National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe it was manufactured around 1906 and made by STAR. The gun has no model or serial number.
The only engravings on the pistol are:
Left side.jpg "STar- MADE IN SPAIN CAL 6.35" left side, (https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN8MI1ZUFosTpbz0i4sgsJL97Ff6wHpOPeZCelE)
Right Side.jpg and "READ OWNERS MANUAL BEFORE USING" right side, (https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO_kAKP42IjBQE3GPkdfKGRZaWHN4BaaphduDE1)

Also, (https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNujXco0acV9iavHgV-fixSYxo6jnx2rYQNnyAK) shows the mag clip holder

Any ideas or guesses are welcomed. Thank you all in advance for taking the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked this webpage out prior to posting this thread and was not convinced on either the E or F series because too many things on my gun are different. Ex; Hammer, barrel, safety placement, engravings \ markings. Can you explain why my gun is so different to the E\F series pictures as posted on your link? Basically, how can you be sure it's an E\F series if there are as many differences as there are.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
From all the info I was able to find on Star pistols, the E and F series were the only vest pocket type pistols made by that company, and the only pistols offered by Star in 6.35mm/.25ACP caliber. None of the photo links you posted in your first post are working. Its not unusual for some firearms made prior to 1968 to not have serial numbers. I don't know where you are located but serial numbers weren't required on firearms imported into the U.S. prior to 1968. I did find it odd that a firearms of that age would have "READ OWNERS MANUAL BEFORE USING" stamped onto the slide as this is uncommon except on firearms of much more recent manufacture. The STar stamping is also unusual. Upon some further checking this pistol doesn't compare with any pistols made by Star Its looking more and more like a blank firing replica of some sort.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
looks similar to an FIE Titan to me.........though i know thats wrong. I think a lot of outfits way back when cranked out a lot of pocket pistols and some were perhaps counterfeit as in putting someone else's brand on it to hopefully sell as more quality..

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
looks similar to an FIE Titan to me
I noticed the similarity too, but the FIE Titans were made by the Italian firm Tanfoglio. This one is clearly stamped STar and MADE IN SPAIN. Every other Star pistol I've seen was stamped STAR not STar which leads me to believe that the gun pictured is some sort of replica possibly a blank firing or tear gas gun. Also the metal appears to be some sort of poorly plated potmetal casting. Take a closer look at the cocking serrations on the slide and you can see what I mean.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
yep it looks a tad rough.........

i remembered something about the old spanish ruby pistols and about gun makers in Spain.......so i hunted a bit and found this

Back at the beginning of the 20th century, Spain had a significant number of relatively small gunmaking shops throughout its northern Basque area. The area has been known for its metalworking resources and prowess for literally two thousand years, and it is little surprise that firearms manufacture would thrive there. In addition, a loophole in Spanish patent law gave these small shops an international advantage: a Spanish patent was only valid if the device in question was actually manufactured in Spain within three years of patent being granted. The major arms designers of the time had their factories in France, Germany, Great Britain, and elsewhere, but not in Spain. So new firearms developments were, practically speaking, not patented in Spain and could be copied there without legal penalty.
now i am wondering as i never considered it.....was the italian FIE titan a copy of some older design......and was that design of spanish origin or FN or who?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
now i am wondering as i never considered it.....was the italian FIE titan a copy of some older design......and was that design of spanish origin or FN or who?
Bingo I think you nailed it Deputy... At least your ideas lead to a search in another direction The gun pictured is a knockoff at least in appearance to the Excam Targa model GT27 that was made by Tanfoglio of Italy. These guns were also marketed as TITAN and imported by FIE of Florida. Their import was banned in 1968. Later they were shipped and assembled by FIE here in the U.S. in order to get around the import ban. Tanfoglio made guns were actually decent quality just nothing fancy. Here is a picture of the GT27

I believe the gun pictured by the OP to either be a spanish knockoff of this pistol and not actually manufactured by the well known firm of STAR or a blank firing or possibly tear gas firing look alike of the model GT27 Tanfoglio pistol

·
Super Moderator
14,635 Posts
Maybe it's just the light or camera angle but it looks like it has taken a little bit of abuse on the left side of the frame and slide. I appears to be bent. May just be the light or my eyes.

Alan

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Star is/was a Spanish manufacturer. It is chambered for .25 ACP which is basically exactly the same as the 6.35 mm cartridge. The Italian Tanfoglios that were imported by FIE are the same cartridge. I know, I have one. I bought it for my wife. The patent date (as mentioned above) will not likely be the date of manufacture. However, the Titans are good little pistols and were made with quality steel (not the Stars and probably not that one)

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
The warning on the barrel about "Read owner's manual..." is a fairly recent development. I doubt manufacture prior to 1968 at earliest; probably not until the 1990s or so.

It may have a 'patent date' of 1906, but nothing from that era has such warnings in roll stamps.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
These were imported until the the 1968 import ban. FIE which was a Florida importer went out of business due to the import restrictions. The Star .25 is not the Titan which was Italian manufactured.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts