National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
might be taking a trip to CA come october.......

and with the current laws and such about getting there and when i get there i have to study hard....

the family and i are debating taking a train. that opens up a bunch of questions that i currently do not have answers for. Such as concealed carry on an amtrak or checking it in luggage on amtrak.....just do not know.

the next consideration is perhaps driving to CA. Purty straight forward there as it roughly 1200 miles one way down interstate 10 and 8 as we will be going to some town in the southern part. Do not see a problem thru texas, nm, or az......

but problems when i hit CA when i get there by truck or train as in they do not honor tx concealed carry. I do have my retirement ID and paperwork but i do not know if i can even trust LEOSA to carry in CA.....i have never depended on leosa for anything and too many officers are ignorant of it as far as i can tell.

then there is the problem of the gun itself......i do not know if my guns must be on the CA approved list if i manage to use the leosa carry.....and my understanding is high cap mags are a no-no ........so the p85 ruger will have to be removed as a truck gun......that leaves me back to the model 64 service revolver for the truck (if approved) and the lcr i guess for the pocket. The shotgun i keep in the truck? i have no idea if that is legal in CA or not.......or if a winchester sxp riot gun is on the approved list or if the approved list applies to visitors or just CA State residents......or is it even legal in CA to leave a gun unattended in a vehicle?....think i might have read something about such but am not sure.

this might be more trouble than its worth.......but the wife insists i come along with her to visit a long lost aunt.....and yes.....they are going to go to disneyland.......i am planning on staying at their house in a recliner and doing nothing for 5 days......

but i will not go without a gun............

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Even as a former LEO I wouldn't risk bringing a handgun into CA. or expecting them to honor LEOSA. If you were still active with your department I wouldn't trust CA LEO's to recognize your status. Best advice I can offer is not to take a handgun into CA.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
No carry on the train - treated just like an airplane.

You cannot carry in CA

·
Super Moderator
12,643 Posts
So many pitfalls, it just isn't worth the risk.

--Wag--

Reactions: Kobs

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i really, really, really do not want to travel there now...........

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
As a police officer you'd probably have less problems crossing the Canada border with a gun.... but who wants to come here right :lol:

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
saved money for about a year, on what would be a lifetime vacation for us....and i can not trust their law enforcement, judicial system, or be able to protect me and mine........

maybe we should just send her a train ticket to come to us...

Reactions: Stevejet

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As a police officer you'd probably have less problems crossing the Canada border with a gun.... but who wants to come here right :lol:
i retired out honorably after 33 plus years...........now i am a justice of the peace behind the desk and magistrate at the jail.......i had a police officer angry at me the other day because i released his suspect from jail due to lack of probable cause on his affidavit........and had another suspect angry at me because i set a high bond and would not pr him out.........just can't please everyone!!!!

·
Registered
19,932 Posts
"but i will not go without a gun......."

Well, I've been getting around Kalifornia since 1992 without carrying a gun. Fortunately my dexterity with sharp instruments and a lack of social skills have served to protect me, I would like to think.

Perhaps if you came charging into Kalifornia at "top speed", horn blaring, lights in flasher-mode, you and the wife brandishing and waving a couple of gats out the driver and passenger windows, and just blast on by the Agriculture Inspection Station road-block, why I do believe you would duly impress the authorities here. In fact, they'd probably issue a bulletin to all LEO that you mean business and they'd pretty well just leave you alone.

Now. The Kalifornia criminal and gang elements? That's another story, pard. Good luck. Or as the temporary arms dealer says, "A good cigar for you. eh?"

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,911 Posts
.......but the wife insists i come along with her to visit a long lost aunt.....

Just a thought. Why don't you pay for a plane ticket, so the long lost aunt can come to Texas to visit y'all???

·
Registered
15,187 Posts
"but i will not go without a gun......."

Well, I've been getting around Kalifornia since 1992 without carrying a gun. Fortunately my dexterity with sharp instruments and a lack of social skills have served to protect me, I would like to think.

Perhaps if you came charging into Kalifornia at "top speed", horn blaring, lights in flasher-mode, you and the wife brandishing and waving a couple of gats out the driver and passenger windows, and just blast on by the Agriculture Inspection Station road-block, why I do believe you would duly impress the authorities here. In fact, they'd probably issue a bulletin to all LEO that you mean business and they'd pretty well just leave you alone.

Now. The Kalifornia criminal and gang elements? That's another story, pard. Good luck. Or as the temporary arms dealer says, "A good cigar for you. eh?"

You mean the people that the laws don't stop from having guns?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You are violating the "Kiss my ass , I'm on vacation !" policy.

Basically, with all the places to go which allow CC, why would you spend a dime anywhere they are restrictive of your gun rights ?

My money follows my gun, not the other way around.

Vote with your wallet. There's a lot of nice places to spend your money who are supportive of your gun rights, who need your support.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
You are violating the "Kiss my ass , I'm on vacation !" policy.

Basically, with all the places to go which allow CC, why would you spend a dime anywhere they are restrictive of your gun rights ?

My money follows my gun, not the other way around.

Vote with your wallet. There's a lot of nice places to spend your money who are supportive of your gun rights, who need your support.
You miss the part about this visiting family?

Secondly, there are a LOT of gun owners in California. Interestingly enough that CA and NY have more shotgun clubs than just about the rest of the country combined.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts