National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking at a bushnell banner dusk & dawn rifle scope to put on a 30-06.
3-9x40mm, 3.3" eye relief, FOV 40'-14'
Can someone explain to me what all of the numbers and abbreviations mean so i know more what to look for, or if this is the right thing
Also what is exit pupil (mm) and MOA

·
Registered
648 Posts
Not sure on the specs in question. I do however have a Bushnell on one of my rifles and I hate it. For the money I would go Tasco. If you can afford it I would look at Nikon. just my $.02

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
hayesvegas said:
i'm looking at a bushnell banner dusk & dawn rifle scope to put on a 30-06.
3-9x40mm, 3.3" eye relief, FOV 40'-14'
Can someone explain to me what all of the numbers and abbreviations mean so i know more what to look for, or if this is the right thing
Also what is exit pupil (mm) and MOA
3-9x40mm - A variable power scope. Lowest magnification power is 3X, highest magnification is 9X. The objective (front) opening is 40 milimeters in diameter, inside diameter.

3.3" eye relief - The scope is designed to be mounted on the rifle so that your eye is 3.3" from the ocular (rear) opening when you are sighting.

FOV 40'-14' - Field of View. At the lowest power setting (3X), without moving the scope, you can see 40 feet at 100 yards distance. At the highest setting (9X), you can see 14 feet.

exit pupil - The larger the exit pupil, the brighter the image obtained will be.

MOA - Minute of Angle. 1" at 100 yards. 2" at 200 yards. 3" at 300 yards, ect., etc.

A Bushnell Banner is not a very good scope.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what are the negatives on the bushnell banner? i want to stay around $100-$125. i don't need a long range high dollar scope. i live in the appalachains and you don't really get any long clear shots.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
With optics you usually get what you pay for. Clarity and brightness suffer as the price decreases. A dim and/or distorted sighting picture does not add to accuracy.

THE FOLLOWING IS JUST MY OPINION

The lowest quality scopes I would consider for a centerfire hunting rifle are,

Bushnell Elite 3200
Burris Fullfield II
Sightron S2
Nikon BuckMaster (maybe, their ProStaff)

If you shop around, it is possible that you can find these scope for sale for a price that nears your price range.

A good place to start is: http://www.swfa.com/default.aspx?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts