National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's from the Sig website in the FAQs about accuracy. Are they talking about pumpkins at 6pm and little cartons of half n half creme? Doh! I'm being facetious, but I really don't have the experience and/or knowledge to get this. Curious, thx

"All SIG SAUER production duty/combat pistols are set up to use a "combat" sight picture. This is where the front sight completely covers the bulls eye of the target. Using a six o'clock ("pumpkin on a post") or center mass ("half'n'half") sight picture will result in low impact. SIG SAUER, Inc sights in all non-sporting and non-target pistols for 2.5 inch groupings @ 15 yards. If you are still having trouble please contact Customer Service for further help and instruction. Please have your serial number ready. There are also very helpful free Internet sites that cover pistol group analysis."

·
Awesome
800 Posts
In the pic above, 1 and 2 work best for target shooting. Though I was always taught to use 1 with the bullseye itself right on top of the front post. I still use that hold for my hunting rifle and shotgun that have open sights.

3 works best for self defense shooting. Get the gun up fast, and get the front post on center mass of the target. After I practiced combat sighting enough, I ended up blacking out the rear sights on most of my carry guns. Only guns without blacked out rear sights I own now are the ones with night sights and range only shooters.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I wish I could shoot combat style. I can't stop the double sight picture with both eyes open.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.

·
Registered
18,220 Posts
All you should do is concentrate on putting a "focused front sight" into the center of a fuzzy target for combat. Front sight, front sight, front sight....always......

·
Super Moderator
14,144 Posts
I use #1 for everything with poi being top dead center on the front sight. I don't like #3 because it exacerbates the natural tendency to shoot high.

Alan

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
for me it depends on the gun and load............

my Colt Agent i have to use the pumpkin hold if i'm going to hit center.......my Charter is perfect center on the No. 2 half/half.......and my LCR is definately the combat hold sight picture.......

i shoot the LCR the most...make that a whole bunch more often........and when i change to the Colt the Dueling Tree reminds me real quick that i need to change my sight picture....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All you should do is concentrate on putting a "focused front sight" into the center of a fuzzy target for combat. Front sight, front sight, front sight....always......
I did not know any other technique existed. This is an interesting thread, all new to me

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
I wish I could shoot combat style. I can't stop the double sight picture with both eyes open.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.
I'm the same way. for the life of me i can't shoot with both eyes open.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
10,268 Posts
Myself as well. I combat sight with one eye closed. I have valiantly tried to keep both eyes open but can't seem to master it.
It also doesn't feel natural to me which is kind of odd I guess.

·
Genius in Training
474 Posts
I find #2 as the most enjoyable to shoot but I can make 3 work too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts