National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm under 18, but I want to purchase a flare gun.
About how much should I be expecting to pay?
Do I have to be 18 to get one?
Is it illegal to use a flare gun if I'm not trying to get help in an emergency?

Where can I get non-emergency flares? I've been told red and orange flares are for emergencies only, and because of that, they're illegal to use if you're not in distress. Do they make other colors, and if so, where can I get them/are they able to be used in a non-emergency?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
What are you trying to do besides get in a heap of trouble?

Go to the corner fireworks shop and get the roman candles.

·
Super Moderator
14,627 Posts
I think that you can probably buy a flare gun. I don't know about the illegality of using it if there is no emergency. I know that if you pop off an emergency flare into the night sky, you should be prepared to talk to the police of even possibly the Coast Guard a little later on in the evening. They will take a very dim view of responding to a teenager's using an emergency flare for fun.

The police and even the State Police are really nice guys compared to the Coast Guard. They are a branch of the US Military and have a whole different set of rules about dealing with pranks. At the very least you can expect to be billed for the cost of the response.

So, I know that didn't answer your question but I hope it did.

Alan

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,413 Posts
Forget about the flare gun. Unless you have a ocean going boat, you don't need one. Instead go to your nearest fast food restaurant and ask for a job application.

·
Super Moderator
14,627 Posts
Forget about the flare gun. Unless you have a ocean going boat, you don't need one. Instead go to your nearest fast food restaurant and ask for a job application.

Now this is some really good advice.

Alan

·
Jesus Saves
8,051 Posts
I feel ANY person at a protest that has any kind of projectile device, including a flare gun, should immediately spend a few years in jail.....no bond.

That said, please explain why you would want one. Being non-specific gives the perception of bad intentions. And IMHO, under the current state of affairs, should without a doubt shine a bright light on the inquirer.

·
AZHerper
4,268 Posts
This mook is just trying to pull our chain for a response. Just ignore it. It probably won't even come back.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
This mook is just trying to pull our chain for a response. Just ignore it. It probably won't even come back.
11-17-2016, 08:21 PM: His first post.

11-17-2016, 08:31 PM: His second post, subsequently deleted by hgumshoe.

"I just want a flare gun. I wanted to know if it was legal and stuff because obviously I don't want to break any laws or waste my time"

Sounds legit to me.

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
Now I'm curious about the deleted post.....

·
Super Moderator
14,627 Posts
But really, join a gun forum to ask if you can buy a flare gun? Go down to Wal-Mart and put one on the counter with your money. You'll find out quick enough. There's directions and cautions on the package.

Whenever I want to find out if something is illegal, I normally ask the people who are going to arrest me if it is, not my two gazillion internet friends.

Alan

·
54,933 Posts
Now I'm curious about the deleted post.....
"I just want a flare gun. I wanted to know if it was legal and stuff because obviously I don't want to break any laws or waste my time"

·
54,933 Posts
But really, join a gun forum to ask if you can buy a flare gun? Go down to Wal-Mart and put one on the counter with your money. You'll find out quick enough. There's directions and cautions on the package.

Whenever I want to find out if something is illegal, I normally ask the people who are going to arrest me if it is, not my two gazillion internet friends.

Alan
We are two generations removed from 16+/- year olds.

·
Awesome
800 Posts
Well damn, now I want a flare gun too! Thanks alot! :mad2:

·
Super Moderator
14,627 Posts
Reactions: Ziggidy and Popeye

·
Super Moderator
14,627 Posts
I have a flare gun, two actually. They are in my boat in watertight containers along with enough flares to get plenty of attention. I've never fired either of them and with any luck will never fire them in my life. I try to take enough other precautions to make the eventuality of having to use the flares as remote as possible. Yet, I have two flare guns, with flares that are not dated.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,627 Posts
Oh and that is in addition to several packages of handheld areal flares and stationary flares.

Alan

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
SURE, I'll give you advice about flare guns.

Now, would you give me some advice about minors who make suspicious posts

concerning flammable projectile launchers ?

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,413 Posts
I've have a package of four road flares in my truck ...... to warn drives at night of a wreck or inoperable vehicle in the roadway.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts