as possible to the need to have our guys over here for the next several decades.

"The spice must flow." - Frank Herbert, Dune

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mohandas Gandhi

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
red-rider said:
That sounds good too. When is it gonna happen? Im all for drilling in this hemisphere, Nuclear power, whatever.

Liberals wont let us be energy independant, Cant dig here. Ted Kennedy dont want windmills in his back yard. Of course I listen to the conservative talk radio all the time (and get plenty of their propaganda), I could go on and on.

I kinda like the windfarms, never seen on in person, I dont know what they sound like, but from the pics I've seen, I think there cool. I something on ABC morning show yesterday griping about the coal mining, seems there removing whole mountians for coal...someones gonna gripe in any situation, anything we do.

Now, I dont want an electric car, UH UH, no way hosea. I like my V8, and want it to stay. I need my truck, sometimes. I have been wanting another motorcycle though, to ride to work during the warm months.....Theres and idea, we all get bikes, my old suzuki got 40 mpg if I remember correctly.I have an '81 firebird sitting in my backyard, if I every get it finished, it wont be any fun without its V8.
My Harley gets almost 50 mpg with a 1450cc engine and over 700lbs weight. Pretty economical for a big bike. The scooters today can get a lot more mpg than that if you are so inclined to ride one in traffic. Reductions in engine size and auto weight only works one time, then whats next??

My choice is alternative fuel that we as a nation produce similar to what Brazil did. We are starting to produce Ethonal, but now or Government is trading it off to Brazil. They will give away the company store to gain power over other nations and to gain favor.

I think we need a Manhattan Project type of Government push to do the necessary research to find the ideal alternative energy source to get off the Middle East extortion trail.

G

·
surely, if we want to

away back in 1973 when dirt was new
the arabs stopped the oil
i was starting out in my door to door burner schtick
and, ohno-we-will-be-out-of-oil-by-1980
so i got out my pencil...
arkansas grows enough vegetable oil (cotton seed, soy, canola, corn)
and feeds enough beef (suet)
to run america (using coal for electricity)
easy as that
my collegues scarfed, so i set up a normal oil burner to burn canola
guess what? canola burns!

and a diesel will burn any oily thing
if you build it to do so

so why not?

there is more natural gas in alaska than has been found yet
could be gotten to market tomorrow, as liquid, for a price
i did not say cheap
LNG will push a bus just fine

makes me wonder who is running this counrty
and whose interests they are serving

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The control of the oil industry and auto industry directed in a way to continue the status quo is very powerfull. Until the oil industry buys up all the alternative sources of energy, which by the way they are doing right now with their excess profits, they will not allow a massive shift to alternative energy.

They are buying into everthing right now, processing plants for Ethanol, coal, natural gas supplies, and on and on. They have the money to develope those resources but will fix pricing to prevent any bargins. In my humble opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts