National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am brand new to this forum, I joined because I specifically wanted to ask this question. I am a Connecticut resident :mad2: however I currently live in Florida more most of the year. I am staying a ct resident for now for specific reasons I would rather not go into... Anyway I know I cannot buy a handgun legally in Florida as a non-res; however is it legal for me to buy in another state and bring to Florida to keep there as a CT res (if I have a FL and CT pistol permit)? Is it legal for a private sale to sell a pistol in FL to a non res? Another question I have is I would like to buy an AR style rifle to have in florida, ar style rifles are illegal in CT(we have something that is called the ct other...kinda an AR). As a CT resident can I legally buy a AR style rifle to keep at my place in FL? This gun would never see CT. I am just wondering if me as a CT res can have a gun in FL that would be illegal in CT? I know this might be an odd sanaro and as much as I despise many of the gun laws I wish to follow so I don't get in trouble.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not saying this as an expert, but from what I've seen, if you can buy it in your home state, and it is legal to use and have in the other state you should be good. Again, I AM NOT A LEGAL EXPERT, NOR US THIS PROFFESIONAL ADVICE. Please consult your local laws to verify

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
a resident of one State can not directly transfer a handgun to a resident of a different State......federal law

transfer must be thru an ffl of the resident State of the buyer

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I don't know what you are trying to do and why since you don't want to give out enough info. No you cannot legally do what I think you are trying to do.

You can only buy a handgun legally in your home state. So why do you ask if you can buy it in another state and take it to FL. It looks like you are doing or trying to do strange things my best advice is go elsewhere for the advice you seek.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,930 Posts
I'm not sure what Florida law requirements are for residency, but here in North Carolina, if you live in the state for 30 days, you are legally a resident. If you live in Florida and get bills through the US Mail to an address in Florida, you are probably already a legal resident of Florida. So you could go to the Florida DMV, get a Florida driver's license and then legally go to your LGS and purchase a firearm.

Another excellent reason for making Florida your home state is, Florida has no state income tax. So moving your residency to Florida now (before the end of the year), could save you $$$$ on your 2019 tax returns. You might save enough on taxes, to pay for a new firearm. Just saying.

·
AZHerper
3,662 Posts
I agree with fixitfred. Something sounds very "hinky" here to me. Generally, if that the case, it shouldn't be done.

·
Jesus Saves
7,797 Posts
Something smells fishy...........

Even if I did know the answer, I would not share it.

·
Super Moderator
11,188 Posts
As I understand it, if you buy a handgun legally, you can transport to any other state where that handgun is not specifically banned. Check your local laws.

As I understand it, you can buy a rifle in any state where it isn't banned and transport it to any other state that isn't banned.

If you get into a legal situation, you're likely to have issues proving your state of residency. If you spend more than half your time in a state, that is your state of legal residency.

--Wag--

·
Aim true !
10,027 Posts
Hmmm this kinda reminds me of the young lady from Fla. Well we all know how that turned out.

·
Super Moderator
11,188 Posts
Hmmm this kinda reminds me of the young lady from Fla. Well we all know how that turned out.
I was thinking that too, but you never know what's legit or not.

--Wag--

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To everyone who said that "this is fishy" Or a similar comment I am not sure why you wasted your time telling me that. The only fishy thing here is trying to LEGALLY exercise my second amendment right while complying with the laws of both states. To why I did not give enough information about me not transfering my residency to florida is absolutely none of anyone's business. If you are not comfortable giving advice for that or another reason... Don't comment anything. I am trying to get an answer so again I can own my guns here in FL LEGALLY! To everyone who gave valid advice thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
I don't know Floridas residency laws. there are some caveats, with all the Canadians and other northern foul. Why don't you just move here and sweat it out with the rest of us sweat hogs?

·
Super Moderator
11,188 Posts
To everyone who said that "this is fishy" Or a similar comment I am not sure why you wasted your time telling me that. The only fishy thing here is trying to LEGALLY exercise my second amendment right while complying with the laws of both states. To why I did not give enough information about me not transfering my residency to florida is absolutely none of anyone's business. If you are not comfortable giving advice for that or another reason... Don't comment anything. I am trying to get an answer so again I can own my guns here in FL LEGALLY! To everyone who gave valid advice thank you very much, I really appreciate it.
People can post whatever they like on this forum, excluding some basic and obviously offensive things. Chill out. You can ignore the stuff that doesn't help you and use whatever does. In short, don't tell people how to answer you. Forums get burned all the time by newcomers asking questions for nefarious reasons.

--Wag--

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
10,027 Posts
Kyle we do not know you. We get folks now and then who are trying to circumvent laws. One person who was trying to buy a gun in another state is now dead. I'll let it at that. Im not sure in there is still an investigation going on with it.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The reason why people are thinking "something is fishy" is because about a year ago a young woman came on here asking about the legalities of a FL resident traveling with or buying a shotgun to/in CO. As it turns out she was planning some sort of shooting and she ended up committing suicide once she found out the police were looking for here. Things like that tend to make people here cautious and hesitant to give advice about going to other states with guns, especially from first time posters. Take no offense for people being cautious or posting their thoughts on it.

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
The reason why people are thinking "something is fishy" is because about a year ago a young woman came on here asking about the legalities of a FL resident traveling with or buying a shotgun to/in CO. As it turns out she was planning some sort of shooting and she ended up committing suicide once she found out the police were looking for here. Things like that tend to make people here cautious and hesitant to give advice about going to other states with guns, especially from first time posters. Take no offense for people being cautious or posting their thoughts on it.

How did I miss that?

·
Jesus Saves
7,797 Posts
T. The only fishy thing here is trying to LEGALLY exercise my second amendment right while complying with the laws of both states.
Even you agree, your efforts are in fact "fishy". You said it yourself and then called me (us) out for saying it first.

What most people would do is contact the local authorities / attorney, not some forum where you do not know anyone. You need to check the laws in the states and not the "opinions" of people on a forum. You should be happy with our replies; they are cautious and honest. We do not know you and you do not know us. Asking legal questions on the internet is 99% a no-no.

Good luck, hope you find your answer before the fish stop biting.

BTW, a better question is to ask where you may find the answer to your questions. That is more like what you need, direction.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Comply with all state, local, and federal laws.

What's "fishy" to me, is you are a resident of another state, and spend most of your time, in Florida ? Sorry, that just doesn't sound logical. It's very simple,
and easy to change to a Florida residency. Then you would be a Florida resident, and if you passed a standard background check, you would be eligible to
legally purchase a firearm here.

Why do folks always want to do things the ass backwards difficult way?

It seems like a lot of folks come on this site, begging our blessings, for things they ALREADY KNOW are illegal.

Basically, if you have to ask, it's illegal. There's only one way to legally procure a firearm. The proper way.

We have no shortcuts to the law, here. Do it right. Everybody you are talking to on this site, here, has firearms obtained by the strictest standards of
the law. We all conform to these laws on a regular basis, and feel everybody else needs to follow proper legal channels, in order to become a firearm owner.

·
AZHerper
3,662 Posts
Adios Kyle! You're on the wrong forum.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts