National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in California, I have felonies on my juvenile record(nonviolent), could I still buy a handgun when I turn 21?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I highly doubt it. Especially in CA.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum. Try to take the opportunity to go over to the New Members forum and say howdy. We're a pretty friendly bunch.

In answer to your question: Yes and no. Very recently I had a customer in just that situation and here is what happened:

When I ran the FBI/NICS check, he came up "DELAY" (if you're not familiar with the terms, go to FBI/NICS for a complete explanation). I had to talk with a rep at the NICS center about another matter, so I asked about my customer. I was told that juvie offenses that are prosecuted AS juvie offenses do not count against the applicant. However, she said, that does not mean that it will not delay the transaction. In my customer's case, he failed to convert to "PROCEED" within the allotted time. I can legally sell him a hand gun because his application went past the allotted time. (Also, just for the record, the young man was in my shop with his father and were very forthcoming about the situation and explained the situation to me. If I was not satisfied with the explanation or feel they were being straight with me, it is my prerogative to refuse to sell)

NOW, there are some notable exceptions. The biggest one is that you live in a state that does its own checks, your state may have different criteria. Additionally, depending how the paperwork from your sentencing court was handled, may determine whether you need to go back and petition the court to seal or sequester the record.

Bottom line is that no one can give you a pat answer. Your best bet is to go ahead and try to pass the NICS or whatever background check your stated does. If it's NICS and you are denied, the FFL can tell you how to go into the appeals process. If it's state, you'll have to contact your state authority and find out what you need to do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gunrnr said:
First off, welcome to the forum. Try to take the opportunity to go over to the New Members forum and say howdy. We're a pretty friendly bunch.

In answer to your question: Yes and no. Very recently I had a customer in just that situation and here is what happened:

When I ran the FBI/NICS check, he came up "DELAY" (if you're not familiar with the terms, go to FBI/NICS for a complete explanation). I had to talk with a rep at the NICS center about another matter, so I asked about my customer. I was told that juvie offenses that are prosecuted AS juvie offenses do not count against the applicant. However, she said, that does not mean that it will not delay the transaction. In my customer's case, he failed to convert to "PROCEED" within the allotted time. I can legally sell him a hand gun because his application went past the allotted time. (Also, just for the record, the young man was in my shop with his father and were very forthcoming about the situation and explained the situation to me. If I was not satisfied with the explanation or feel they were being straight with me, it is my prerogative to refuse to sell)

NOW, there are some notable exceptions. The biggest one is that you live in a state that does its own checks, your state may have different criteria. Additionally, depending how the paperwork from your sentencing court was handled, may determine whether you need to go back and petition the court to seal or sequester the record.

Bottom line is that no one can give you a pat answer. Your best bet is to go ahead and try to pass the NICS or whatever background check your stated does. If it's NICS and you are denied, the FFL can tell you how to go into the appeals process. If it's state, you'll have to contact your state authority and find out what you need to do.
Thank you very much for your post, I've also asked this on yahoo answers and someone responded with this:

"In CA adjudications of guilt in juvenile court count as felony convictions for the purpose of prohibiting firearms possession."

I know very little about the law, is this true? If so, is there anything l can do to purchase a gun LEGALLY?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
NextFact said:
Thank you very much for your post, I've also asked this on yahoo answers and someone responded with this:

"In CA adjudications of guilt in juvenile court count as felony convictions for the purpose of prohibiting firearms possession."

I know very little about the law, is this true? If so, is there anything l can do to purchase a gun LEGALLY?
That may be so. I don't know CA law so I'm not sure whether the statement is true or not. Ask the dealer -- he should know. Otherwise, you can spend the time to research it through the actual statutes yourself. I wouldn't take anyone's opinion from an internet conversation as gospel. That includes mine. That said, my opinion is that such a pat answer that you got sounds fishy. Is the writer speaking to any felony? Is a juvie conviction that was suspended or deferred treated the same as one that wasn't? Too many if's and but's for my liking.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
You will not be able to pass the California background check with a felony conviction on your juvenile record.

There is one, and only one, way to get around this. Hire a lawyer and get your juvenile record sealed.

For what its worth, I work for a California firearm retailer.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Popeye said:
You will not be able to pass the California background check with a felony conviction on your juvenile record.

There is one, and only one, way to get around this. Hire a lawyer and get your juvenile record sealed.

For what its worth, I work for a California firearm retailer.
There you go! Mr. Popeye is the best authority on that sort of thing. CA is tougher than the feds (no surprise there).

As a former JPO I can tell you that, if you've straightened your life out and have no further criminal record or run-ins with the police, the suggestion of getting a lawyer to have your juvie record sealed is a very good idea.

Good luck!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I live in Florida and was charged with several felonies as a juvenile. Im 28 years old now with a CCW and I have bought my share of guns. My record was expunged though and that made all the difference. The judge did me that favor while in court. You should do like gunrnr says and seek council in a lawyer to get that record sealed. Itll help in getting a CCW, guns, or even a job. After your record is expunged any application you fill out, if the question is......Have you been convicted of a felony?..you get to answer NO..even when I buy guns it doesnt show on the background check.

·
Registered
213 Posts
just helping the young guy out. So I was a bad kid..everybody has a skeleton or two in the closet. It has taught me many important lessons and I've grown from it, truthfully I wouldnt have it any other way. Goodluck to you Doooode!!! :-B-:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vu-Doo said:
just helping the young guy out. So I was a bad kid..everybody has a skeleton or two in the closet. It has taught me many important lessons and I've grown from it, truthfully I wouldnt have it any other way. Goodluck to you Doooode!!! :-B-:
I concur. As a fellow past juvenile delinquent (with an expunged record), I can typically provide a different perspective, and more importantly, I know what it took and how hard it was for me to get to where I currently am. I have learned a helluva lot more along the way, whereas some others I know have sort of sailed through everything with minimal issues. Often, I have witnessed these individuals hit a bump and turn it into a major catastrophe that tears their lives apart. I am not recommending everyone rear their children to be hoodlums but a past criminal record does not have to mean the end of the world.

Live & learn!

·
Registered
213 Posts
paramour said:
Vu-Doo said:
I concur. As a fellow past juvenile delinquent (with an expunged record), I can typically provide a different perspective, and more importantly, I know what it took and how hard it was for me to get to where I currently am. I have learned a helluva lot more along the way, whereas some others I know have sort of sailed through everything with minimal issues. Often, I have witnessed these individuals hit a bump and turn it into a major catastrophe that tears their lives apart. I am not recommending everyone rear their children to be hoodlums but a past criminal record does not have to mean the end of the world.

Live & learn!
True! exactly what I mean. Ive learned things like taking nothing for granted. Some people get pissed because of little things like it being a Monday :lol: how lucky you are to be alive on a Monday in a great country working a crappy job being able to have a warm lunch at work with annoying people. Sure beats being someone in a 3rd world country. Life is good and I owe a little bit of it to my stupid ass former self.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Vu-Doo said:

I was just messing with you ~ It's what I do best.............. :twisted:

Everyone makes mistakes, but it's what you do with those mistakes, that counts!

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
I was in court one day on a business related issue, and while awaiting to go before the judge there was a case of this exact same issue.
(BTW - I am not implying that this relates to your situation at all, just a funny story)

I sat and listened to this lawyer give this great long inspirational speech about how this now 25 year old male had changed his life around and wanted a "childhood" felony removed from his record. He went on to state that this young man wanted to get a job in security, which would require him to carry a firearm...

The lawyer went on to say...
"He made mistakes your honor, we all do. He was a child, hanging around poor influences, and raised in a horrible home. He has paid his debt to the people of this state, and in my opinion, has earned the right to least try for a new beginning"

Now this lawyer went on and made an excellent case, gave a great speech... and certainly earned his pay on that day!

BUT THEN - The judged looked up... and started in with a sinister chuckle...

"Sir, your client wasn't a "child"... he was 17, and he was convicted of ARMED ROBBERY!" :eek:
(I didn't know what his felony was before this point)

The judge went on to say...
"Son... you robbed someone at gun-point, then assaulted them, and now you want a gun to work in security? Sure you changed your life around... that is what prison is all about... you were released 3 years ago, and your probation only expired 2 weeks ago. You want this removed from your record? I DON'T THINK SO... your request is denied... Now get the hell out of my court room!" :shock:

While the things we do in our youth should not haunt us forever... depending on what it is, it may very well do just that. I cannot believe that 1. this dude thought he had a chance, and 2. that a lawyer would even try to plead such a case. I was unable to stop laughing for nearly an hour... but then realized... now the judge is pissed off, and I'm next.... GULP! But all went as planned thankfully.

Moral of the story... some things classified as a "Felony" should not keep you from owning a firearm... But then again... there are several that absolutely should! It all depends on the "who, what, when, where, and why" of your particular situation.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Vu-Doo said:
I live in Florida and was charged with several felonies as a juvenile. Im 28 years old now with a CCW and I have bought my share of guns. My record was expunged though and that made all the difference. The judge did me that favor while in court. You should do like gunrnr says and seek council in a lawyer to get that record sealed. Itll help in getting a CCW, guns, or even a job. After your record is expunged any application you fill out, if the question is......Have you been convicted of a felony?..you get to answer NO..even when I buy guns it doesnt show on the background check.
yeah thats cause Florida, unlike my beloved Maryland, DOSENT have it's head up it's ass. See here you have to give a blood sample, stool sample, DNA test, rape test, pregnancy test, drug test, alcohol test, give your left hand and your right foot just to get a a hangun MUCH LESS a CCW... for that you need to do all the above, AND confirm at least SIX direct threats on your life (that part is true). God im moving to Florida.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts