National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Aim true !
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been having trouble with TG causing leading with SNS coated cast bullets. Mostly with 9mm and 380. Later i read on the site to stay away from the top 15 fastest powders. Well came up with the idea of putting an FMJ in the mag 1st. Then top off with the cast. Ran 50 round of the SNS though my baby rock today, It was one of my worst leaders. When i got home i patched the barrel with ed's red. Then brushed the bore for 30 strokes. Dry patched till clean then light oil patched. Checked the bore. Nice and clean. So 7 shots of cast lead followed by an fmj did the trick. Except the last mag.

·
Super Moderator
12,643 Posts
Be careful doing that. Sometimes, the FMJ merely packs the lead into your barrel grooves much tighter. Better to just clean the barrel/avoid the powder/etc.

--Wag--

Reactions: deputy

·
Aim true !
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i read about folks who try to shoot the lead out of a already leaded barrel packing it in more. I was scoping it as i was going along to with my fiber optic light. I didn't want to pack it in and cause a pressure spike as well.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Be careful doing that. Sometimes, the FMJ merely packs the lead into your barrel grooves much tighter. Better to just clean the barrel/avoid the powder/etc.

--Wag--

Half the people you talk to says it works and the other says what you said. Also heard of barrel bulging too. Some of my older cast bullets were a little on the soft side and would get some leading in 9mm and 45acp. I started ending my shooting session with a mag or two of jacketed bullets and it cut down the leading with those bullets drastically. Maybe it depends on the amount of leading, speeds of the jacketed bullets or some other factor but this has worked for me. Now with having my mixtures down and coating bullets it's not a problem but i do still have some of that older ammo loaded up that i still have to shoot.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
a Lewis Lead Remover kit is the best thing i have ever used for moderate leading......

soaking the bore in KROIL overnight and brushing the hound out of it the next day works as well....

best thing i can think of is shoot up what bullets you have.....waste not/want not....and switch to a different bullet in hardness and try again.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
how fast are you pushing the rounds?

·
Aim true !
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im going to go back with Missouri bullet co bullets. I didn't have any issues with them. Im pushing the 380's about 950 fps and the 9mm around 1100 fps. Others have had issues with TG powder causing this i have read. I been using what powder i have left on jacketed. I have some Missouri bullets for my 44 mag im going to try them with some TG see how they do. TG data for them puts the velocity at 1060.

·
Live Free
3,512 Posts
Unique and Universal have worked well for me with lead bullets. Universal is a little cleaner. 2400 works good for hotter loads with lead and big bore stuff. Universal has worked best in semi-auto pistols with lead bullets cause it is cleaner. I have never even tried coated bullets, just cast lead (Missouri bullets are okay), and I have not had leading issues. I don’t use as much cast lead as I used to now, but I have shot a bunch. Some even with 44 mag loads with H110...pretty stout loads.

·
Aim true !
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I been using Uniques sport pistol it's made for coated bullets. So far no issues. And what data they have runs very close to TG. The newest speer manual has data for sport pistol on some loads. I went on my own with what is not listed. Ran it with starting loads of TG and worked up.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
been using missourri bullets for a while now..........
have used their..........
158 semi wad cutter....good accuracy with RED DOT and Accurate No. 2
158 gr RNFP.......fair bullet but i am fumbling on occasion with speed loaders and this bullet profile.

i am wanting to give those 140 gr TCFP a whirl on my next order.......

if i can save up enough brass to make it worth the expense, then i will get some dies and order some 32 cal bullets for the 32 h&r....but it is hard to give up the 38 special as i am so heavily invested in it with multiple firearms and thousands of rounds of loaded ammo and brass on hand waiting to be reloaded.......

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I started out with Missouri bullets in cast. Tried to save a buck with others. I learned my lesson. I like they give you bullets with the lube grove too in the coated. A little less drag on the bullets going down the bore.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you are stuck with commercial bullets that lead the bore simply give the bullets a very light tumble lube in Lee Liquid Alox.
All I do for barrel leading is buy some all-copper Chore-Boy pads, remove a few copper strands and wrap around a bronze brush, and a few swipes with this brush and Hoppe's #9 does the trick.

·
Aim true !
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's the powder im using. It's a hot burning powder. I changed to Alliants sport pistol. Sport pistol was designed for coated bullets. It's been working out well. Just working through the rounds loaded with the Tite group. Im getting there. I been loading 2 jacked rounds in the mag 1st. And yes the copper wool does help get the lead out too. Im getting some leading with the T.G and Missouri bullets too. So it's not just the SNS ones.

·
Registered
108 Posts
TiteGroup is extremely HOT, but I fire it without leading when I am testing new loads. So far, it has been more like WideGroup, but leading isn't an issue.
Leading is more a FIT issue than a powder issue. If you use a larger bullet, you'll see a lot less leading.

·
Aim true !
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have some .358 124 grain coated lead RN. I was thinking about loading for 9mm. But im concerned with pressure issues. I usually run .356 in 9mm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts